PDA

View Full Version : Discus dilemma

Frameshift
12-09-2002, 07:27 PM
I have been offered three discus, two of them a breeding pair, for $20. (Lady dismantled her tank for the christmas tree.) They are a little over a year old and are about 5" long and 6" high. One is a turquoise discus, and two are
golden turquoise I think. (Bright orange background with turquoise spots over most of the body.) They have been kept in neutral PH (7.0 like mine) all their lives and are the best looking discus I have ever seen.

The dilemma is this-

I have a 100 gallon, 65 gallon, and a 29 gallon, with
partitions I can use on the 100 and 29. Filtration is fine on all tanks, and weekly water changes are practiced, which I can increase easily.

The hundred (72 X 18 X 18) has a 10" oscar, 7" JD, 5"
firemouth, 7" syno osc., and a 8" pleco, so it is out of the
question as for adding discus with out the divider, and I
will not get rid of any of these fish.

The 65 (36 X 18 X 21) is empty, and I have everything to
set it up but a stand, which I can build in a week or two,
but I don't have a spot for it except where the 29 is now.

The 29 (36 X 12 X 18) has two 2" convicts, which I can
easily trade in and get credit towards the discus.

Here are my options~

1. I can stick a divider in the 100 and put the discus in
there, but not as permanant housing.

2. I can get rid of the convict cichlids and stick the discus in the 29, but they will outgrow it right?

3. Do 1 or 2 and build the stand for the 65, take down the
29, put the 65 in its place, and seed the tank with the 29 filter.

4. Not buy beautiful expensive fish for cheap and watch them die at the LFS. (Who wants option 4?)

Three seems like my best option, but how long would the
discus be in the 29 alone, or divided 100 before they
needed the 65? It will take a week or two, (a month at the
very most) to get the stand built and get the tank in
place, so do I have that much time? Leaving them at the
LFS isn't an option, right now they are in a 20 with 3 silver
dollars and 3 festivms, none of which are larger than 3".

Sorry for the long post, but I need some help from discus
experts, having never had them before. (Too dang
expensive!)

fcdiscus
12-09-2002, 07:36 PM
I would dump the convicts, put the three Discus in the 29 and get them used to your water and feeding etc., and then get the 65 ready, because you will have more Discus shortly! When that is set up, put all three in the 65, and use the 29 as a quarentine tank for your next group of Discus. HTH! Frank ;)

Ralph
12-09-2002, 07:40 PM
I think that three discus will be OK in the 29 gal, even permanently. I have a preference for easy solutions.

redlines
12-09-2002, 08:03 PM
I agree with Frank.

Use the 29 for now. Don't even think about the 100 unless you get rid of the other fish in it first as they are not a good mix even with a divider.

If you really have a breeding pair you will need one of your larger tanks for grow outs eventually.

So if I were in your place I would plan on using ALL THREE TANKS for Discus. :)

Andy

Richman
12-09-2002, 09:32 PM
From what you say, I take it that you can only use the 29 or 65 because of space consideration, not both at once. If that is true, put the convicts in the 100 with the other fish for the time being. I don't see any serious incompatability except sometimes the firemouth may get overwhelmed if some of the others get too aggressive. The divider will solve any problem you have there. Then set up the 65. Far better than the 29 if you can only keep one at this time. Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get about a half dozen large concrete blocks, a piece of plywood, and a sheet of foam insulation. Place the blocks as the tank stand. Plywood laid over the top. Level and place foam insulation on top. Instant stand till you have the time to make something better. (You can use chipboard instead of plywood, probably cheaper). If you don't like the look, it can be decorated or covered in front in all sorts of ways. Then you have the 100 and the 65. More room and more options. The 29 can be set up about anywhere later. I have one setting on top of my dresser in my bedroom. LOL Who needs a stand. Potential breeding tank. You will need it. HTH
Richard

Frameshift
12-10-2002, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the help, too bad it won't do any good. I didn't move fast enough and all three were sold for $29.99 a piece, when I could have gotten all three for $20. :'(

I'm seriously considering discus now though...gonna bulid the stand and set up the 65 and see what I can do.

Ryan
12-10-2002, 07:40 PM
My biggest suggestion to you is to read all you can here and ask questions. There are tons of old threads here about new setups, you will see the same answers over and over again. They are recommended for a reason. Study them well, learn the water parameters needed. Your pH sounds great, so all you really need to remember is lots of water changes, and warm temps.

Discus are more work than other tropicals and do take dedication, but they are rewarding. They have many of the same cichlid behaviors that the fish in your 100 gallon do, but with a more gentle disposition and an inquisitive personality. If you enjoy your other cichlids, you will love discus.

Ryan

dm
12-10-2002, 08:29 PM
(Lady dismantled her tank for the christmas tree.)

This really disturbs me. Is she getting help? ;)

OEG
12-10-2002, 08:41 PM
Hey DM...if you ask me shes beyond help, now if it were me id pu the presents oround the tank with the discus....hell there probably better looking than the tree anyway. ;)
OEG