PDA

View Full Version : how to keep the babies at the same size ?

ping
12-09-2002, 11:38 PM
Hello,

How do you keep the babies growing at the same size?
I feed them with sera micron, sera micropan, and crunched tetra color bits. Recently, i started to feed them with micro worm. I do water change twice a week.

Thanks,
Ronny

darcy
12-10-2002, 12:39 AM
Hi Ronny
How big are your babies and how old? I'm not an expert but I don't think they will all grow the same. I have some fry now that are only on there 2nd week of life and with a magnifying glass I can see that some are already bigger than other's. Anyone else?
Darcy

12-10-2002, 07:20 AM
The trick is to make sure they all get their share of the food. How? Small container with lots of food. So much that the water get so cloudy after a couple of feedings. You have no choice but to make a hundred percent water change. HTH
Jimmy.

ping
12-10-2002, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the replies,

The babies are 2 months old from first succesful spawn. Most of them are about 1", some about 0.5". Not so many only about 13 babies (4 gone to heaven) :'(.

I also have 2.5 weeks fry from second spawn, they are in slightly different size as well. but not too obvious (except for two which are really tiny). I have about 40 babies from this spawn. :)

Thanks for the trick Jimmy. I guess that i will be skinnier (changing water too many times, and spending too much money on the baby food). The babies will get fat. ;D

12-10-2002, 10:32 AM
I do as Jimmy says, add lots of food so it clouds the tank. But I only do 40-50% water changes and let a HOT Magnum get the free-floating bbs or other debris. I stick a sponge on the intake tube to prevent fry from being sucked up and a sponge on the output tube to lessen the current. The tank is crystal clear in an hour. This allows you to do that kind of feeding without worrying about doing huge water changes throughout the day.

Dave

EthanCote.com
12-10-2002, 11:39 AM
Hi Ronny,

I'm no expert since I do not even have a breeding pair at the moment. What Jimmy and Dave suggested sounds good to me.

But just to put in my two Canadian cents, if you have spare tanks, perhaps you can separate the fries into 2 or 3 groups of similar size into their own tanks. Perhaps this will prevent the bigger ones from getting all the foods all the time.

What are people's comment about this approach?

Cheers,

Chi.

12-11-2002, 03:45 PM
What Chi said is very true. You have to separate them if you have a large brood. The male tend to grow faster and get the lion share of the food. You have to split in 2 tanks. I usually have one "for sale" and "not for sale" tank.the smaller one will catch up and very often overtake the larger group at 3-4".
Jimmy.

ping
12-11-2002, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the replies,

Yeah, i agree with Chi to seperate them.
And will feed them more ... :)