PDA

View Full Version : what size do tefe greens start to colour up?

mas
12-10-2002, 01:04 AM
Hello,

was just wondering if anyone here knows what size tefe greens / red spotted tefe greens start to colour up?

i have 4 tefe greens and 2 royal green babies right now, and a lfs has recently got in some "red spotted tefe greens".. i was hoping to get maybe one or two more for breeding later since they're definitely different stock. the ones at the shop are about 8-10cms (~3") in length (larger than my babies) and look reasonably healthy, but compared to some of mine they dont seem to have much colour on them.. my tefe's are about 4-6 cm and already are starting to show a good number of spots on their sides... the royals however are basically colourless.

was just wondering what you guys thought.

ps. my first post so hello everyone!! :)

April
12-10-2002, 05:48 AM
HI Mas and welcome. are your fish bred from wilds as in F1` or do you know what generation?
i had F1's and they took forever. also...had some who never spotted. theres alot of genes mixed around in wilds. so you can end up with many things. But they turned into very nice fish. some don't spot till quite late.
Hard to answer really...sounds like you got some interesting fish.
heh...heres a post for you to read. you have a bit of catching up to do. http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=18;action=display;threadid=2348
;D

Mattzilla
12-10-2002, 06:33 AM
hi mas

i know nothing about your problem.... just wanted to say hi and find out where in australia you are? it's always good to see some aussiea around here!

cheers

limige
12-10-2002, 08:17 AM
i would guess about 3-4 months they would start as yours have showing the spots, maybe 6-8 to get a real good idea of their color?

but here's an adult tefe red spotted

mas
12-11-2002, 04:20 AM
thanks for the tips. :))

i live in sydney but actually picked the greens up recently when visiting family on the gold coast, got them packed and brang them back on the plane with me, was quite an adventure (they all made it back too :))

the lady at the lfs on the coast said she imported them from somewhere, didnt mention where but im guessing somewhere in asia as it would be the closest.. no idea about the generation. they look like they're going to colour up nicely, i cant wait for them to grow a bit more.

for anyone interested in sydney, they're at aquarium world (i think its called) in manly.. its the large aquarium on the main road with the cichlids in the show tank near the entrance.. they have quite a few greens there but they're selling them for $125 :( my baby tank is full with these 6 so im not in a hurry to get any more. perhaps just one of them when mine have grown a bit more :)

thanks again. limige yeh that looks like a nice fish. i like the greens in particular at

http://www.bj.wakwak.com/~discus/Ev/e-gallery.html

and at a discus dream.

hope mine turn out something like those!

edit: i just posted a pic of them in the aussie thread april mentioned above if anyones interested!