PDA

View Full Version : gene pools

limige
12-10-2002, 08:58 AM
curious pondering genetics.

i know it is custom to cull out the runts, odd shaped and ill proportioned fish but why exactly.

it is recessive gene's that bring these abnormalities right? isn't it just as likely that the cull rate of their spawn will be normal compared to others?

or was i off base in thinking....does it almost guarantee that most will be culls out of the batch.

main reason i'm asking is i have a few fish that i started off with that were culls and now one is a female laying eggs. if the color on the fish is desirable but the shape is not, can you get some good fish out of the batch or is a waste of time?

seems to me genetics is so unpredictable that you never really know.... but it seems most discus are pretty predictable when you breed two fish of the same strain.

can't say i was ever really strong in biology, didn't see much a need for that stuff then, hehe, guess that's the way life goes, you'll learn it sooner or later, ha.

Dennis_Hardenburge
12-10-2002, 09:47 PM
I would go ahead and spawn the fish and raise one batch of fry, even an inexspierenced person should be able to tell whether the fry are good shaped or not by eight weeks old
Dennis

cobalt
12-11-2002, 08:49 AM
runts can be caused due to enviormental things. also do to multu allele genes. in eng that means that culling will help but not solve the problem/

anyway it will save you $$$$$$$ on growing runts.
Cobalt