PDA

View Full Version : Heat packs for shipping.

EthanCote.com
12-10-2002, 03:25 PM
Hello all,

I was wondering where do I go to get some heat pack for shipping Discus?

And what is involved in the heat pack? Boil water dump in a container to warm up the Discus??

Danks.

Cheers,

Chi.

Ryan
12-10-2002, 03:31 PM
Heat packs are little packets that turn warm when you expose them to air, shake them, etc. There are other kinds that you warm in the microwave and they hold their heat. My uncle used to take them hunting with him when it was cold. He'd keep them in his jacket pockets to stay warm :)

I found one site that sells them, though you may be able to find them cheaper elsewhere. These are the kind you can shake and they turn warm. Also, I think if you go to places like Walmart or Kmart they used to sell them in the sporting goods section near all the hunting stuff.

http://www.northcoastmarines.com/htpc.htm

Ryan

Jeff
12-10-2002, 03:40 PM
Chi,

I bought mine from John at Jehmco.

http://www.jehmco.com/

12-10-2002, 05:02 PM
Check Wal-Mart, they normally have them on sale this time a year (Hunting season) I picked up several dozen the last time they had them on sale. FYI..They were only 20 cent each..........................Randy

EthanCote.com
12-10-2002, 05:14 PM
Thanks guy, good to know. I'll stop by my local friendly Walmart now. Hmm not sure if there is a Walmart around here guess I'll check out Zellers instead.

Danks.

Cheers,

Chi.

PS: Elmo: Its wabbit season ;D

12-10-2002, 05:15 PM
The best one's that I have found are at Florida Tropical Fish Farms. I have field tested all kinds of different brand (hunting) and these seem to last the longest (24hrs+) and get the hottest. I think there 40cents a piece, if your a club member.

Mike

EthanCote.com
12-10-2002, 05:24 PM
I am just thinking ahead of time and I was planning to bring some Discus home in my napsack for a 6 hours bus ride. I was gonna line the napsack with a towel and some heat packs. How many heat packs should I used? I do not want to over heat them.

Better question would be, how high a heat can these heat pack raise the water in a bag?? Also what is the proper way of using them?

Danks all.

Cheers,

Chi.

limige
12-10-2002, 06:42 PM
hard to overheat fish that will live in 90 degree water, lol. the heat packs aren't that hot, hunters put them right against their skin to keep warm, in their boots or gloves, so there're not hot enough to create an issue.

how many depends on the size of the bag, i'm guessing 3-4 per side on each side and botttom, shoot i don't know, i haven't done it either! lol

hey you wanna bring me some home too!

Jeff
12-10-2002, 06:46 PM
In a back pack I would think 3 would keep it just fine. Most heat packs do need fresh air to continue to work. Keep that in mind.

EthanCote.com
12-10-2002, 07:02 PM
hehe thanks Limige for trying.

Thanks Jeff for the correct answer ;)

If I do decide to bring some back home, I'll let you all know how the heat pack went.

Cheers,

Chi.