PDA

View Full Version : She laid eggs

cramramdon
12-11-2002, 06:57 AM
I have had four tourquoise discus for about 7 months now. They are about 4-5" and residing in a 25 gal. bare bottom tank. There is an upside down flower pot in there as well as a female and male bristlenose. The tank temp is 86 degrees and the ph is about 6.5 - 6. There is a HOB aqua clear filter stuffed with AC sponges and set on the lowest setting as well as a sponge filter in the tank. One of the four discus tried laying some eggs on the flower pot yesterday, but the biggest one followed her by eating them. They both worked as a team in fending the spawning site. I realize that I should put them in a tank by themselves. Is this common behavior for a male to eat the first spawn from his mate? Or is this a sign that they won't be pairing up?

thanx
cram

darcy
12-11-2002, 10:11 AM
Lots of discus eat there first spawn. Males tend to mature slower then females. The male just doesn't know what he is doing. Could be you have 2 females. One pair I have ate the eggs 4times already. the last time they left the batch until day 2. They are getting better over time. 7 months is kind of young imo. Also it could be they ate them cause the tank is to small for 4 discus.
Darcy

Pick
12-11-2002, 03:36 PM
Until they are older and you have seen them protect the eggs from the others in the tank just let them keep at it. If they are a fertile pair they will show you eventually.

TC