PDA

View Full Version : Nobody said raising fry was the HARD part!

Sean
12-11-2002, 02:10 PM
My pair of Scribbled Reds from a well know Breeder in the Great Lakes have finally successfully spawned. There were probably 60-70 eggs and most turned into wigglers. At free swimming for a week I noticed 40-50 free swimmers still. Now at almost 4 weeks I have only 20 left.

The last week they were with their parents, the water quality started to get knida bad, because I was afraid to get in there and do some serious house keeping. So live and learn.

I do notice that a few of the remaining babies have very underdeveloped dorsal fins. I'm not sure if some are immature or these are what's known as culls.

Just thought I'd ramble and see if anyone can give suggestions to feeding and to tank conditions of the parents before separation.

Thanks,

Sean.

12-11-2002, 03:35 PM
They are the result of acid burn. Ph must have dropped below 5.5. . Sorry to tell you that they're culls. not worth keeping. Next time make sure to bring the Ph up by adding tap water. Water softness is not important after they have hatched. they need some minerals for proper fin developement esp. Ca. HTH.
Jimmy.

Sean
12-11-2002, 03:41 PM
Hey Jimmy thanks. The parents are in tap water that is generally over 7.4 after 24 hours. Seems kind of strange.

Could ph burn come from the fluctuation from non-aerated tap water?

I feel bad that it's my fault but hopefully there will be more to come!!

Sean.

Discusgeo
12-11-2002, 09:47 PM
Sean don't worry you will figure it out. While the eggs are on the cone and until they become free swimming I don't feed my pairs because they usually won't eat so the water stays clean. Once free swimming and on the third day I start replacing 5 gallons of water a day with clean, heated tap water. The pump I use replaces the water very slowly. It takes about 20 minutes to pump it in. Once they are 7 days old I am changing 10 gallons per day. At 2 weeks its 20 gals a day. This may sound like alot to you but it works for me and I am not losing any babies yet. You got to keep the water clean.

Sean
12-12-2002, 09:45 AM
Thanks Geo.

I like the idea of pumping in the water slowly. I know next time around I'll pay more attention.

Hopefully they give me the opportunity.

Thanks,

Sean.