PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a stunted fish?

heavyp83
12-12-2002, 02:18 PM
I've got my 7 fish all in my 40 gallon tank and they're doing great, except for the one runt. He's a wattley straided red (not originally directly from wattley) He's always been a bit small but I've noticed how fast the others are growing compared to him. His eyes are also way big in proportion to his body size. What should I do with him? 8)

EthanCote.com
12-12-2002, 02:24 PM
Can you say filet-o-fish?

I have a great recipe involving butter, lime juice and a pan. Care to try it?

Just kidding.

Alot of people here will keep their runts as testers of newly set up aquariums, feed them to their other fishes, use them with newly acquired Discus so they will be the target to be picked on and not the newly acquired ones, use them as testers for new medications and medicated amount, and of course many will keep them due to sentimental values and loves for them.

Take your pick.

Cheers,

Chi.

roger
12-12-2002, 02:41 PM
IMO keep it around, since you never know when your going to need test fish.

Peace,
Roger

12-12-2002, 03:23 PM
Ditto!!!!!!

12-12-2002, 04:22 PM
if you do not need to keep him around for testing, etc, it's always nice to give him to a person that wants to learn to keep discus. It's a great learning experience and the person you give it to will think it's a Durisburg Show Winner they'll be so happy. It's a win-win situation, because even if it dies, they lose no money and will still like discus. That's how i got into it all (Thanks Pat!!!).

DarkDiscus
12-12-2002, 04:41 PM
I keep my runt around so he can continue to bear the brunt of the tank aggression... I am afraid that if I get rid of the runt, another fish will take his place and stop growing!

John

dm
12-12-2002, 06:54 PM
I agree with bradNC. If I could find someone around here who wanted a couple fish to get them started I would gladly give them a few.