PDA

View Full Version : Aprils one week fry

April
12-13-2002, 12:30 AM
here are my baby manas. at one week free swimming almost. short a day.
This is dad leaving the kids at daycare. they graze on bbs and algae..........and he takes a break. but oversees things.
rather cute when he calls them back. they go running back .

April
12-13-2002, 12:31 AM
heres the next.

April
12-13-2002, 12:32 AM
and one more..........today they ate tons of bbs. they had little pink tummies. they grew overnight i swear.

Don_Lee
12-13-2002, 12:33 AM
Great pics April, you are not the Discus Fairy for nothing!

Don ;D

April
12-13-2002, 12:36 AM
Heres mom.........who deserted her family.........and is spending time at a resort with a bunch of singles. she has her eye on other males.........didnt take her long to start bowing to 2 other males. a brilliant and a wild green. little does she know shes being sent back to her hubby as soon as the kids are gone.

April
12-13-2002, 12:39 AM
heres the second pair who laid today.

paulmat
12-13-2002, 12:41 AM
April

They look real good,great pics also.

It is so much fun to watch them tend to the younguns :) ;)

Good luck with the rest.

Paul

SLY
12-13-2002, 12:54 AM
looking good april..1 question why is the cone still there? I suggest u remove the cone as fries has a habit of sticking to cone and not on their parents body when there's 1. Good luck.

hunterbeav
12-13-2002, 12:58 AM
Congrats April way to go !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

April
12-13-2002, 01:00 AM
Sly...they stay on dad 98 percent of the time. but he shakes them off and they stay there. and they are eating algae on it. and ..ileft it cause mom was gone so i wasnt worried about them relaying and eating the kids. she already ate some...during the custody battle.

April
12-13-2002, 01:08 AM
heres some of the group ma is hanging out with. these are youngsters from cary and matt. matts are the pigeons and carys is the red royal blue cross checkers. and brilliants.
and theres a red guy in there from mike.

April
12-13-2002, 01:12 AM
heres the fish at my grooming salon for Liz. this is where all the pairs are and my 100 gallon tank. i get to play fishie while i work.
oh,,,,,the famous chicken cone is there. that female is on a break. no hubby. he was borrowed. lol.

April
12-13-2002, 01:14 AM
heres the 100 gallon where the mom of the fry is on holidays away from the kids.
all the red ones are my santarem x alencers and san marahs from mike. the one at the top right is mom mana. im hoping one of my manas get togeather with a santarem one day..as the mana is also an alencer cross. should get super nice red babies!!

April
12-13-2002, 01:17 AM
Last one for Liz. the tanks in the shop. the one at the back is where the fry are. and theres also one behind the bank of cages and the ones on top...and the 100 is up front where my desk is.

Barb Newell
12-13-2002, 01:19 AM
Hi April;

Very very nice fish and babies. Can I come to visit you?

Barb :)

fcdiscus
12-13-2002, 01:20 AM
Great Pictures April! Frank :D

April
12-13-2002, 01:44 AM
Anytime Barb!!
come and play in the rain. lol.
bring your water change hose.
heh..never did get those pics...my email is cured now. ;D

Carol_Roberts
12-13-2002, 02:32 AM
Nice pictures April, I'm glad the fry are doing so good!

Do you have more tanks at work or at home now?

Carol :heart1:

Barb Newell
12-13-2002, 02:34 AM
Hi April, I'll send them again. I'd love to come play in the rain, collect some worms, and I'll definitely bring my water change hose ;D ::) Won't leave home without it!

Barb

lion
12-13-2002, 04:44 AM
Hi April
Beautiful fish they are. I can't wait for mine to spawn but they're only 8 months old. Wish I knew about this site when I started out 9 mnths ago. I lost 2 of my discus before I found this page. Great info here.

Are there breeders that will ship discus to South Africa?

Good luck with your babies
Lorret

April
12-13-2002, 06:58 AM
Hi LOret and welcome. not sure if we have anyone from south africa. theres a section you can try or post in general. i checked through here and found none. but surely there must be more discus hobbyists in south africa. http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=18;action=messageindex
glad you found us. your fish should start changing soon. you will notice them getting more territorial and more pushing each other around etc. and their shape will change and colours get more intense. this is the old teenage phase. how many do you have?
well ask questions and read lots . it will help alot. and hope you find a breeder.

Jason
12-13-2002, 07:32 AM
Good Job APRIL !!!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D

12-13-2002, 08:01 AM
Nice holiday gift. More tanks April. Take the kitchen counter out. a 250 gal will fill the space. Good work. Soon you'll have fry in every corner of your house. Nice fish.
Jimmy.

dm
12-13-2002, 08:22 AM
Great pics April. Thanks for posting them for us all to see.

Discusgeo
12-13-2002, 08:33 AM
Great job April, Canada's next major Discus breeder. Start stocking those shipping supplies April.
George

12-13-2002, 09:09 AM
Love the Pics Pril. :thumbsup: Congrats on the fry.

I too have a "Dead Beat Mom".. Heck during the whole fanning process, she just sat and watched Dad tend to the eggs. When they went into free swimming she did help gather them, only to spit them onto Dads back.. (Well, I guess I'm lucky she didn't eat them) Poor Dad will do quick circles around her to force her to give him a break, but she just circles back around him, to loose the kids. I think he should start charging her "child support". What is with them wild females anyway.? :-\

Julz :)

DarkDiscus
12-13-2002, 09:18 AM
I'm just waiting for April to start shipping!

Great job April!

John

12-13-2002, 10:04 AM
Me three.... :P

Ivan
12-13-2002, 10:39 AM
Cool pics april. I bet your finger ends allways resemble prunes with all the WC you have to do haha. Thanks for sharing!

April
12-13-2002, 10:55 AM
Don't get too excited. these little boys and girls are only one week old. they might decide they cant deal with the big world and pack it in. LOL.
I have plenty of empty tanks. and actually hoping to keep them empty. lol
NO canadian discus factory gonna happen here...no time. one batch at a time will be plenty.

Jeff
12-13-2002, 11:52 AM
After the long struggle the rewards start coming in. Good job!!

Kap
12-13-2002, 02:04 PM
Thanks for posting the fry pics. You have a brood to be proud of! Now ... what are you gonna do with all of those little guys after a month or two?!
Best wishes with them!

Liz_Streithorst
12-13-2002, 07:53 PM
Waaaaa...I want tanks in my shop too :waaa: Beautiful pics, April. Do you ever have grooming customers trying to buy fish from you?

Liz

12-14-2002, 11:09 AM
April, I am so happy for you. After all that you have been through with the discus. I'm so glad you stuck with it!!! I knew some day it would finally happen.

luv ya,

Mike

Richman
12-14-2002, 11:59 AM
Congrats on your babies, April. I know you are happy and we are happy for you. Hope they all make it fine.

12-14-2002, 06:23 PM
Alright April!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

April
12-14-2002, 11:59 PM
Thanks guys...not out of the woods yet...but so far so good. they have huge fat pink tummies now..and go crazy over the bbs. even the smaller ones have nice pink tummies.
its gonna be fun.....as now my car is dead..and i have to bus back and forth even on my days off to feed them. so...will be gone long hours. today i was gone 12 hours.and yesterday 14 hours. so if im not here.....thats where i am. talking to my babies. but im loving it. might bring my sleeping bag yet. between every dog in vancouver being groomed..this next week and caring for my babies...mays well.
Mike i had to stick with it..as i could not imagine my life without at least a fwe discus. and this is what makes it so exciting. even my boss who said that fish keeping was the stupidest hobby on the face of this earth...is hooked. she keeps going back there to watch. and my coworker is having a hard time doing her work. lol.

lion
12-17-2002, 05:10 AM
I can't stop looking at your discus. They are beautiful. I've got 9 in my 300 litre tank. 3 royal blues, 3 marlboro & 3 PB. I've lost 1 blue and 1 marlboro in the beginning.(did'nt know about all the W/C and adding salt :bomb:) :furious: I had to learn about W/C the hard way. Now I've got ;D fishies.

Lorret

April
12-17-2002, 07:59 AM
Loret. dont feel bad...we've all been there. glad their doing well now. thanks ....i will have new pics tomorrow of them growing up. but even since the pics..the fry have grown.

April
12-17-2002, 08:17 AM
yeah yeah...julz the organizer...they ought to be in the pic gallery...but...their not. lol.
heres a few more of dad.

April
12-17-2002, 08:19 AM
dear ole dad and his charges.

April
12-17-2002, 08:27 AM
I spy with my little eye....babies with big pink tummies from all their yummy bbs.

April
12-17-2002, 08:30 AM
heres the other female with eggs. now whatever made her decide that was the place to lay eggs?
they never hatched though. maybe next time. or...maybe shed like a new guy.

12-17-2002, 09:15 AM
Heck Prilly, (ignoring the "organizer" remark totally) ::)

You've got quite the baby making factory there. (still ignoring that "organizer" remark) ::)

I just love your Momma! :o ("organizer" remark still ignored) ::)

Please don't forget me for the next batch.... :P

Oh and... Next time.... Photo Posts belong in Photo. :smash: (organizer remark acknowledged!!!) To the corner with you Discus Fairy....

buh-bye now.... :wave:

April
12-17-2002, 09:18 AM
LOL Julz.
i think i willl setup a bowfront corner tank in my corner...
but i dont have to go to the corner very often.
but not sure your corner should get one..as one isnt meant to be rewarded for going to the corner. youd be happy to stay there if a bowfront was there.

Julz peeks in April's post.......
Hmmmm lookie what I found... A modify button on Pril's post. "Hi Prilly"http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/a0/tease.gif "cool to be in your post"...... If I can get into your post... I can surely go to your corner and sit in front of your bowed tank .... lol ;) ....

Julz heads out the back door in a flash....http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/k/outtahere.gif

DarkDiscus
12-17-2002, 09:24 AM
April,

Looking good still! Very cool. I envy you!

John

April
12-21-2002, 02:11 AM
here are the kids...........now 2 weeks and getting ready to go off to college. They will be leaving home on Sunday. or rather........their kicking Dad out and taking over the house.

April
12-21-2002, 02:12 AM
Heres one last pic with dear ole Dad.

April
12-21-2002, 02:14 AM
More kid pics.
think theres about 40 of the little gaffers.

April
12-21-2002, 02:15 AM
This was there first day eating big kid food. they ate black worms all chopped up to mouth size baby food. they dont need dad anymore when they move on to steaks .

April
12-21-2002, 02:17 AM
Heres their Aunt. who has eggs right now. not sure if she will care for them..........as she is now a single mom after the planned marriage failed. she was being pushed around. so he got sent packing. should be wigglers tomorrow.

April
12-21-2002, 02:18 AM
another one of Aunt Mana.

April
12-21-2002, 02:20 AM
Last one of Aunt MaNa
Shes my favourite of the female manas. the other two are nice also .
I love the way this one looks like she has a blue face and a red body from a distance.

12-21-2002, 02:27 AM
Looking Good Mom ;)

I guess Your worm Juice is working LOL!!!!

Cary Gld!

April
12-21-2002, 02:32 AM
Yeah Cary...remember..edward scissor hands. chop chop chop. now get chopping those worms so they wont choke!
they did eat bbs however also.

Carol_Roberts
12-21-2002, 03:07 AM
Here's mine tonight at two weeks eating whole cbw (I'm still feeding bbs too).

Look at the difference in color. Mine are almost clear with black noses, foreheads and stomachs. Barless except for the tail - all must be pigeons. Yours look chocolate brown with bars on eyes and body. Mine don't eat as much as yours - or at least I've not seen as full of tummys as yours have.

April
12-21-2002, 03:10 AM
wow Carol. neat. they are indeed completely different looking. yeah mine definitelyshow their cute little bars.
id chop up the worms..carol. bite size. see how they do.
mine have been eating 3 bottles of bbs a day the last few days.
how many do you have?
i have about 40. i have a few that are smaller..but they are getting rather plump. the little ones have pink tummies.so we;ll see.

Carol_Roberts
12-21-2002, 03:32 AM
hmmm. . . . maybe I'm not feeding mine enough. What do you mean three bottles - how much is that?
CArol :heart1:

Rod
12-21-2002, 05:13 AM
They look wonderful April :) Keep up the good work mum ;D

paulmat
12-21-2002, 02:08 PM
Ditto, they look very fat and happy,keep up that chopping ;D

Paul :guitarist:

12-21-2002, 03:00 PM
Great April and Carol, :bounce:

Mine are about a week behinds both of yours. They are now feeding heavily on BBS. Pink tummies galore. :thumbsup:

Weezy thinks there is about 85 of them. I will try to get pics later today. :P

April... I absolutely love that pic of the Auntie.... She is sooo stunning!...

Julz :)

Don_Lee
12-21-2002, 04:04 PM
The discus girls! Wow, you guys are amazing. So glad you are all here

Don ;D

12-21-2002, 06:39 PM
Here is a couple I snapped this afternoon. Hope the pink tummies stand out....

12-21-2002, 06:41 PM
I think Dad was trying to teach the kids "Sponge Limbo" in this one. I believe I counted 92 in one of the pics..... This is real exciting. Heck, my angels never got this far.

Willie
12-21-2002, 08:52 PM
Those are gorgeous fish, Julz. You done good!

Willie

Carol_Roberts
12-21-2002, 09:18 PM
Is this your first batch Julz? They look great! Yep, us girls are having fun comparing baby pictures. ;D

12-22-2002, 01:51 AM
Hey thanks Willie.... I've learned so much...

Yup first batch Carol. Kinda like showing off grandchild pics huh.? This has been so much fun....

:) :) :)

April
12-22-2002, 02:10 AM
us girls might take over the discus baby scene. lol
heh...julz yours look great also.
mine...have had to be single parents. hope to get them working togeather next time.
Aunty Mana has wigglers now..and a ton of them . but she too is alone to raise them. the male beat her up and wouldnt let her near her eggs. so he got sent away. she had marks on her...didnt want him to hurt her. so shes on her own. and her first kids to raise. so we';ll see.
Carol. i have 3 2 liter bottles and have 1 tsp. of bseggs.in each bottle. i feed at 2 hour intervals..
what i do is siphon into a net ...then feed the fry. then add the water back to the bottle..and in 2 hours siphon again and get more bbs.
then the next bottle..so i do every two hours. and three bottles. till i leave work at 630 i give them the last big feed.then their with dad till morning then start again.

12-22-2002, 02:20 AM
So Pril does that mean Aunty's will be up for adoption then?

April
12-22-2002, 02:42 AM
Julz..Aunty Manas fry will be up for adoption....if...she looks after them...and if i look after them...and after i grow them large enough that i know for sure im not gonna send anyone rawlings...or runts or culls. after ive been told that they are good enough to sell. i know the great family traits are there..but i could mess them up. im not done yet. ....

Liz_Streithorst
12-22-2002, 10:00 AM
April, Put me on the list for some of Aunty Manas fry. (HEE hee hee...I'm first in line) Now's where you get to tell me that you cant ship to the US.

Liz

April
12-22-2002, 11:29 AM
Liz.not sure on the shipping to usa..but i live on the border and i may just drive over then ship. not sure yet
but they gotta grow up first

Liz_Streithorst
12-22-2002, 11:40 AM
Yipeee!!! Can you post a pic of the abusive husband? You're going to get a reputation for having disfunctional famlies! Sure hope you can raise them.

Liz

April
12-22-2002, 11:59 AM
heres the dad. the bigger guy in the front.
f1 alencer.this is the dad of Aunt Manas wigglers.