PDA

View Full Version : Distiller Dilema

Serpae
12-13-2002, 04:44 AM
No better place to start than with the great minds from Simply.

I am looking for a DIY plan for a water distiller.

Can distilled water be used continually as a mixer instead of R/O.

What is the rundown with distilled water, are there danger's, or are they the same as R/O.

What are some stat's, eg. Ph, Gh, Kh etc.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Discusgeo
12-13-2002, 08:53 AM
First off I would say it would be to expensive to build a good size Distiller if you want to use it to change the water in your Discus tank. I recomend you get a good R.O system. Anyway here is the basic system for what you want.

How do I build water distillers?
To build water distillers you will need:

· A thermostat;
· A heating element (like a hot plate);
· A boiling chamber with a lid (like an old pot);
· A condensing device (like a coil of copper tubing);
· A catch basin (should be fan cooled); and
· A timer to shut down the system.

First, mount the temperature sensor as close to the heating element as possible. This way you can keep an eye on how hot your heating element gets. Keep in mind that the boiling point of water fluctuates according to barometric pressure, but in general is around 212 degrees Fahrenheit. Next, place the boiling chamber on your heating element. This is where you will put the water you want to purify. Pre-rinse it with a dose of vinegar, which will help you clean out the deposits later. Drill a hole into the lid of your boiling chamber and connect the condensing device to it. Make sure the condensing device is fan cooled and leads to the catch basin. Finally, mount a timer on the system that ensures it will turn off when the boiling chamber is empty. You may have to time how long it takes to empty your boiling chamber several times before being able to accurately set your timer.

You want plans with pictures! check out this link
http://info.tzo.com/

Ivan
12-13-2002, 06:24 PM
Get an RO. Set up a distilery and make whisky. :D
Ivan