PDA

View Full Version : Filtration dilemma

lcs
12-13-2002, 10:34 AM
I listed in an earlier thread in the General discussion my proposed set up for my first discus tank (90g). Thank you for the helpful responses! Anyway, here's my new dilemma: I have been goin 'round and 'round with how to filter this tank :juggle:

My original plan was an Ehiem 2028 for predominantly mechanical filtration followed by a fluidized bed. Now I am also looking at maybe an AquaClear, or maybe a wet/dry - ugh :P :-\ I know what the best filters are for biological filtration, but what would be the most effective for mechanical?? I just can't decide - good grief.

How difficult is it to hook something up to the outlet of a power filter and where can I find pics of spray bars; either DIY or store bought?

Thanks!!!
Lisa :)

Richman
12-14-2002, 01:33 AM
An Aquaclear or an Emperor 400 would be the best IMO. They are easy to deal with, hold lots of biological and are quick and easy to clean as far as mechanical goes. However, if you put prefilters and do wc every day and vacumn waste and extra food, mechanical doesn't become much of a problem. You just don't get them clogged up very often. When I clean them, I never clean all the cartridges at once. Clean them in drained tank water. Keeps the bacteria active. Chlorine water kills it. I guess a good rule of thumb for mechanical filtration would be the one that is easiest to clean.

12-14-2002, 04:08 PM
Honestly, you don't need mechanical filtration really. If you change water daily, as most all of us do, that is your mechanical filtration. All but a select few here do not use activated carbon, so out of the 3 types of filtration, mechanical, chemical, and biological, only biological is needed for discus. Now, if you aren't going to change water often, that's another story.

jdr3366
12-15-2002, 02:42 PM
Ok Brad, and anyone else,

Lt me ask this question. For a 150 to 180 gallon tank that has 30% water change each day, which is the best bioligical filtration?

Is it an Eheim 2217, which pumps 265 gph for aquariums up to 159 gallons? This is the old looking one (round) with the entry port on the bottom and the discharge on top.

Or, is it the Eheim 2028, whigh is the square one, which pumps 280 gph, for aquariums up to 160 gallons?

Or should I get a wet/dry filter, and if so, which one?

Thanks
John R

Wolf
12-15-2002, 04:10 PM
I seriously hate canister filters. I've tried the Ehiem and the Fluval and they are a pain in the butt to clean. Never again for me. I would go with the AC 500. You can just take out the sponge and clean it in tank water in about 1 minute flat. You don't have to change out any filter media just throw a couple of good sponges in it and rinse them out once a week in tank water. The only disadvantage to a hang on the back filter is some people find them unsightly. I don't have any problems with it myself. I'm too busy looking at the healthy fish in the tank to notice.

Carol_Roberts
12-15-2002, 04:55 PM
I agree with Wolf.
Canisters >:(
Aqua Clear ;D
Carol :heart1:

WrxAnt
12-15-2002, 08:01 PM
Seriously guys whats the issue with cannister filters?

Hard to clean?

Damn you guys must be quite down on the cannisters for them to be hard to clean!

Heres how it goes on my eheim 2224.

1. Turn off power
2. Turn off hose taps
3. Disconnect hoses via quick release joint
4. Carry to sink.
5. OPen lid.
6. Lift tray 1 out via handle
7. Lift tray 2 out via handle
8. Replace /wash filter inserts
9. Puts trays back in
10. Put lid on
11. Walk to tank reconnect quick joint
12. Turn on taps
13. Plug-in and it works.

Oh and yeah I clean my filters once every 2 months.

Sure its a little more effort than the AC but not what I'd call hard IMO.

Cheers
Antony

12-15-2002, 08:08 PM
Yeah but an Eheim 2224 costs $150 vs. an AC500 selling for $30. They both just hold media and force water through the media. I don't see what value you're getting for your additional $120. A bunch of trays to put different types of media into. Why would you need more then just a container full of foam or similar media? It's the amount of food provided by the fish waste & food that determines the size of the biological colony, not the amount of media. So what's the benefit? And then you couple the additional cost with the fact that an AC is easier to clean...

Dave

Dennis_Hardenburge
12-15-2002, 08:58 PM
Ok I love my eheim 2028s I us them on 130 gallon tanks.
With a sponge over the intake whick I clean weekly and probably could do more often, I only clean the eheim every six months thats right every six months and if you saw the inside of it you would wonder why I am even cleaning it.
Dennis

Steve_Warner
12-15-2002, 10:09 PM
Hi all,
Reading this thread, I began to wonder.........what's the difference in Oxygen concentration INSIDE an enclosed canister filter VS. an external, open air AC or similar? I am wodering if the enclosed conditions in the canister would tend to retard bacterial growth and inhibit bio-activity. Anyone?

Steve

WrxAnt
12-16-2002, 01:54 AM
Dave_C,

I got 2 x 2224s second hand for $100 US with all media.

I couldn't afford to buy 2 new ones at RRP! My wife would kill me!!!

I currently also own a Fluval 204. Its the 3rd one I've had coz the last two melted... hence why I now have 2 eheims. So far in my 3 year warranty on the 204 I've claimed on 2 melted motor units.... ouch!

So the benefit for me are:
- greater media capacity it appears I think (I could be wrong)
- Its outta site under the tank.
- For me I couldn't fit an AC500 in the back of the tank as it was too close to the wall.
- Quality of hoses and connections well compared to my 204 the hosing and plumbing quality is better ie stronger.
- Quality. The eheims are 2 nearly 3 years old... and still going strong ...

Dave we are all entitled to our opinions!

Even if I paid $120US for 1 unit I personally feel I'm getting more than just a $120 Eheim label.

I'm happy with my purchase as you are with yours :)

Cheers
Antony

lcs
12-16-2002, 01:40 PM
Thank you all for your replies!

So far I am leaning toward using a wet/dry and an Aquaclear. I want to be seriously over filtered to cover any lapses I might have in my WC routine. I am planning on doing WC every other day so that 100% is changed each week. Plus that way I can use one of the Aquaclear sponges to seed another tank should I need to. Although I suppose I could add an internal sponger filter do that!! :D

Would there be too much current in this situation or will the fish be OK? I've heard that they prefer a slower current, but it sounds like the people that use power filters haven't had a problem.

Lisa

DHDiscusMan
12-16-2002, 05:03 PM
Wrx. I can't speak for Eihems, I have Fulvals... the quick releases dont' work about half the time. The hoses get stuff growing inside, when reattaching you have to work to get the water to fill correctly so you can plug it back in.

That's my experiance. Fulvals are a pain.

I like ACs.

Dan

WrxAnt
12-16-2002, 07:08 PM
Dan,

Yeah my old Fluval 204 had terrible taps and fittings. It would always bed a drama.

The new MSF series they gave me as a warrantied replacement is heaps better. Never had a problem with jammed taps as all the big gunk gets caught on the intake strainer.

The Eheim has better fittings again. Never had a problem with that either.

It seems the AC's are a tad more expensive over hear in Australia than the US.

I just got two new 30" tanks which small ACs could be the go for tbut hey have lips on the inside of the tank which would I belive could hamper the ACs fitment woudln't it?

Cheers
Antony

ChloroPhil
12-16-2002, 08:01 PM
Go with a Wet/Dry. Hands Down they're the best filter available.

Richman
12-16-2002, 09:36 PM
Lisa,
The wet dry and AC will do fine. And, No, that is not too much current.

pooljap
12-16-2002, 10:39 PM
Just my experience.. I have gone fully with Aquaclear as easier
to clean and never a problem with leakage. Had Eheim for couple of years and came home to small pond as a leak developed. Just my experience... so i trashed cannister filters from now on.

Jim

lcs
12-17-2002, 04:12 PM
Yeah, I think I have decided on the wet/dry and the Aquaclear. I'll probably throw a sponge in there as well, if only for future use in another tank. This seems to be the best set up for the cost.

I think the only reason I thought I wanted a canister - especially an Eheim - was that it seemed a step "up" in aquarium keeping. :P

Now I am seriously itching to go buy stuff!!! :bounce2:

Don_Lee
12-17-2002, 05:56 PM
I have used an Eheim 2228 in the past, and now use a wet/dry unit. I would definitely recommend the wet/dry for ease of cleaning and efficiency. The Eheim is the best for canister filters IMO, but does have the disadvantage of being somewhat more difficult to clean.

Don ;D

rafall
12-24-2002, 03:30 PM
I got Rena XP3 and it works great for me. easy cleaning, a lot of room for media and reasonable price $109.00 at Petsmart.com
It runs 55 gal with help of Emperor 400 filter. As media I used: sponge for pre filter, lava rock in middle container and fine filter pad in upper.
From time to time a put also peat.
For my new 135 I will use same XP3 and wet /dry own construction I'm working on it now, with lavarock as media in it and some sponge.