PDA

View Full Version : Measuring up

Ralph
12-14-2002, 12:37 PM
How does everyone measure their fish, I don't mean with or without tail. I mean actually measure them. Do you catch them and measure them out of the tank? Is it an estimate? Do you wait for them to swim by a ruler?
Just curious.

12-14-2002, 02:48 PM
I think the best way is to put a ruler at the bottom of the tank and wait for them to swim by it and snap a digital picture. Make a good estimate as to how close they are to the glass (ruler) and measure how far your camera lens is from the glass (ruler). Doing some triginometry, you can figure out the length of your fish. Also, the correct way to measure fish is called Standard Length and does NOT include the tail. However, most people on here do use the tail, which is quite evident when their given size is put with a picture.
HTH,
Brad

Smokey
12-14-2002, 02:57 PM
yes, good question, I feel my discus are small compared to others; different measuring methods.
Myself i place a ruler along the front of the tank , and because My discus are trained to come on command; i wait till they turn sideways and guestamate .....
I use the standard lenght, does not include the tail. so, when I say my biggest is 3 1/2 inches(imperial standard); it is pretty close.
However Ralph, discus hobbiest, like all fishermen, tend to use the rubber tape measures; I think!!!!lol.
Or , just place soming of reference in the tank and use it to determine the discus lenght.
Or catch and measure them. BUT, if your discus are anything like mine, this could be a ordeal in itself. Damm they are fast!!! LOL. ( this way causes unnecessary stress).

Lynn
12-14-2002, 04:55 PM
yeah Smokey,
I Think there may be widespread usage of the 'rubber ruler'! ::)

Ralph, I just tape a ruler to the tank and guesstimate.
If I have to move a fish then I measure when they are in the net.

Rod
12-14-2002, 06:02 PM
LOL Smokey, what's with fish people and thier rubber rulers? over here i hear about dinner plate size discus all the time.....how absurd is that, my dinner plates are 10" across, i just smile and nod and say they must look awesome....chuckle chuckle chuckle.

12-14-2002, 07:40 PM
I chuckle with you Rod...Ive heard "stories" about the MYTHICAL dinner plate sized discus also. Funny though...they always belong to someone else...not the one who's talking about them. My brothers friends dad has this discus :o Im not saying there couldnt be some Gigantic discus out there....guess its just one of those "believe it when I see it" things.

Ralf.... I use ALL THE ABOVE. Sometimes I guess....sometimes put marks on the tank in one inch increments....sometimes I actually measure when transfering fish to different tanks.

Tony

12-14-2002, 07:49 PM
Lets put some discus in a lake that has a dam right next to a nuclear reactor!!! Those discus could eat little kids instead of blackworms.

12-14-2002, 08:04 PM
I've seen pictures posted before where a CD is placed in the foreground (or background) which in turn shows a good comparison. Yes, it does not tell you the exact size but is a great visual tool.

I yet have to try it when snapping pics tho...

Julz :)

limige
12-14-2002, 10:36 PM
just an interesting note, you say standard measurement.....all fisherman for recording records and so forth measure nose to tail with the tail pulled back (not erect). this is the official method for recording records for the dnr or whomever.

so does the term standard mean something different i'm missing?

12-14-2002, 11:28 PM
if I'm correct, it's the standard way of measuring discus, as done in all the competitions. Most all of those fish are 8" or bigger excluding tail from what I hear. Two different competitions, two different fish, and two different ways of measuring.

Smokey
12-15-2002, 01:14 PM
Howdy limige;
Hope i can shed some light on" MAIN BODY MEASUREMENTS"; as stated in the Aquarium Atlas #1, by Riehl/Baensch; page 156/157.
a: total length - tip of lips to the tip of the Caudal or tail fin.
b: STANDARD or BODY LENGTH - tip of lips to end of body; does not include the Caudal or tail fin.

Smokey
tail fins may come and go, but the body length is here forever !!!

tango0806
12-15-2002, 01:16 PM
On occasion when I have had to remove a Discus to a quarantine or hospital tank I measured the fish while out of water. After I knew that measure I guesstimate that fish next to others. Knowing what size exactly the one was that I measured gives me a better idea about how much bigger or smaller another fish is. Hey it works for me. ;D

John G

April
12-15-2002, 09:16 PM
just hang a cd in the back of the tank behind the glass on a string .then snap the pic. .
thats Aprils super duper measuring system. as everyone knows.....im very good at measuring....right Rod? think everyone always relies on me for measurement help. :))
oh..a cd is 4 3/4 inches. i was told that.
;D

April
12-15-2002, 09:19 PM
Rod...just buy smaller dinner plates...and yours too can be dinner plate size.
i hear some of the newer plates are smaller..as one is not meant to eat such big meals these days unless your a farmer. ::)

Jeff
12-15-2002, 09:35 PM
So a diet dinner plate?