PDA

View Full Version : Are my new bought discus brown or alenquer?

wo
12-14-2002, 02:16 PM
Hi,

I can hardly tell which is brown or which is alenquer. From those guide books I purchased are all so similiar to me. So I post the photo below. Please distinguish for me. Thanks!

wo
12-14-2002, 02:17 PM
They are a pair.

wo
12-14-2002, 02:19 PM
Here is another angle for the same fish.

wo
12-14-2002, 02:19 PM
Are they brown or alenquer?

wo
12-14-2002, 02:21 PM
They bred once but ate the eggs. Are they all female?

Richman
12-14-2002, 02:36 PM
wo,
Sorry, but even your excellent photography isn't clear enough to tell for sure. You'll need to bag them up and send them to me so I can get a better look. :)

OEG
12-14-2002, 03:03 PM
Wo,
I would call them Alenquers but i could be wrong, at the worst you have a great pair of browns. they look great.
Oscar

12-14-2002, 03:51 PM
They look like Alenquers to me also...but its a guess. Ive seen a load of fish called "Alenquer"...they all look similar, but always a bit different.
The most common pics I see would be a nice caramel colored base with a reddish hue around the outside of the fish and a limited amount of blue.....just like yours!

It is a brown discus though....regardless of what anyone calls it.

Tony

Discusgeo
12-14-2002, 04:40 PM
What were they when you bought them from the breeder?

Michael
12-14-2002, 10:49 PM
Alenquer or not they are browns. I would call it alenquer too ;D

Denny
12-15-2002, 12:19 AM
the fish you have i believe are called Rio Xingu.which is a brown discus.

here is a link to wilds

http://www.geocities.com/discus_aquarium/brownwildstrains.html

denny

12-15-2002, 12:52 AM
the fish you have i believe are called Rio Xingu.which is a brown discus.

here is a link to wilds

http://www.geocities.com/discus_aquarium/brownwildstrains.html

denny

I'd say he has Alenquer.

12-15-2002, 01:35 AM
WO,
Need a close up to define the colors.

Miles

wo
12-15-2002, 10:31 AM
When I bought them the aquarium keeper said they are "red cover" which I know they are definitely not. Although I am looking for red alenquer but it doesn't matter if I got a pair of browns. Thanks to all of you.

I wish you all happiness for Christmas and
the coming New Year!

wildthing
12-15-2002, 11:26 AM
IMO red cover might be more correct.
Yours, by their look & coloring are almost certainly not wild caught but tank bred so just for that reason couldn't be Alenquers unless given an F#.
Also, they are the wrong color & markings to be a true Alenquer red, which has a rusty red color all over & often many irridiescant blue striations
They more resemble ( as DJ said) Golden Browns from the Xingu ( Cameta , Currulitos etc) that have been color fed which is a shame as the yellows are IMO prettier.
Alenquer ( with a Q) is the correct spelling. Alencer ( with a C) is someones' poor attempt to re-name a reddish fish.
Also...hardly any true Alenquer reds are to be found as the higher reaches of their river are in protected ( indian) territories) & the lower end is badly polluted from the run-off from gold mining ( cyanide & mercury)
Reds from the Santarem area strongly resemble them but often are mixed parentage fish.
Santarem is in the opposite shore from Alenquer ( the town).
That all said..not too much wrong with your fish either, it isn't about the name, it is about the pleasure ( & grief) they give their keepers
:)
DW

Ralph
12-15-2002, 01:33 PM
David, welcome to Simply. We need your expertise on wilds. It is an area with so much misinformation or actually lack of information. Glad to have you here.
When is your website coming back up?

12-15-2002, 11:06 PM
WO,
They are not Red Covers. Red Covers look just like San Merahs. I have 6- San Merahs and 10 Red Covers.

You can check Mike Wells at A Discus Dream or Jeff Young at DiscusFarm.US They both have nice pictures of each of the above fish.

Mr. Webber,
Welcome and glad to see you post.

Miles

wildthing
12-15-2002, 11:39 PM
"Mr Webber " is my father
DW

Ivan
12-16-2002, 11:30 AM
Mr Webber Jr :). Excellent post. Was a joy to read.

Fantastic looking fish you havethere wo. If anyone asks what they are, just say Discus!!
Ivan

wo
12-16-2002, 11:41 AM
Hi

Thank you DW for your expert description on the wild discus. I am cheated by the LFS. I should know the good fish won't sell at this price (USD30 each). But I am kind of loke them now. They are OK. Next time I should read more information before buying the kind of fish I do not know. It is said that some wild discus are easily to breed some are extreme hard (near to zero success rate), is it true? And many local discus lovers tried to breed say the decendents of the wild are not as good looking as their parents; is it also true?

Ralph, Iknow you are right that they couldn't be good grade red cover because in Taiwan a Juvenile red cover without any black bar about 2 inch would be USD100.-each.
I won't go to the same store again.

Francisco_Borrero
12-16-2002, 12:28 PM
Don't feel cheated. At $30 each, those gorgeous fish are a bargain, even if they are F(??). I would be happy with them.
Cheers, Francisco.

wildthing
12-16-2002, 08:07 PM
Hi

Thank you DW for your expert description on the wild discus. I am cheated by the LFS. I should know the good fish won't sell at this price (USD30 each). But I am kind of loke them now. They are OK. Next time I should read more information before buying the kind of fish I do not know. It is said that some wild discus are easily to breed some are extreme hard (near to zero success rate), is it true? And many local discus lovers tried to breed say the decendents of the wild are not as good looking as their parents; is it also true?

Ralph, Iknow you are right that they couldn't be good grade red cover because in Taiwan a Juvenile red cover without any black bar about 2 inch would be USD100.-each.
I won't go to the same store again.

half of the time pet stores don;t really know what they are selling either...sadly there is a lot of misrepresentation in the Discus world.
Whatever your fish's lineage may be,, they look to be decent healthy fish. The main thing is whether or not you like them...after all..as Shakespeare said " a rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

DW