PDA

View Full Version : The pic of my new tank

wo
12-14-2002, 02:34 PM
Hi,

This is my new tank ------

wo
12-14-2002, 02:38 PM
The tank is about 100 Gallon and I am so worried that this tank is not safe enough. (The each one of the 5 sided glass is only 5mm thick.) I hope that this tank will stand for 5 years then I can replace it.

wo
12-14-2002, 02:41 PM
Below are the marlboro fries I bought 35 days before. The strangest thing is that they have no black bars but they have black specks bars like marks on them.

12-14-2002, 02:58 PM
those "speckled bars" should go away as they mature. They will probably have peppering though forever. Looks like a great tank. Is that a flowerhorn in there?

Smokey
12-14-2002, 03:47 PM
Beautiful tank Wo;
Do you know if it is factory built or home built ??? Having a bow front, which is tempered, right?, I would assume it is a factory tank. If so, I would imagine it to be strong enough.
I would be concerned about the stand material. reason - some times these stand are made of materials which do not - do well in high moisture areas. 5 mil seems thin, however you mentioned it was all tempered, (?) right. If so , I would think it to be safe. Tempered glass is very strong, just don't go hitting the glass with anything . Or if your like me; dropping stuff into the tank.

Smokey

OEG
12-14-2002, 08:42 PM
heyWO,
glad to see youre tank up and runnin.....those fish look good I like that wild....hope the tank holds up for a good while :D
OEG

wo
12-15-2002, 11:29 AM
Hi,

I bought this tank on the last day of November. I am also quite worried that it will explode some day. Yes, it should be a factory made tank even so there is no guaranty. (There are lots of the same tanks at the same chain aquarium.) I am also worried about the stand whether it could hold 500kg or not. Well, I bought this tank with no thought for practical consideration but cheap price.(USD120.-) To tell the truth I am quite regret and quite worried that it gonna to explode someday. Well I learn my lesson in purchasing large tank.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you!!!!!

wo
12-15-2002, 11:34 AM
OH! I forgot to mention that the each of the 5 glass all have "safelit tempered" printed on them including the bow front one. Thanks!

wo
12-15-2002, 11:45 AM
HI BradNC

OOOOps!!! I forgot to answer. No they are not flower horn. I amnot sure the correct english name but we call it blood parrot in Chinese. They are reproduced by two kind of fish. Their parent are large and bad tempered but they are mild and small. They can't reproduce by themselves. Perhaps I will look at some fish magazines to make sure the correct english name.

Smokey
12-15-2002, 12:41 PM
Howdy Wo;
IME - as a-person who has built glass tanks for many many years; some as large as 2 meters x 2 meters x 2.5 meters,( for a very large python); with safety glass; may i give you some suggestions ?
I realize the tank is up and running, however some ideas to think about:
1st - the bottom sheet of glass is most subseptable to the water pressure, and carries all the water weight. To help relieve this stress, place a soft material which allows the bottom glass to "just rest on". Styroa-foam rigid insulation is an excellant material; if you have access to it. I would imagine the tank is designed and built so the bottom glass is raised and rests on the tank trim, correct(?). By placeing this weight/stress absorbing material, the bottom glass sheet no longer has to carry the weight of the water solely by itself. This method dramaticly reduces "GLASS DEFLECTION'. ALSO - helps to eliminate heat loss.
Safety glass, heat treated, is so much stronger than regual glass and being 5 mi. thick I feel the glass will stand up, if properly supported.
Second - the STAND: can you determine what material it is made from ??? Some stands are made from "MARGINAL" material. Wood composits, held together with "GLUES"; not my first choice, however if they can be kept "D R Y " ; (HA I say, i have never met a dry water spill yet !!!) LOL. ; they can last a long time.
Hope I have been of some help.

PS. get rid of the blood parrots; damm onery fish, bad tempered and just mean !!! lol lol lol I remember when they first hit the market, wow everyone wanted some; till they started to kill of everything else in the tank. I still have bit marks from them....
I think they were bred by someone with a bad sense of humor !!!

Smokey
in the Cold - Cold Canadian Rockies
damn polar bears!

ping
12-15-2002, 04:15 PM
Nice looking tank Wo,

I am agree with Smokey, you need to put Styroa-form at the bottom.
And get rid those parrots .. :)

wo
12-17-2002, 12:53 PM
Hi Smokey and Ping,

I will try to seperate the blood parrots and discus. Thanks!
I already put 8 piece of the soft pads between the stand and the tank. ( The kind of pads made for babies to crawl on without hurt.) I guess that works the same as styroa-foam because I can't get such a large piece of thick styroa-foam. ) I guess the material of my stand are a kind of high density wood composition. But to tell the truth, I am not familiar with wood. Perhaps, if any sign of danger shows I will change the tank at once. Thanks for helping me.

12-17-2002, 11:33 PM
that's an excellent pic!

12-19-2002, 01:39 AM
Wo.............. that's a nice picture!!!! Love the colors!!!

wo
12-19-2002, 11:20 AM
Hi, BBradNC and Weezy

Thanks! The picture was taken earlier; now the same fish has become uglier since moved to the new tank.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year !!!!!!!

wo
12-19-2002, 11:22 AM
The same tank.

wo
12-19-2002, 11:30 AM
Hi

I am practicing taking photos. Thanks for taking your time to look at them.

beta
12-19-2002, 01:20 PM
Beautifull Discus! Get rid of the bloody parrots!

Wahter
12-19-2002, 01:23 PM
Hi Wo!

Nice photos - did you get those discus in Taipei? I'm just curious where you bought them from (perhaps the next time I'm in Taiwan, I can visit the source) ;D ;D I know there is/ was a breeder in Tao Yuan, but I was only able to visit the "Shining Discus" near the Confuscius Temple in Taipei when I was there in November.

I'm always interested in what's happening in Taiwan!

Walter

wo
12-20-2002, 10:08 AM
Hi Wahter,

The most of the fish I bought one year ago in Tao-Yuan LFS but lot of aquarium or workshop had shut down their business due to asial depression. Only few are left and either the size of their business become smaller or they sell Luo-han/arowana instead. If you are looking for breeder perhaps you should visit the major two discus breeders in middle and southern Taiwan. You can visit and following web sites:

1) http://www.fish-king-discus.com.tw/

2) http://www.fish-king-discus.com.tw/

If you could read Chinese, there is a discus forum where some nice fish are for sale.
http://www.discusclub.com.tw

wo
12-20-2002, 10:20 AM
Correction:

2) http://www.discus.com.tw

the discus forum Http://discusweb.com or http://mydiscus.com

Wahter
12-20-2002, 05:32 PM
Thanks Wo, I have a friend that lives in Tao-Yuan (and some that live in Taipei). Maybe next time I can visit one of the breeders in Tao-Yuan.

Walter

Willie
12-21-2002, 04:11 PM
So I just found a business reason to visit Taiwan again. Would love to cross some leopard snakes to those RSGs at fish king discus.

Willie :D :D :D

12-22-2002, 12:52 AM
Nice pictures of your tanks and fish.

Miles

arpanlib
12-29-2002, 04:49 PM
hi,
nice looking fish.
i am sure your tank will hold for a long time.
just get rid of the parrots and do keep up the good work.

arpanlib

nicefishman
12-31-2002, 09:49 AM
Hi, Wo

It'a great pic. By the way, on the photo you posted on 2002/12/17 (The one with two discus). The discus at the front with bright red stripe, what kind discus it that ? ???

Wahter
12-31-2002, 11:06 AM
So I just found a business reason to visit Taiwan again. Would love to cross some leopard snakes to those RSGs at fish king discus.

Willie :D :D :D

Yeah Willie, please go over there and let me know how the fish look and how nice the breeders are! ;D ;D ;D

(and this time, also let me know if they are dancers, etc....) ;)

Walter

Raj
01-16-2003, 03:50 PM
hey
your discus looks great

SnowCichlid
01-17-2003, 06:20 PM
I wouldnt get rid of the parrots myself..Id just transfer them to their own tank... with that many fish in there its a miracle that they are not getting tortured...the discus that is..those parrots can get roudy... I dont mind the parrots though as long as they are natural ones...and not the ones that were human created... you get my point... NICE LOOKING DISCUS though

01-17-2003, 09:46 PM
Wo: Nice pics. Good looking stocks. Nice round bodies. Grade A fish. You should be proud of your acheivements. Good job. The Parrot fish is called Money fish for the Chinese. Don't get rid of them before Chinese New Year. I just add one of my Lucky fish to your thread for the Chinese New Year. A year of the GOAT. Kung Hey Fat Choi.
Jimmy.

Barb Newell
01-18-2003, 01:38 AM
Really nice fish Wo! and
Jimmy -- as I said before, those are beauties!!!

Barb

wo
01-18-2003, 02:59 PM
Willie : So you have been to Taiwan before?

Mile & Arpanlib: Thanks a lot.

Nicefishman: Thanks. They are a pair of browns.

Raj: Thanks.

Snow cichlid: Thanks. I am thing on how to empty an tank for the parrots.

Jimmy: Thanks. I really love your curipera though. They are such beauties. Please do let them breed. Happy Chinese New Year! Kung Hey Fat Choi for you too.

B_newell: Thanks a lot.

I now set up my first breeding tank. I plan to put the browns in. They had laid eggs for 4 times within a months. They waited for a day and ate the eggs in the community tank so I set up this tank for them and for my growing san merah.

BLUEKNIGHT
01-18-2003, 06:50 PM
Really nice fish. I just love those blue diamonds. also nice fish jimmy. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

BLUEKNIGHT
01-18-2003, 06:51 PM
Really nice fish. I just love those blue diamonds. also nice fish jimmy. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Raj
01-25-2003, 03:22 PM
the tank looks good :thumbsup:
how big is your breeding tank

raj

wo
01-26-2003, 09:57 AM
Hi:

Thanks Blueknight. The blue diamonds are my favorite too.

Thanks Raj. My breeding tank is 90cm Long*45cm Wide*60cm High but divided into 2 tanks so each one tank would be 45*45*60. No successful breeding experience though.

taybelZ
01-27-2003, 09:27 AM
Nice fish man, good luck with getting them to breed. :)
Catch
Dave