PDA

View Full Version : Royal Rant: so called Red Diamonds.

12-15-2002, 01:00 AM
ARRRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Doesn't anyone know what a REAL Red Diamond is?!?!?? I keep seeing Pigeon Blood garbage being passed off as Red Diamonds.

These stupid things don't look ANYTHING like a Red Diamond.

Real Red Diamonds were stunning and gorgeous fish with a huge array of red spots inherited from their Red Spotted Royal Green lineage.

The stuff being sold as Red Diamonds should be flushed down the toilet.

No offense meant to anyone who has these here. I'm slightly ticked at the cheap stuff being passed off as good strains.

12-15-2002, 01:07 AM
So what are you trying to say?? your a little vague. LOL
Take care, Matt

12-15-2002, 01:30 AM
As they say know what they are before you buy. And yes there is alot of GARBAGE being passed out right now. Know your breeder.

HTH
Miles

12-15-2002, 02:09 AM
I think it would be best if you justify your statement with some photos. This would help some of the less experienced members of the board understand what you mean, and thus avoid the "bad fish," if there is such a thing as a bad discus.

12-15-2002, 02:14 AM
fortunately I didn't buy any.

I just saw some and was disgusted. Seems everything with fancy names is some Pigeon derivitive.

fcdiscus
12-15-2002, 02:59 AM
I have the pair of Red Diamonds under the Buy Sell heading- Trade fish thread. I should have fry available in the early spring if youare interested! Frank

12-15-2002, 03:18 AM
I just saw those, April pointed me to the thread you have.

Very nice looking.

Not what I call a Red Diamond, (based on the original red diamonds) but a damn nice looking fish there.

I might be interested.

walton321
12-15-2002, 01:22 PM
So many different names... The red diamonds I saw in Hong Kong are solid red-brown in color from nose to tail with absolutely no black spots, stress bars, or patterns. It's much like a blue diamond except all red. I think sunrise tropicals website has a pic of a red diamond like the one I saw..

12-15-2002, 02:10 PM
that makes about 6 different fish I have seen since last night all bearing the name Red Diamond, and not a single one bearing even the slightest resemblance to Lo Wing Yat's original Red Diamonds.

While they are all nice looking (except the Pigeon derivitives) the name is misleading.

Of course that has always been the case with Discus.

I think the ultimate laugh came last night when I saw something called a "Gold Rolex"

I almost choked to death laughing over that one........

SSTurner
12-15-2002, 02:52 PM
Yes put me on the list for some fry when thier ready PLEASE. Do you have some kind of date as when you may have some :) mturner2@rochester.rr.com Steve

Ryan
12-15-2002, 02:57 PM
I think that's one of the reasons that a lot of people don't go by names. For instance, I know my discus are heckel x turqs... and the fish I got from Al are wild green x blue snakeskin... but no need to give them some fancy name. They are what they are.

When you are dealing with all these importers and wholesaler type people, they give the fish names that will make them sound attractive, and in turn make them sell. The discus hobby is not cut-and-dry like the angelfish hobby. Yes, some variants are widely recognized (blue diamond, red turquoise, pigeon blood) but there's a lot of fog around some of the names we hear.

Ryan

April
12-15-2002, 03:12 PM
ok..discus-dude. id really like to see what you think of as an original red diamond. got your pic?
are they in any books? i have a few.....
or do i have to do a search on lo wing yats fish?
i need education. ;D
i bet you can share alot of older strains and history with us. youve been around longer than me..
pretty please?
::)ok found a red diamond by lo wing yat in my asian discus one book

redlines
12-15-2002, 03:34 PM
FRANK,

That is a fantastic Pair I wish they were mine.

Put me on your list for when you have fry. :)

Andy

12-15-2002, 04:12 PM
I'd still like to see pics so I can learn Discus_Dude....

If you're going to make us all question a strain, tell us what to look for!!! I absolutely LOVE Frank's fish, be them red diamond or not. It seems all the red diamonds I've seen (that were not pigeon knock-offs) were red and white spotted/striated.

Rod
12-15-2002, 04:19 PM
The original Sunny Lo Red diamond was a hybrib Alenquer and rsg then selected and inbred for the base color. The red diamonds these days are mostly red turk X rsg which produces mostly red turk looking discus.

April
12-15-2002, 04:23 PM
ok....so now i gotta find a sunny lo pic of a red diamond?
which book can i find that one in? LOL.

Denny
12-15-2002, 06:42 PM
dude

was it one of the two on this link?

http://www.aquaworldnet.com/dbws/ralbum.shtml

denny

fcdiscus
12-15-2002, 09:41 PM
Thanks to all who had nice things to say about my pair. special thanks to you April! And a really big thanks to Dude! Now I have enough orders for the next six months! Frank :D

redlines
12-15-2002, 09:58 PM
Here are the pics Frank mentioned at the other post.

If anyone can find a picture of the Sunny Lo version I would love to see it posted here to compare with these.

Andy

redlines
12-15-2002, 09:58 PM
pic two

Denny
12-15-2002, 10:37 PM
andy

if i have to look at those pictures one more time, i am going to drive to franks house, lure him out with the publishers clearing house prize trick and smuggle them out the back door ;D enough already lol

denny

redlines
12-15-2002, 11:03 PM
I feel the same way. They are beautiful.

Andy

yogi
12-15-2002, 11:59 PM
Franks fish that use to be owned by Dennis. Are about the closest looking to Sunny Lo's Red Diamond I've seen in a long time. There were a couple different variations of the Red Diamond such as small spot or large spot. Rod correct me if I'm wrong but I do think the Red Diamond came from a red turk x RSG. I think it was Sunny's tangerine dream that came from an Alenquer x RSG. Frank looking at those fish I might have to add myself to that list for fry.

fcdiscus
12-16-2002, 01:12 AM
Hey, I am from NY, and anyone named Yogi is OK in my book! ;D Dennis told me he originally purchased these fish as young from
Shaifullah Yeng. Frank

Lynn
12-16-2002, 01:17 AM
Since this seems to be the place to put your name on the list for some of Frank's, used-to-be Dennis' fry...sign me up!
Those are GORGEOUS fish! ;D
Lynn

Pick
12-16-2002, 01:28 AM
Yep Yep Yep! I like em too!

TC

April
12-16-2002, 02:32 AM
O.K. hold on here....your welcome Frank..but really...all i have to say...is they are now moved completely to the other coastline....from where i am. and i was at once in driving distance from those fish at Dennis' house!!
i swear Dennis was meant to be meeting me at the space needle with those fishies fry...in bags for me. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dennis....how can you ever hope to acquire my rsg x snake ...with no leverage to get them now!!! of course....theres still the curiperas i guess.....
frank......i would've wanted some of those.....LOL.their very nice fish. glad you got them really...your a very lucky guy!!
Think those wilds have gone to Dennis; head. ;D

Dennis_Hardenburge
12-16-2002, 02:40 AM
Ok
April
one last try, I could meet you at the space needle with the big brother of Franks pair. for the snake

Yes they are a cross of turquoise and redspotted green, then the fry back to a red spooted green
Dennis

jeep
12-16-2002, 04:22 AM
Ok Frank, I think it' about time to see some pics of their new home!!! 8)

April
12-16-2002, 04:45 AM
Dennis....unfortuneately....my poor car had given up the ghost right now...no transmission. so..... i have a choice. fish..or a tranny......hmmmmm big decision, my snake and rsg x snake are bowing....before fighting..but now swimming togeather and bowing. and checking the cone out. so you may have to sit tight.. lol.

vinson
12-16-2002, 06:15 AM
Read this thread with interest. I would agreed that the closest description of Sunny Lo's Red Diamond is that of Redlines's pix. The genetics background of RD are RSG, not the solid gene.

redlines
12-16-2002, 11:21 AM
Just to clarify. They are not my pics but rather pics taken by Dennis of fish he sold to Frank. I just posted them here in this thread because they fit. :)

Anyone have a picture of Sunny Lo's original Red Diamond that they can post so we can all compare?

Andy

JeffreyRichard
12-16-2002, 11:31 AM
The Red Diamond Discus was, I believe, first termed this by Sonny Lo Wing Yat of World Wide Fish Farms back in the mid 90's. The fish was a derivative of the Red Spotted Green ... I was told it was a Red Turq crossed into the RSG. The best fish are oranged bodied, and have spots on the center of their bodies. Further refinement became the Tangerine Dream. Attache should be (if it posts correctly) a picture of the tangerine dream, which is a lot like the original Red Diamond.

This picture came from WWFF ... check out the link ... http://www.aic-kumamoto.co.jp/wwff.htm

JeffreyRichard
12-16-2002, 11:32 AM
OK ... how do I post a picture (.gif) ... I tried attaching it in the ATTACH box, but it didn't post?

redlines
12-16-2002, 11:40 AM
Here I did it for you. You need to save the picture to you computer hard disc & then attach it to the post.

DarkDiscus
12-16-2002, 11:45 AM
Frank,

Put me down on the fry list, too!

Sounds like Frank has a lot of demand for those fry!

John

JeffreyRichard
12-16-2002, 11:49 AM
Redlines ... did that. The picture is saved on my C:drive. I browsed for the picture, and double clicked on it, then hit open. Is there something else I should have done?

redlines
12-16-2002, 12:05 PM
If you saved it to your drive then all you should have to do is click on Browse... at the bottom of the Post reply, find the file on your hard drive and click to attach it.

Attach:__________________________ Browse....

If the file is too big you will get an error message telling you to resize it otherwise it should post just fine. Not sure why it didn't work for you if you did everything above ???

JeffreyRichard
12-16-2002, 01:00 PM
Trying again

JeffreyRichard
12-16-2002, 01:00 PM
Thanks ... that worked

12-16-2002, 08:45 PM
dude

was it one of the two on this link?

http://www.aquaworldnet.com/dbws/ralbum.shtml

denny

half of those pics are Lo Wing Yat stock, that much is certain. In fact most of those pics are Sunny's copyrighted pics :)

The Red Diamond pic isn't Sunny's pic. That much is certain, but I would need to see a better shot than that.

Still digging my stuff out of storage so I am not sure I even still have a valid reference photo. If I do I'll certainly post it.

12-16-2002, 08:48 PM
Here are the pics Frank mentioned at the other post.

If anyone can find a picture of the Sunny Lo version I would love to see it posted here to compare with these.

Andy

Regardless of what they are being called, this is an exceptional looking pair of red fish. Diamond or otherwise. I wouldn't think twice about getting 30 or 40 of them.

The Lo Wing Yat fish would appeal more to the fans of wild type discus I think due to the huge pattern of red dots.

12-16-2002, 08:59 PM
The Red Diamond Discus was, I believe, first termed this by Sonny Lo Wing Yat of World Wide Fish Farms back in the mid 90's. The fish was a derivative of the Red Spotted Green ... I was told it was a Red Turq crossed into the RSG. The best fish are oranged bodied, and have spots on the center of their bodies. Further refinement became the Tangerine Dream. Attache should be (if it posts correctly) a picture of the tangerine dream, which is a lot like the original Red Diamond.

Eh, not quite.......

Sunny was selling Red Diamonds in 1990/91 and Tangerines around the same time. I bought my initial stocks from him well before I moved to California in early 1992.

Also, I'd like to clarify a bit on the RSG. There were more than one type of RSG's being passed around back then. RSG's and Red Spotted Royal Greens. The latter garnered almost double the price tag or MORE of an RSG, and for good reason. They are quite stunning in appearance and real hard to get.

I am very dubious that his red diamond became the Tangerine dream.

Denny
12-16-2002, 10:21 PM
at any rate it is confusing. a common sense red diamond would look like a red blue diamond.

here is wattleys r.d
http://www.wattleydiscus.com/pictures.htm

link to see white, gold and green diamonds
http://www.universaldiscus.com/

12-16-2002, 11:49 PM
at any rate it is confusing. a common sense red diamond would look like a red blue diamond.

yeah, when Marc first told me about the Red Diamonds, I had expectations of a solid red fish. With a solid head.

Go figure.

jeep
12-17-2002, 10:09 AM
This may be a dumb question but I'm trying to learn here. The Red Diamonds I've seen are spotted. Why are they not called leopards?

I guess it's up to the breeders to call them anything they want...

12-17-2002, 12:27 PM
This may be a dumb question but I'm trying to learn here. The Red Diamonds I've seen are spotted. Why are they not called leopards?

I guess it's up to the breeders to call them anything they want...

That has really been a long term problem with the discus hobby. The naming is silly.

I have seen people buy something, then sell the offspring with an all new name they make up just to make it MORE marketable.

Of all the stupid naming I have seen, the very worst name to date has to go to the idiot who decided a mediocre looking yellowish Discus should be called a Gold Rolex.

12-17-2002, 08:10 PM
okay, here is the scoop on this.......

The LoWingYat Tangerine was RSG x Alenquer.

the Red Diamond was Schmidt Focke Red Turquoise x Red Spotted Royal Green.

Wolf
12-17-2002, 08:49 PM
Of all the stupid naming I have seen, the very worst name to date has to go to the idiot who decided a mediocre looking yellowish Discus should be called a Gold Rolex.

;D :flame: You must have missed the pics of my Ivory Rolls Royce then.

12-17-2002, 09:30 PM

;D :flame: You must have missed the pics of my Ivory Rolls Royce then.

LOL!