PDA

View Full Version : Filters again!?

engineguy129
12-15-2002, 07:39 PM
Hello all,
Ok I have a qwik question. I did see the previous question a day ago er so. I am about a month and a half off from buying my 1st discus!!!! yipee!!!!!! Alright then I have procured a ehiem 2229 wet/dry (please dont gang up on me) which I was going to use in conjuntion with a AC500..............hence all of this will will be on a 150 gallon tank. Will this suffice. I know how some people feel about canister filters..........I have done my research on this one and it have a lot of raves...........I hear they can be a pain in the keester yes but I am up for it........I work on 4.2 million dollar jet engines I hope I can hack a filter. Ok now heaters yes off the beaten track ebo jagers?? Lastly, my ph sux here Southern Cal lotsa phosfates and calcium.............usually averages about 7.8 (gouramies do not mind) the use of peat or pillows to drop the ph?? I have read peat will give the tank a pee yellowish look as it is in the discus habitat and lower the ph. Thanks for listening to me yap............Rob

Carol_Roberts
12-15-2002, 10:09 PM
7.8 is fine to raise juveniles - many of us on the board have 7.8 pH. Best to not mess with your water except to heat and agitate it so the the temperature and pH of the clean water is the same as that already in the tank.

when it's time to breed discus you will probably need an RO unit to reduce the GH (hardness).

Carol :heart1:

engineguy129
12-15-2002, 10:24 PM
Thank you Carol!!!!
Does the set up sound like a winner so far?? I plan on setting up a BB hospital tank 30g with a hydro sponge 3...........figure I could use it as a breeding tank as well.........more research up ahead. If I am doing anything foolish please correct me. Thank you again.