PDA

View Full Version : Lazy Dad

larry lob
12-16-2002, 10:07 AM
Hi,

Could someone shed some light on this for me?

My fish layed eggs for the 1st time for me the weekend, they have layed b4 for the last owner and fertalised.

the mum has stayed by the cone and fans the eggs, she has gone dark in colour and all seems normal, However the dad is as bright as sunshine and frequents the mum momentaraly then goes about his business.

they are not at war and look like they are getting on ok but he has not darkened or helped much.

Is this normal or does it indicate that he will be of no help. will the babies even attach to him (assuming i get that far)?

any advice would be appriciated.

Larry

Carol_Roberts
12-16-2002, 11:04 PM
If the dad is a yellow or orange pigeon blood he may not darken much. I have a big yellow male raising a batch all by himself and he's doing just fine.
Carol :heart1:

Coetz
12-18-2002, 09:30 AM
Hey,
It could be the fact that it is the first time for him, so he is just getting used to spawning, my discus didn't go dark the first time. Just give it time, I was stressing out when my discus had their first couple of spawns, everytime the seemed to get further and further. It took about 11 goes before they eventually raised them good. Have fun

Coetz**