PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble with fishless cycle

Russ
12-17-2002, 11:11 AM
My nitrites have risen and fallen back to 0ppm and my nitrates are through the roof at over 100ppm, but my ammonia levels constinitenly stay at 5ppm and do not fall. It's been like this for 2 weeks, I don,t know the problem. I'm going to try a water change to lower the nitrates, I would appreciate any advice.

Russ

georgef
12-17-2002, 03:22 PM
Hi, Russ --

How old is your test kit? Test the water straight from your tap to see if that also registers ammonia. If so, could be that your test kit just got old and tired. :) I've seen it happen before.

George

Smokey
12-17-2002, 04:04 PM
Howdy Russ; george is right; make sure your test kits are fresh and telling the whole truth. I hate it when the test kits go bad!!1
My ammonia test kit reads 0.1 as a minium. Even though there is no ammonia. I think; or else it is super sensative (???). hmmmm. Also, some test kits react differently .
do water changes to lower your Nitrates to 5.0 ppm. sounds like the bio-filter is working properly.

12-17-2002, 06:02 PM
yea...seems to me you aren't having trouble with the fishless cycle, but rather with the test kit!!! lol I guess nitrasomas can exist w/out nitrosomas (if that's even what they're called or how they're spelled).

Russ
12-20-2002, 07:24 PM
I used two seperate test kits Wardly and Tetra and both are new and are showing a positive ammonia reading, I don't know what the problem could be.

Russ

Carol_Roberts
12-21-2002, 12:40 AM
Do a 90% water change. Put in enough ammonia to register 3 ppm. Test 24 hours later. If zero, tank is cycled since you are showing nitrAtes.
Carol :heart1:

Smokey
12-21-2002, 07:52 PM
Russ; Can you provide us with the new tank reading ?
NH3 = ?
NO2 = ?
NO3 = ?
pH = ?
temp = ?
Sounds lke you have elimated the test kits as a problem .
Generally ammonia disapates after ~ 10 -15 days, and the
Nitrites should top out after ~25 days. Meanwhile the Nitrates should increase continuisely.
It takes ~ 15 days minimun for the bio colony to double in size; perhaps all the ammonia amounts have not been "CONSUMED" because the nitrofinig bacteria necessary has not grown/developed enough; yet ...

What do you think ???
Smokey

Russ
12-28-2002, 01:25 AM
After doing a 90% water change my nitrates were lowered to around 30ppm and then I added ammonia to 5ppm and after several days it lowered to 1ppm so I added more ammonia to 5ppm and the next day it was 1ppm. It seems my problem has been fixed and I will wate until it goes from 5ppm to 0ppm in 12 hours before I do a major water change and add fish. I thank everyone who responded for their advice.

Russ

12-28-2002, 01:52 AM
good deal, it still sounds like your cycle took a really long time. You also need to make sure your nitrites are at 0 ppm after 12 hours too....

Carol_Roberts
12-28-2002, 01:55 AM
I bet your tank is cycled now. I'd do another big water change and get the nitrAtes down to 5. then, if you want to be sure add enough ammonia to make a 3 or 4 on the test chart. I bet it's zero in 12 hours.

Do another big water change before adding discus. Your good bacteria is not in the water - it's in the filter. Changing lots of water is the key to big, healthy discus. The filters are there for insurance.
Carol :heart1: