PDA

View Full Version : diagnosing sick fish

Pisces
12-17-2002, 02:40 PM
??? I have a fish not eating, with stringy white
feces, and I can't determine whether it's bacterial
or parasitic.
My tank is 45 gallons, I have 3 discus, (medium sized at best-all are young) 3 congo tetras, and 3 rummynose. The temp is now 88, PH 6.4, no ammonia or nitrates. I do 2 WC a week, about 20%, and have had no fluctuations. All were well--this sick discus was eating frozen shrimp and blood worms hungrily from my fingers twice a day. Then I ran out of Hikari frozen shrimp and since one of my fish only eats shrimp, I bought another brand from Pet LAnd. This melted on the way home and I refroze it thinking that Discus had a different constitution than humans. I was wrong, wasn't I? First I lost two congo tetras. Their lower half turned whitish, and they looked a little bloated. And then my discus stopped eating and his intestinal area looks uneven, as if it's sunken in a little maybe (he doesn't really look bloated, but I can't really tell).
I've treated for five days (every other day with Hexamite) and two teas. salt to each 10 gallons. Last night I replaced carbon and did a water change which seemed to stress him more. At this point I don't know whether to try fluke tabs, or continue with Hexamite. Or try penicillan.
Is there anyway to determine more precisely what is ailing my fish?
Please help. Thanks. Wendyb

fcdiscus
12-17-2002, 05:53 PM
First try cleaning them out with 5 tsp of Epsom Salt, and then try feeding them some live food. Either Blackworms or Brine shrimp. HTH, Frank

Pisces
12-17-2002, 08:40 PM
Thanks for your advice. What do you mean by cleaning them out with epsom salt though?
I've already got salt in the water--two teas to each ten gallon. I'm getting pretty worried.
The fish hasn't eaten in about a week.

fcdiscus
12-17-2002, 09:04 PM
The epsom salt will clean out their digestive tract in case there is a blockage. frank

12-18-2002, 01:18 AM
Wendyb,
If that is the discus with the white stringy feces then you have a case of HEX started. But from what I read on your post, I did not understand if all the fish were that way or not.
Hex treatment is 90 plus degrees and (Metronidazole)400 mg per 10 gallon of water with 50% w/c's everyday and run treatment for 3 days.

HTH
Miles

fcdiscus
12-18-2002, 01:29 AM
I would agree Miles, but he says he tried treating for Hex! No? Frank

Pisces
12-18-2002, 01:32 PM
:) :)Thanks for the advice. Sorry if I was unclear.
Out of the three discus in the tank, only one is sick.
The others appear to be in fine form, and are
eating plenty. I've already treated with one cycle
of hexamite using 250mg Hex to each 10 gallons, but fish made no improvement.
Then I did 20% WC replacing salt lost (orignally used
2 TBS salt per 10 gall) and carbon--I was going to start a round of fluke tabs. Good to know the stringy white feces indicates Hex. Would the fish have these fecesif it were flukes?
This sick discus began hiding more
after the WC and replacement of carbon and still won't eat
eating. I read to try boosting the Hexamite to 400mg
per 10 gallon if it was the commercial brand, which it is,
so I'm going to repeat the cycle with Hexamite at this strenght. I started last night and this morning fish
was swimming around more than last night, but is still
not eating. I've only heard horrible things about
force feeding, but how long can a fish live if it doesn't eat?
Any suggestions I greatly appreciate. This is a beautiful tangerine colored discus, usually full of life, and I really don't want to lose it. Thanks much. Wendy

12-18-2002, 01:50 PM
What temp is the tank. If your not at 94deg the metro will have no affect.

Mike

EthanCote.com
12-18-2002, 01:57 PM
Just curious, you are not using carbon when you are treating your fish with Metro are you? Carbon will absorb the medication and thus explains why your sicked fish didn't feel better.

Since the post wasn't too clear, I just thot I bring this point out if you weren't aware of it before.

Wish you best of luck with him.

Cheers,

Chi.

Pisces
12-18-2002, 03:56 PM
Sorry I'm so unclear in my posts.
No, I'm not using carbon while treating. I
replaced it after treatment to clear out
residual medicine because I was going to
try another kind (which I didn't do).
My temp is only 88. The two heaters
I havein there won't go any higher, so