PDA

View Full Version : Won't eat

regal
12-18-2002, 08:14 PM
Bought some discus on Monday, they will not eat. I have tried beefheart, earthworms, and pellet food. My water parameters are as follows: Ph 7, KH 3, 300 microS, 0 nitrate/nitrite/ammonia. Bought these from a breeder who also sold me 40 cardinals said it would be OK to put them all together (total of 3 discus (5") and 40 cardinals in my 110 gallan tank. My wife said that they ate a couple pieces of the pellet food on tues but not much and nothing since. Any advice?

jeep
12-18-2002, 08:44 PM
It's only been 2 days. Maybe they just need time to adjust. I was told that new arrivals should have a higher temp (87-88?) for a few weeks after the transition in order to raise metabolism and make them more active. Might not be a bad idea to give them some salt.

What did the other person feed them???

Good luck and keep an eye out for other problems...

regal
12-18-2002, 09:30 PM
The breeder fed the pellets, they do show some interest in these but spit them out. Should I try live brine shrimp or black worms?

fcdiscus
12-18-2002, 09:38 PM
Did you see them eat the pellets before youbought them? Frank

jeep
12-18-2002, 09:40 PM
That's not a bad idea. Just remember, this may be just a transitional thing. It's still very early for drastic measures. Read through the sickness section and keep an eye out for any other symptoms that may arise. In the mean time just turn up the temp and give it some time...

regal
12-18-2002, 09:56 PM
Should have ask to see them eat, this is a repputable dealer that was recommended thru the board. The fish looked very healthy. The swim good but like to hide.

fcdiscus
12-18-2002, 10:15 PM
If you feel he is trustworthy, then keep feeding what he told you to. they will eat soon. I doubt it is disease. You will spoil them with CBW's- trust me, I know! ;) Frank

jeep
12-18-2002, 10:24 PM
Remember, Discus are schoolers. They probably came from a tank where there was safety in numbers. Now you have 3 discus in a 110g tank. How would you feel, a little scared maybe? :'(

regal
12-18-2002, 10:39 PM
Yes they were with the rest of their brood and now there is only three, plus my tank has plants which is new to them. Hopefully they will adjust, I had the same situation with a ram once finally got him to eat worms then mysid shrimp

Carol_Roberts
12-18-2002, 11:04 PM
I agree with the others - 86 or so temp, salt @ 1 or 2 tablespoons per 10 gallons, feed exactly what the breeder fed, extra water changes.

What was in the tank before? I see you have zero nitrate is the tank fully cycled?

Carol :heart1:

larry lob
12-19-2002, 06:15 AM
Hi,

There is a quick fix to just get some food in your fish, Interpet 9 anti bacterial also has steroid in it I always give new fish a 2 day course. You will see them more active and eating within 30 minutes of adding it to the water it will make them more active for a couple of hours but don't redose till 3 days later.

I would also recheck your nitrites adding fish could cause them to spike that will make your fish listless and not eat.

salt and stress coat help releave till the bacteria increase for the added bioload.

Hope this help keep us posted.

Larry

pasofino
12-19-2002, 10:44 AM
Hi
You need to put them in a smaller tank and lower your ph slowly to about 6.0. Put bacteria from a established tank and keep the temp at 82. Feed them what you have been feeding, remove any uneaten food after 1 hour.
Paul

RichieE
12-19-2002, 11:39 AM
I would not add any medication at this point. They are new and HARDLY eating .This is not uncommon. I agree with Frank if they are eating a little they will most likely eat black worms but then they wont eat anything else. If things dont improve in the next week you might try them.
If the tank was just set up wait a week or more to add any new fish(should be QT'D anyway). 6 or more is one rule that I really like ;D and you have plenty of room.
I have found the salt and 88 temp do help to get them eating. Rich

regal
12-19-2002, 05:10 PM
All, the tank was cycled with ammonia then I kept ottos and shrimp for 2 months before the discus. I have a pothos and peace lilly sump which sucks up nitrate very fast. I turned the tamp up to 88F last night, Today my wife tells me they ate good chunk of beefheart from some hemostats

regal
12-19-2002, 05:12 PM
Richie, I thought of adding more discus but with a 110 gallon tank I thought 3 discus and 40 cardinals would be about the max stocking? Do you think I could add a couple more?

12-19-2002, 06:19 PM
you could easily put another 5+ discus in there

regal
12-19-2002, 07:26 PM
I thought it was 10 gallons per discus then 1" per gallon so 3 discus=30 gal, 40 cardinals = 80 gallons =110 gallons total?

jeep
12-19-2002, 07:29 PM
That's a pretty large tank. With good filtration and W/C's, you should be fine adding several more discus...

Besides, I'd rather have more tanks, 40 discus and 3 tetras ;D ;D ;D

fcdiscus
12-19-2002, 08:53 PM
I would keep about 20 discus in a tank like that, and change alot of water. they like crowds. Frank

hunterbeav
12-20-2002, 01:39 AM
Hi IMO I would bring the water temp up to 88 or 90 and add a little non-iodized salt. You said there in a 110gal tank I'd add 8 to 10 tablespoons of non-iodized salt that will raise there motabolism and they will eat :) PS: I agree with Frank I'd add at least 8 to 10 more discus to the 3 you have. :)

April
12-20-2002, 02:22 AM
but...then youd need to quarantine.
but yes...a nice school of discus. they will be up at the top begging for food every few minutes.
3 is the worst number to have. 4 is better...6 is better than that and 8 - 10 is way better.

RichieE
12-20-2002, 02:00 PM
Regal, 1 fish per 10 gall is an excellent guide for large fish such as Discus. In my opinion, and I know others will disagree, when you get up near 100+ gall you can begin to stretch that rule under two conditions. The first would be to do large water changes every day. Miss one water change and you can almost feel the fish are not happy. The second is overkill on the filtration. In my 125 I have 2 sponge filters and a large wet dry filter. Lots of air/water movement. I have 19 discus in it not all are full grown.
I have noticed breeders with large tanks "overstock" them,probally out of necessity. They just change more water. I was down to Wattleys in May and I think Gabes got 10 FISH to every Gall. ;D Rich

regal
12-20-2002, 06:44 PM
These fish haven't ate since wed and then it was very little. They are very spooky. I moved them to a quarintine tank. Put in picling salt and turned the temp up to 88F. They act like wild fish.

12-21-2002, 12:08 AM
You had better add a extra airstone to supply more air to the tank. The oxygen disapates at a higher temps.

Miles

regal
12-21-2002, 02:43 PM
I got in touch with the breeder he said to try Haikari Frozen Blood worms, so I went to the nearest pet store and bought freeze dried blood worms and no dice they weren't interested.

So I called around and found the Haikari frozen bloodworms. The discus gourged themselves ATE LIKE PIGS on the frozen bloodworms. Wierd? I think its the bright red color of the worms, cause they have no interest in the freeze dried ones. They won't eat the frozen beefheart I had but I'm going to try some fresh beefheart.

Now I am ready to take the advice here and add a couple more discus to the trio. Do these need to be about the same size (4")?

jeep
12-21-2002, 02:51 PM
Great. Sounds like they're finally at home. Try to mix up their foods or else they'll make you feed only blood worms.

It would be best to QT your new fish!!!

Carol_Roberts
12-21-2002, 05:19 PM
Yes, it is best to get fish of the same size. Can you get more from the same breeder?

My discus never eat freeze dried anything. It's hard enough to get discus you've had for months to try new foods, let alone scared, new arrivals. Always try to feed new discus the same foods they've been eating all along.
CArol :heart1:

12-22-2002, 12:45 AM
Good for you. Some fish take alittle longer to adjust than others. Be sure to feed a variety of food or they will have you trained real well.

Miles ;D