PDA

View Full Version : Red Melons

lwarctic
12-19-2002, 12:40 AM
Hello everyone. This is one of my red melons. I have had this for about 2 months and as you can see it has a bright red spot on its nose. Just curious if this is normal and what it may be. Also, I thought they would be more of a brighter red than this. Any comments on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Les :P :P :P

fcdiscus
12-19-2002, 12:48 AM
You sure that is a Red Melon? It does not look like one to me. frank

Carol_Roberts
12-19-2002, 02:27 AM
You have a lovely pigeon blood with a nice round body and high fins. Excellent red eye too. Color feeding will bring out more red, but probably not as much as most melons. If the red spot is not red pigment then it is an infection. How long has he had it? You may want to have a gram negative antibiotic on hand to use if it does not clear up in a few days.
Carol :heart1:

John Kwek
12-19-2002, 03:06 AM
Well, it is a Golden pigeon, not RM. I used to have tonnes of them.
Anyway, it's still a very nice fish overall.
Don't worry about those redness around noses, it will goes off. Usually when they eat too hard against the glass or they dart and knocks something hard during water change or frighten.

sportzfish
12-19-2002, 11:09 AM
i hear the red melons are bred with some goldens in order to get the clean appearance in the fish and that color enhancers are used to make them all look like red melons in the end, but obviously once the color feeding ends, then you have what is shown in the picture.

Ajdiscuss
12-23-2002, 10:38 AM
Your discus is not a Red Melon. It is a normal Pigeon Blood discus. I do have Red melon but I do not have pix of it now. It is close to my Super Marlboro.

12-25-2002, 09:36 PM
Welcome to the photo section Les!!! Nice picture, love the orange color. I do not know what the red spot is, you could right click on your photo, hit properties and copy the URL address and paste it into a new post under the disease section, and maybe someone their will recognize if that is normal or not. Let us know in photo though, k?

Weezy ;D

12-26-2002, 12:22 AM
Good Pic's.

Miles

arpanlib
12-29-2002, 03:58 PM
hi,
lovely fish you got there and am sure, with time it will have much better colours. just keep up the good work.

best of luck.

apanlib