PDA

View Full Version : Bloating!

DanS
12-19-2002, 02:33 PM
Got up this morning and 1 of my PB was upside down at the top of the tank. It was still breathing but really bloated. I've put it in a seperate tank and added epsom salt. It can stay upright with effort but right now is upside down with it's back just touching the bottom of the tank. What's the normal dosage for epsom salt (I put in 1-1/2 tsp for 10 gal). Is there anything else to do but wait?

Carol_Roberts
12-19-2002, 05:02 PM
This sounds like more than just contipation. IF no improvement by now add another couple of teaspoons epsom salt. Lower water level to just an inch above top fin. You may want to have an antibiotic like Kanacyn on hand.
Carol :heart1:

12-20-2002, 11:52 PM
Dan,
You can treat 1-2 tsp. per gallon as a dip. And then put back into a q-tank and have the water 1" above the dorsal fin.
Epsom salt for 30 minutes.
HTH
Miles

12-21-2002, 12:52 AM
In a dire situation like this, you can do more. Go for 4 tbs./10 gallons. That's what Cary told me to do and it's worked great. That's not for a dip either...

Barb Newell
12-21-2002, 01:52 AM
Hi, I am certainly no expert but I had a fish that was tail standing, could not swim, it would fall on its side on the bottom of the tank, then get up and tail stand again. It was really bloated and I was sure she was going to die.

Cary helped me. I dosed epsom salts at 2 tbsp/gal and added Kanacyn, double dose so instead of the recommended 250mg/10 gals I added 500 mg/10 gals daily. I was to leave the light on (not to leave the fish in the dark) and to get the water moving as much as possible so it was moving the fish around. I added as many airstones as I had and left the light on for 3 days. I guess they'll die in the still darkness.

Anyway, it worked. After about 24-36 hours the fish started to struggle at swimming, she's fine now. After the kanacyn treatment was finished, I treated with metro b/c her poop was creamy goop. It's normal now.

Good luck!

Barb

12-21-2002, 02:47 AM
Miles

:-X :-X :-X :-X

limige
12-22-2002, 06:09 AM
i had one that was alittle bloated, not bad like yours but i used penicylin and it cleared right up.

but i would definitely use the advise above, they are more experienced than i.