PDA

View Full Version : Shimmy, Shimmy, Shake, Shake???

jsojda
12-20-2002, 10:20 AM
I have noticed some strange behavior in my tank recently. I think it could be considered the "shimmy, shimmy, shake, shake" but I am not sure. This would be my first experience with the dance and i was wondering if someone could explain the ritual. In the mean time i am off to crack some wine, turn the lights down low, and play some Barry White!

larry lob
12-20-2002, 11:22 AM
Hi,

Assuming they are old enough and don't just have a paracite...... they bow to eachother as they pass, they start shimmying which looks like they vibrate and then start cleaning an area one egging the other on by shimmying.
If there are other fish in the tank they will guard, protect an area chasing other fish away, in my experiance there is no mistaking the ritual when it starts, they can clean shimmy and vibrate for a whole week b4 they actualy get it on or even just a few hours, pairs do differ.

If it is love good luck, sit back and marvel at this experiance.

The main thing is give them time, space, good food, good water and enjoy the magic even if it doesn't go right the 1st few times.

HTH
Larry

12-21-2002, 12:58 AM
Mine shimmy and shake for more than a week sometimes. I think that's because the female is trying to choose a male though...lol