PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on Discus Club

mench
12-20-2002, 11:25 AM
Ok this may seem like a bad idea,but here goes any way...I am toying with the idea of starting up a Discus club in our area..I live in Rochester,NY and I think an area say 75 miles around would be a good place to start...What I want to know is if there is any intrest in doing this..I think even if we only start with 5 or 6 members,the word would get out and more would come...I don't want a group with a lot of rules or regs...we don't need dues,bylaws etc,just a bunch of fish nuts that want to get together say every 3 or 4 months and talk about fish...I would like to fell that a club would be a good way of finding out what works and what doesn't with the way we keep our fish,also a good way to maybe trade some fish and help everyones breeding program..This club won't be a place to dis other fish people,just a fun thing,at least I hope it would be fun.
I think I will shoot for the first meeting at my house sometine in march,that is if I can get at least a half way semi good responce.....
So anyone in the Rochester Ny area get in touch with me via e-mail or other means and we will see where this goes...I guess I have too much free time .......
E-mail......mench39@rochester.rr.com
Or if ya want to call.....585-288-5375

Don't worry if ya live ousite the 75 miles,if ya want to come feel free...

Mench

I wll keep ya informed if I get enough intrest to carry this along...

12-20-2002, 11:29 AM
Alright Mench.... !!!!!

I just wish I lived closer to Rochester, NY. (Rochester, MN? no prob) I would be your first member.....

GREAT reaction to Pauls thread !!!!

Julz........................ :)

pasofino
12-20-2002, 11:52 AM
Ok this may seem like a bad idea,but here goes any way...I am toying with the idea of starting up a Discus club in our area..I live in Rochester,NY and I think an area say 75 miles around would be a good place to start...What I want to know is if there is any intrest in doing this..I think even if we only start with 5 or 6 members,the word would get out and more would come...I don't want a group with a lot of rules or regs...we don't need dues,bylaws etc,just a bunch of fish nuts that want to get together say every 3 or 4 months and talk about fish...I would like to fell that a club would be a good way of finding out what works and what doesn't with the way we keep our fish,also a good way to maybe trade some fish and help everyones breeding program..This club won't be a place to dis other fish people,just a fun thing,at least I hope it would be fun.
I think I will shoot for the first meeting at my house sometine in march,that is if I can get at least a half way semi good responce.....
So anyone in the Rochester Ny area get in touch with me via e-mail or other means and we will see where this goes...I guess I have too much free time .......
E-mail......mench39@rochester.rr.com
Or if ya want to call.....585-288-5375

Don't worry if ya live ousite the 75 miles,if ya want to come feel free...

Mench

I wll keep ya informed if I get enough intrest to carry this along...
This is agreat idea, chris johnson out of syrucruz will be there for sure if he finds out through the grape vine. He doesn't communicate through a cumputer still likes to hear a human voice on the other end of a tellaphone.
If we create enough reginal clubs we might have a chance of a big show some day. Now thats what i call fun. Lets party!

Jeff
12-20-2002, 11:55 AM
Sorry Mench I'm on the wrong coast. We have recently started the same though with success. It is a lot of fun and very rewarding. I wish you good luck.

Jeff

mench
12-20-2002, 11:56 AM
Thanks Paul,now all we need is for me to get some people to get back to me.Paul if ya have chris's phone numbe send it to me and I will give him a call,and he can spread the word around his area.

Thanks,
Mench

lcs
12-20-2002, 03:20 PM
Mench...great idea! I also live in Rochester and as someone looking to start their first discus tank soon, I would greatly appreciate a local source of knowledge. For quite a while I have been wondering what the activity in the area was like; not just for discus enthusiasts, but freshwater in general.

I would be glad to get on board something like this and I agree about keeping it casual and informal. At least until the group becomes the most sought after source for fish and information in the country! 8) ;D :P

I almost started a thread like this a while ago, but seeing as I don't even have discus yet, I thougt it might be better coming from those that have been at this a while.

Anyway, thanks and I'll be in touch here and via email.
Lisa

12-20-2002, 03:29 PM
why not try to start a bigger club, like the Discus Study group was?

Something where you could have international members, a website, shows etc?

mench
12-20-2002, 03:59 PM
I am trying to start with just a little wheel,not the whole car.
If there are more discus clubs started throught the country,then maybe we can bring up the Discus Study group again,and again.etc,etc...

mench
12-20-2002, 04:02 PM
Hi Lisa,glad to have on board,always good to find more discus nuts in the area.Feel free to either e-mail or call me if ya need any info on getting started,I am retired and am home most days,so if ya want ya can come over for a visit .

Mench

12-20-2002, 04:04 PM
I can drive a car.

a wheel just sits in the garage until I have a car.

ther is likely not enough discus market to go around to have lots of little clubs. however ther is truth in the addage of strength in numbers.

a lot of little guys band together to form a much larger group. in for a penny, might as well be in for a pound while you are at it.

mench
12-20-2002, 05:31 PM
There has been an effort to restart the Discus Study Group,but I guess the interest died out or whatever,I don't know all the facts why it didn't get restarted.I think we can get a small group going in our area but I don't have the expertise to form a world wide club,I think I will let that job go the people who have some knowledge about how to go about it.
I would join the study group but I don't think I would be the one to start it..I like being a small fish in a big pond....
A small group of people getting together in our area for a few hours a couple times a yr doesn't seem bad...We will see where it goes..If not ,then there still is all the fourms...

Mench

12-20-2002, 05:42 PM
I think restarting the Discus Study Group would likely be a bad thing.

If you start a new group, get a new name. Otherwise even though it is all new people, you'll still have people who complain about the previous management, even though there is no relation.

Lynn
12-20-2002, 05:42 PM
Ron,
Small is definitely the way to start IMO.
It would be a bit far for me, but I can usually schedule my work around things if I know ahead of time.
Let me know the outcome!
Thanks!
Lynn

gary1218
12-20-2002, 07:07 PM
I'M THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :D ;D

GARY

brewmaster15
12-20-2002, 07:14 PM
The Northeast Discus meeting had 30 attendents this past NOV, with probably about 15 of the keeping Discus. This covered NEWYork, New jersey,CT, RI and Mass. That was only a fraction of the discus nuts on this board in those areas.. It was the first meeting, and was a bit of work . Meeting 2x a year should work well for us. The larger the meeting , the more work it entails, and the farther people will have to travel. For the time being I think smaller groups and regional meetings work best.

But, As I have said in the past, Simply discus will try to be as involved as possible in these meetings, and the server we own may be availible for use to host websites for the groups.. Anyone interested in this can contact me and we can discuss it... I am amazed at all the recent group meetings going on, and I think its great! Everyone should look to their areas and see if there is interest.. I count my experiences at this last meeting as beyond value!

Take care,
al

jim_shedden
12-20-2002, 07:48 PM
Hi Ron : this may sound bizare but I would be interested in your group. I do a lot of work in Dofasco & Stelco steel plants in Hamilton Ontario and it is not that far away from you. I would arrange my work trips to coincide with the meetings. I know we are also planning a Toronto meeting for February. Sounds great......if I can help let me know.

Jim