PDA

View Full Version : Please help me understand.........

sparky7
12-20-2002, 02:50 PM
Ok, here's the situation, obviously I'm a newbie to discus, but I have done alot of homework before we purchased our babies, ph is 7.0, 0 nitrate, 0 nitrite, 0 ammonia, KH 6, planted tank, temp is 86-88 ( fluctulates with lights), 80 gal. tank , 2 canister filters, ro water (treated of course with ro right and discus ess., uv filter...........
We purchased 8 discus about a month ago, 2 snowflakes, 2 blue diamonds, 2 golden pegeons, and 2 golden melons, they matched as pairs in size when we recieved them, but since then the one of the blue diamonds is twice the size of the other, why is that, and all are growing well, but the 2 snowflakes are much slower in growing.........
And why are the big ones so mean to the littler ones?? Especially the big blue to the little blue, they are siblings for heaven sakes!!
Any help would be appriciated........ ???

John_Nicholson
12-20-2002, 03:50 PM
You almost always have some that grow slower then others. They are normally a little lower in the pecking order.

Why are the big ones mean to the little ones? Mainly because they are animals and that is how the world functions. The politically correct notion that everyone is treated the same is just a made up mistake made be well meaning people. Animals don't pay it much mind.

-jhon

12-20-2002, 06:35 PM
snowflakes are highly inbred fish - that's how they got that all-white color. Because of that they grow much slower. It may take them over 2 years to fully mature. They also will not get as big as the other fish, with a max size of around 6 inches.

John_Nicholson
12-20-2002, 06:55 PM
Your right on the white but I thought she was talking about the blue diamonds?

" And why are the big ones so mean to the littler ones?? Especially the big blue to the little blue, they are siblings for heaven sakes!!"

-john

sparky7
12-21-2002, 02:20 PM
Thank you John and Brad, your input has helped me to understand my pretty babies :)

12-21-2002, 07:56 PM
As long as you can see that they are all excited about eating and they look good, then you're doing as good a job as you can. Just keep up those waterchanges.

12-21-2002, 09:29 PM
Good Food and Lots of Water Changes make Discus HAPPY!!

Miles