PDA

View Full Version : Babies dying???

Coetz
12-21-2002, 08:33 AM
Hey everyone,
I have about 40 Red_Turqu babies at about half an inch and no matter what I do they just keep on dying, about 5 a day. I don't know what is wrong??? Can anyone with experience of this people tell me any info that will help me? This is the first batch that have got this far, they have another that they are minding on the pole and have just got their little tales. Any info will be helpful, thanx heaps...

Coetz**

larry lob
12-21-2002, 10:42 AM
Hi coetz,

I don't have any experiance with this but i hear loads of people that have gill fluke problems with babys.
another issue may be that if your water is soft enough for breeding maybe they are lacking in minerals they need at this stage. but realy ask another 1st.

maybe a mild dose of methain blue would help and definatly won't harm the new batch.

salt i have heard differing oppinions on with babie but salt is my friend to releave certain problems.

Another option is stress coat which is not a medication but a fantastic genral immune builder that can't hurt, which is what i would add till i get better help.

Also check water perams again don't forget you have an added bio load.

HTH

good luck

Larry

12-21-2002, 01:03 PM
Gill Flukes, I'd say. Give Cary or another breeder a call and they'll fix you up with what to do.

Brad

OEG
12-21-2002, 02:03 PM
Coetz,
I agree with the gill fluke theory, i have used formalin at half dose with a single baby i was carring for, he did great till i made a boo boo but he was doing really good, i dont have a whole lot of experience but i do know that the formalin at that dose had no ill effects on them.
Oscar

12-21-2002, 02:32 PM
Coetz,it could very well be flukes, but it could be many other things also. Can you post some more info.
Randy

kokebon
12-21-2002, 04:32 PM
Hello!!!

I have had the same problem before with my first batch. 50% of water change daily did not help prevent the death of the fries. People have suggested to use Formalin, but this medicine is not allowed to be sold in California. So, what I have used is Jungle's "Small Fish Saver" it helps keep small fish alive. Its a medication for gill fluke and it has work quite effective.

Couple symptoms I have seen before the fries died are swimming on the top side way, hiding away, and fin closed.
some salt will help relieve the stress, however, I have only used Small fish saver to treat the gill fluke problem.
I've also talked to couple of local breeders, over feeding and over crowding may also contribute to the death.

I have never tried formalin but I have heard its an effective medication, so, you should try that out first.

With my second batch on the way, I try to get them use to the tap water first and add small fish saver in the breeding tank, so by the time I move them they will be well adjusted and prevent any loss.

Check your water parameter too!! whats the temp?ph? GH?

hth

Kokebon ;)

darcy
12-21-2002, 07:43 PM
I'm no expert myself. But here's what I did. My fry were all hudled in the corner of a 10 gallon. They would eat but only go up and down chasing bbs in that corner. A few would stray to other parts of the tank but not for long. I used 2drops of formaldehyde per gallon, with a 50% water change after 8 hours. After the water change those little bugger's were all over the place . I believe this was on dec16 or 17 and the babies are were just over 2 weeks of age then. Today they are still doing great and growing like weeds!!!!!

I raised them myself and when they were still in the dishes and I was using R/O I would just add a little tap water everyday untill they were in pure tap water. I hope to get pic's up of them soon but my digital camera is a pile of crap and you can hardly even tell they are fish!!
Darcy