PDA

View Full Version : Buying Discus

TnMark
12-21-2002, 11:56 AM
I have been researching for about a month now and have decided to take the plunge and start with discus. I have a 135 gallon tank and I'm looking to start with 8-10 2 inchers. I do not plan to breed them (for now). Should I be buying fish by type in pairs or can I buy just 1 of 10 different types (I like variety)? Also, has anyone had experience with mrdiscus (also known as Sunrise Tropicals)? Thanks.

Denny
12-21-2002, 12:02 PM
it's like candy, you can stick with one flavor or buy several different ones if you prefer. try using the banner ads on this page for great lakes discus, a discus dream or rocky mountain discus and look at the available types. from there call them and you will be well on your way.

see if cary has a "fruit basket"

denny

Carol_Roberts
12-21-2002, 02:18 PM
With a tank that big I would get at least 10. It's fun to get a bunch of different colors - especially if you don't have a favorite yet. However, you will more than likely end up with discus of different sizes and ages. You will find over time that the larges and oldest discus get the majority of the food and the smaller/younger ones stay smaller and perhaps runt. Try to get them as close in size and age as possible. Personally, I keep all of one spawn in a grow out tank. It's very striking to see a mass of 10 alike discus in a tank!

Where are you from? It's really fun to pick your discus out in person. DJ gave you a great list of breeders.
Carol :heart1:

12-21-2002, 04:21 PM
what part of TN are you in? I'm close to Chattanooga.

TnMark
12-21-2002, 06:08 PM
I'm near Nashville but I'm willing to drive at least 3 hours to buy my first group. Any suggestions as to where I should go to get the best selection of colors?

12-21-2002, 07:54 PM
I know Cary of Great Lakes Discus has a huge number of fry growing up right now that will be ready to ship just after the new year. You should seriously consider using him - you won't be dissapointed.

Brad

12-21-2002, 11:05 PM
Cary will put a SMILE :) on your face.

Miles

12-21-2002, 11:50 PM
It's not only the quality, but also the customer service. I talk to him all the time on the phone with problems i have. He also stands behind is fish, so if they die, you aren't out all your money.

Chris-C
12-23-2002, 05:37 PM
I recently bought fish from Cary, I'd recommend him. Fish arrived warm and toasty and were all eating the same day. Its been two months now and they are doing reallly well. Plus he is always there to give you advice with stuff

Chris
;D ;D ;D