PDA

View Full Version : Medication dosage for juv.

h317
12-22-2002, 01:42 AM
Two of my six juv discus are have not eaten for a few days now. What should I do? If I go with salt and medication, should the dosage be the same as that for adults? Please help. Thanks.

Carol_Roberts
12-22-2002, 03:16 AM
Dosage is the same.

First line of defense is always extra water changes, make sure tank and filters are clean.

Why do you think they stopped eating? Adults may eat less when they are breeding. Juveniles will eat every few hours unless there is a problelm.
CArol :heart1:

h317
12-23-2002, 12:50 AM
I change water 50% every other day and clean the sponge filter every week (I have another AC 150 hanging at the back of the tank so I believe I have enought filtration). Is the WC adequate?

All six discus are juveniles. I usually stay and watch when they eat. Those two will stay at a corner of the tank (20G) while the other four scooping all the food (frozen bloodworm and live blackworm).

I have put those two in hospital tank today with temp of 31C and 500 mg of Metro (will change 30% water and repeat the treatment for 2 more times in the next 3 days). Please let me know if I am doing it correctly.

Thanks.

Carol_Roberts
12-23-2002, 01:32 AM
That treatment usually works for me in mild cases of Hex. Have you seen any white stringy feces? How big are the discus in the 20 gallon? Maybe getting crowded? Maybe bigger fish harassing little fish?
Carol :heart1:

h317
12-23-2002, 10:00 AM
The treatment is not over yet (2 more to go) so I will let you know how it goes.

All juveniles are from 1 to 1 1/2 inch. I don't observe any bullying among them. Of the two that have eating problems, one is the runt and the other is actually the biggest of the six. Do you think it is overcrowed for a 20G?

The positive sign is that the runt started to pick at some food in the hospital tank last night (about 6 hours after the move). The other one does not hide that much.

Will update you on the progress. Thanks for your help.

Carol_Roberts
12-23-2002, 09:10 PM
Six 1 to 1 1/2 inch fish are not over crowded in a 20 gallon tank. That is a good size for right now.

You don't have gravel, etc. in the 20 gallon do you? Your babies will stay healthier in a bare bottom tank. Beefheart and other meaty foods hide in the gravel and raise bacteria levels.

Your discus eating is a good sign. Keep the heat up for another week - until they are eating good, thn slowly lower a couple of degrees per day.
Carol :heart1: