PDA

View Full Version : Fry behavior after 2-3days free swimming

Wolf
12-23-2002, 02:22 PM
Do the parents put the fry off to the corner of the tank every once in a while? I have noticed that not all the fry are feeding off the back of the parents all the time. I saw all 30 attached this morning but then I just got finished looking in the tank and only about 10 are on the backs of the parents. The other fry are concentrated in two corners of the tank. Should I scoop them up with a dropper and put them back near their parents or is this normal? I know they have to feed a lot when they are fry and I'm worried about them getting away from the parents and not finding them in time to feed. They are in a 30g tank.

Edit: Apparently this is a stupid question judging at the views with no reponses so I'll just let them go naturally and see what happens.

fcdiscus
12-24-2002, 04:50 PM
Not a stupid question at all Wolf. Usually, those fry are doomed. Probably a bacterial problem in the tank. JMO! frank

Dennis_Hardenburge
12-24-2002, 09:42 PM
Wolf
Are you using the hood light on the aquarium if so turn it off, to much light can disorintate the fry.
Dennis

Trapper
12-25-2002, 09:47 AM
Wolf,
I was wondering how your fry were doing today??? When mine are free swimming and not hungry, they will go to the top or congregate in corners. I have not found it to be a distraction to there constant hunt for food. I agree with other, shut the light if you are using one and add an indirect light several feet away from the tank with a low wattage bulb for illumination. Also if you have a large sponge filter in the tank, switch to a small square one that lays flat.. My fry used to be attracted to the large filters because they are dark and non moving...Now the parents are the darkest things in the tank and easy to find.
Good luck with your fry,
Trapper

OEG
12-25-2002, 05:33 PM
Wolf
it could also be gill flukes that are making them huddle away from the parents, Maybe some formalin or acriflavin would be ur cure for this if that is the problem and it wont hurt the babies or the parents. If its bacterial then thats a problem but i hope that this will help and hopefully they will be fine. Let us know how they are doing.
Oscar

Wolf
12-25-2002, 09:49 PM
They are doing fine. Thanks for the advice guys. I tried turning off the lights and leaving a lamp by them but this even made them scatter more and they headed straight for the sponge filter. So I turned the light back on and let them go. I think Trapper best described what was going on. I was watching them after my first post and the male would go over and hit the top of the water like a bass sucking in a top water lure. This would then cause the fry to be pushed by the current along side his body and he would swim down with them to the middle of the tank. I can sit and watch these fry for hours :o. After I got back from my Dad's house today, all the fish had attached and were feeding off the parents. I have at least 20-30 fry and they look to be getting bigger by the day. I'm hoping to have them feeding off bbs by New years. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but it looks like they might actually make it if I can keep myself from butting in too much.

Merry Christmas

John