PDA

View Full Version : 30 Fry and They are Spawning Again?

Wolf
12-27-2002, 03:29 AM
I have a pair with one week old fry. I pulled the cone so they wouldn't spawn again but they just spawned on the sponge filter anyway. Should I pull the eggs and continue to let them raise the fry or should I just wait it out and see if they start eating the fry they have now. I tried to feed the fry bbs and crushed tetra bits today but they don't seem to be accepting it yet. What should I do now? I don't want to loose these 30 fry. I have a small 10g tank I could put the fry in but I would like to get them eating first. ???

Carol_Roberts
12-27-2002, 03:36 AM
Pull the eggs and one of the parents. See if the single parent will take care of the 30 fry. the fry should be eating bbs readily between 7 and 9 days free swimming.
Carol :heart1:

Wolf
12-27-2002, 03:47 AM
So do you think I should put the male and the fry in the ten gallon tank? Thanks Carol for the quick reply.

Carol_Roberts
12-27-2002, 03:52 AM
I think you should leave the best parent (male?) with the fry in the tank they are in now. Move the other adult to the 10 gallon and rinse the eggs down the drain. It's not like these guys won't spawn again next week if the fry are eaten.

Wolf
12-27-2002, 03:57 AM
Ok thanks Carol. Your right. I just am impatient and don't want to wait two weeks to reach this stage again. I want to see what they will look like bad ;D. I was thinking about removing the female to my 60g communtiy tank since she has been trying to entice him for a few days now. I guess I should have done it sooner.

Carol_Roberts
12-27-2002, 04:05 AM
I know, it's hard when the fish won't co-operate!

Unless you are home all day they will grow better if they have a parent + bbs for another week or two. At 2 weeks free swimming they will eat cbw too.

12-27-2002, 05:48 PM
Would leaving all the fish there and letting things unfold naturally not create better parents down the road? Seems to me like they'd learn about what is going on after a while, as they are intelligent for fish. If you are dying to get some fry, you could pull him but I'd give it a bit more time.

Brad

john2666
11-21-2013, 04:48 PM
I know this is an old post, just hoping someone is still watching it. Is it normal that they would eat the free swimming fry at this stage. I have a pair that have about 40 young and they have just spawned on the glass. Should I remove the free swimming ones, they have been free swimming for 8 days

chaoslite
11-21-2013, 05:30 PM
They say males will not cover eggs when they have a spawn on their back, but I have seen one doing it so that is incorrect. If you want the fry remove the eggs.

Mishka

LizStreithorst
11-21-2013, 07:30 PM
I'd let nature take it's course and let the parents decide which batch they prefer to raise.

John_Nicholson
11-21-2013, 09:15 PM
I would pull the fry. You can raise them and let the parents raise the new spawn.

-john

sheaspina
11-21-2013, 10:25 PM
I'd throw in my hat with John here. I usually prefer to leave them together for a couple of weeks, but I'm sure you can get away with it easy enough at one. They're only going to get eaten otherwise anyway so you may as well move them now.

fishaddict
11-29-2013, 12:33 AM
I would pull the fry too. I had the very same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. The parents were fanning the wrigglers and caring for the fry simultaneously, but when the wrigglers became free swimmers the older fry was actually trying and in some cases successful at eating and killing the free swimmers.