PDA

View Full Version : How Many is TOO Many??

lkleung007
12-27-2002, 05:00 PM
Hey Gang;

I know there can never be too many Discus...but I have a dilemma about tank space (don't we all??). I am curious to get some input about how many Discus (near adults) would fit comfortably in a 75 gallon tank. I plan on continuing with my usually 40-50% WC daily to keep the tank spotless.

Thanks for any input!!

Hope everybody is having a great Holiday Season!! ;)

Regards, Lester

April
12-27-2002, 05:18 PM
I myself wouldnt push it beyond 8. as they will be adults very soon. they need their personal space.
why dont you just go get yourself another tank.... ;D

lkleung007
12-27-2002, 05:21 PM
Hey April;

Easier said than done....it's a bid hard to sneak another tank into the house without my wife knowing?! ;)

Regards, Lester

RAWesolowski
12-27-2002, 05:25 PM
Assume 6 inches of discus (1 adult) equal 10 gallons of water.

12-27-2002, 05:37 PM
I think you could reasonably do 9 adults if you will keep on top of water changes. I think you could even go as high as 10 or 11 with big waterchanges daily. It is my opinion that people often stress 10 gallons per adult too much. 7 gallons per adults sounds reasonable to me.

RandalB
12-27-2002, 05:42 PM
Getting the tank past the wife. Hmmm I'm an expert at this. :idea2:

Wait until she's not home and say you:

Are keeping it for a friend

Won it in a contest

Found it at the curb on Garbage day

Bought it from a little old lady who was getting evicted and needed the money to keep from becoming homeless

What tank?

Oh! That Tank, I had it in the garage/storage/basement, etc for a while now. I've been meaning to set it up.

Oh, I needed that tank so I can make money raising fish so I can buy you: New Car/Diamond tennis bracelet/Weekend away, etc <----Use this one if she goes nuts on you

You can also try for cute points:

It followed me home. can I keep it?

I found this tank full of Discus at the animal shelter and they were going to put them to sleep.

LOL ;D

Hope this helps,
RandalB

RAWesolowski
12-27-2002, 05:44 PM
Brad,

You must be a lot like me... it's a skinny fish so I can go 1" to the gallon or as many as I can feed!

lkleung007
12-27-2002, 05:51 PM
Hey Gang;

Thanks for all the responses!!

Brad: I have 9 right now in a 75 gallon; the size range from 7 inches down to 4.5 inches. I got them as juveniles back in April. It is interesting to see that even though there is more room to roam (started with a 47 gallon bow front); the Discus tend to stay together more as a group.

Randal: Interesting thoughts; I may have to go "the weekend away" excuse first!!

Regards, Lester

12-27-2002, 06:35 PM
Lester,
8-9 max. and you will have to up the amount of w/c's, to 75%.

HTH
Miles

Carol_Roberts
12-27-2002, 08:44 PM
I think adults are happier as pairs in 29 gallon tanks.
Carol :heart1:

lkleung007
12-27-2002, 08:52 PM
Hi Carol;

Interesting input; I have one pair so far!! The Red Doll has paired off with a large PB. They have spawned probably 6 times now in the last 8 weeks but none of which have been successful. I really was not looking for them to breed but I guess nature has other plans. I have not yet separated the pair but don't really want to at this time...don't know if that is the wrong thing to do???

Regards, Lester

brewmaster15
12-27-2002, 10:32 PM
Hi Lester,
I shoot for 7 in a 75 gallon, though you can go as high as 9-10 if you maintain that tank real well and do lots of water changes. It seems when ever I go above 7 I wind up dealing with a problem. besides that I like to see them have some room to swim.

don't know if that is the wrong thing to do???
won' t hurt them a bit!

take care,
al

RichieE
12-30-2002, 12:33 PM
RandalB, Thanks for the reasons for tanks 5,6 and 7 ;D. I was just thinking of saying "I'm getting another tank how many pairs of shoes is it gonna cost me?" Rich

John_Nicholson
12-30-2002, 05:11 PM
Lester as long as you are willing to keep the water clean you could keep a lot more then 1 per 10 gallon of water. I currently have 12 in a 75 and would not hesitate to go as high 16.

-john

JeffreyRichard
12-30-2002, 05:29 PM
I raised 35 fish to adults in a 70 gallon, doing 90% w/c daily. The biggest fish were 7 inch males ... fantastic breeders. These fish were spawning at 11 months.

I think Al has one of the males ... may be mistaken.

The key is keeping the water clean ... obviously massive water changes are required when doing this in closed quarters.

While 60% of the fish were high quality, there were probably more runts in this batch then I'd like to have ... IMO influenced by the tight quarters.

My point ... while I'm sure there is a bottom limit on size vs number, you can raise a lot more fish in a tank than is typically stated as a maximum, as long as the water stays clean.

Jeff

fcdiscus
12-30-2002, 06:04 PM
I have to agree with John N. I think Discus are happier in crowded conditions, unless they are Breeders. But like everyone said, you must keep the water clean! JMO- Frank

roger
12-30-2002, 06:14 PM
Heres my thought on this ..

Only put in as many fish as your filtration can easily handle if you cant do water changes. IE a vacation away from the house..

I think the 7" fish to 10 gallons gives you a bit of breathing room so you can take that vacation.

Peace,
Roger

John_Nicholson
12-30-2002, 06:45 PM
Before you go on vacation you should stop feeding your fish and do a couple of large water changes then you don't have to worry about the filtration as much.

-john

12-30-2002, 08:12 PM
Bringing up the vacation factor.... How does everyone do it and for how long. We were discussing this last night, here at home, trying to decide the best wat to go about this.

Say we wanted to be gone for a week?

Do you try to find a professional sitter?

Leave detail instructions on each tank?

Feed with Automatic feeders?

Or like John said stop feeding them a couple of days prior to leaving and just don't feed while gone?

I am/would be very leery of anyone that did not have the *fishy sense* dealing with feedings.

But I have also thought about pre packing the feedings labeling everything etc... have a checklist posted on each tank. ie-air flow/temp reading/cloudy or clear water/spots on fish/all fish eat? The normal stuff we all look for each and everytime we pass a tank.

Maybe I should have started a new thread with all the questions ???

cgrim10
12-31-2002, 11:52 AM
http://images.snapfish.com/3364578%3B23232%7Ffp69%3Dot%3E2327%3D%3A48%3D3%3B7 %3Dxroqdf%3E2323362%3B37358ot1lsi
this is one of a 65 gal community with 12 in it currently. there seems to be plenty of room when they need to scatter out. and the water is very clean, but the tank could use some attention. they think i am going to feed them. cg