11. faded colorNO
12. other unusual changes... NO

Water parameters
1. pH? 6.8
2. Temperature… 86f
3. hardness? 3KH
4. conductivity? 250 MICROs
5. TDS?
6. R/O (reverse osmosis) filtered, or Tap (well or chlorinated city water), rain water WELL
7. Water change regime? ( example .. 30 % daily, weekly monthly etc) 30% DAILY
8. appearance (cloudy, green , clear, yellowish etc) CLEAR
9. Odor (smells clean or sulfur-lit match smell-anaerobic indicator) CLEAN

Tank parameters
1. Size in gallons/liters? 40 GALLON
2. Substrate.? (bare glass, gravel, sand..) BARE
3. Planted? NO
4. Drift wood? NO

Filter types
1 Wet/dry?
2. Canister?
3. hanging box( aquaclear whisper etc)?
4. sponges? YES
5. supplimental Peat filter?
6. supplimental air?
7. Carbon, resin exchanges, ammo-chips etc

General….
1. Diet(what and how often do you feed you fish? SEE BELOW
2. Other tank occupants than discus? NO
3. How many Discus in your tank? 6
4. How long have you had them? 2 WEEKS
5. Where did you get them (breeder/ Local Fish Shop -LFS) BELOW
7. Medications/ salt treatments recently used or tried to treat this problem? SALT (1 tsp/5 gal) raised temp to 90f

I bought two batches of discus the last couple weeks (my first.) First I went to a highly respected breeder and bought three 4 inchers (brown, red turq, snake.) These fish wouldn't eat finally I called the breeder and said they must be fed "Haikari Frozen Bloodworms" which they did eat but not aggressivley. Then I went to "that pet place" and I bought three 2" discus thinking a smaller fish would adapt better. These fish are just as finicky they will only eat Haikari bloodworms! I have tried mysis, brine, misquito larvae, frozen beefheart, and also a frozen beefheart recipe that I ground. Today I brought home some live blackworms and all the discus love them.

My delima is I dont want a $80/month feed bill for these discus. I was planning on a beefheart staple but they wont touch it. They wont even touch the SF bay bloodworms only the Hakari which cost twice as much. I tried not feeding them for 3 days but didn't help. Any ideas?

12-27-2002, 08:27 PM
Crank the temp up to 90-92 degrees over the next few days. Add non-iodized salt at 2 tbs./10 gallons. Keep feeding them the bloodworms they want until they come up to the top to beg for food each time you come near the tank. At that point, discontinue feeding for 2 days, then give them only the food that YOU want them to eat. Give them very little at first. Once they begin to nibble on it, add a little more. It's a match of wills, and you must win or else you will pay $80 a month. Good luck!

Brad

12-29-2002, 02:56 AM
Brad

:-X :-X :-X :-X

Miles

Carol_Roberts
12-29-2002, 04:55 AM
Feed them whatever they will eat for the first two weeks. When you are sure they are settled in and healthy start offering one new food you want them to eat in small quantities in the morning. When they are eating that start a second food.

I feed Tetra bits, Ocean Nutrition Formula One Flake and lots of California Black Worms. These keep the tanks clean and the fish grow and breed like crazy.
Carol :heart1:

12-29-2002, 04:04 PM
What's the deal Miles? There's really no other way to do it. That's what Cary and other breeders have told me to do.

regal
12-30-2002, 03:33 PM
BradNC, your techique worked wonders thanks

12-30-2002, 11:04 PM
I'm glad to hear it! So are they now coming to the top of the tank begging for food every time you come near the tank??? Will they eat anything you throw at them??? Post some pics when you get a chance too!

Brad

jeep
12-30-2002, 11:07 PM
great idea Brad.

regal
01-01-2003, 08:53 AM
Yes the swim up to the top like mad pirahnas ans take whatever I give them now. There is just one that spits his food out if its not a blackworm he eats very little, but the other 5 are doing great.

Thankyou

01-01-2003, 01:08 PM
Miles :P :P :P

01-01-2003, 02:19 PM
BradNC,
I was thinking of something else.
Sorry DUDE.

Miles

01-01-2003, 02:47 PM
Miles ;D ;D ;D

01-01-2003, 09:36 PM
It's Straight Miles. What was your idea?