PDA

View Full Version : Favourite discus strains

caspias
12-28-2002, 03:00 AM
Hi all discus lovers...........

Just curious, what strains of discus do you like most??? :)

Top 3 of my fave : (at least from the picture from the internet ;D )

1. Leopard Snakeskin
2. Red white
3. Blue Diamond

What about you ??? :)

12-28-2002, 03:02 AM
Leopard Snakeskins aren't a strain, are they? I don't think they breed true leopard snakeskin offspring and therefore couldn't be considered a strain. I really like some of the red fish, and definately the blues too.

12-28-2002, 03:02 PM
If the ability to breed true defines what is a "strain" then most Discus types are not strains. I like most of my Discus, Red Spotted Diamonds, Wild Red Santarems, SRRBs, Canary Yellows, Golden Pigeon S/S, (all snakeskins for that matter), clean Pigeons, Alenquers, Red Melons, Tangerines... On the whole I like any large, healthy, clean, round, thick Discus that eats heartily. Especially if it's a fertile male that doesn't eat eggs and fertilizes huge batches of eggs.

Dave

12-28-2002, 06:59 PM
Hey Dave,
Wattley is where I found out about the definition of a strain. It does make sense to me. However, many crosses are beatiful fish, I just don't think they'd create that same pattern in their offspring.

Tyler
12-28-2002, 08:40 PM
I started out liking the most exotic and new strains out there. I realize now that the basics are best. Like Dave said anything big and round is good to me..... but if i had to choose i would say some Blue Diamonds or just some wilds. Back to the basics :) .

Tyler

Chris-C
12-28-2002, 10:06 PM
My favorites are the reds and golds. Healthy and round ofcourse :D :D :D

April
12-28-2002, 10:44 PM
my favourites are the red and brown base fish. love my manacapura x alencers and love my santarem x alencers from mike. ...and the sans are nice..love the blue snakeskin..and of course goldens. and wilds...and the rt and blue turq family. ok so thats alot of fish. ;D

redlines
12-28-2002, 11:44 PM
Reds. Blues.

All Big & Round.

beta
12-28-2002, 11:48 PM
Heckels of course!

OEG
12-28-2002, 11:53 PM
Hey Dave,
I like that list but mine would read as follows.

1.snakeskins
2.snakeskins
3.snakeskins

ohh yea I forgot snakeskins big round and fat. :o

12-29-2002, 01:10 AM
Oh I LOVE dicsus with that prominant 5th bar...I want some Heckel crosses SOOOO bad

mas
12-29-2002, 01:13 AM
tefe greens. i have a couple of babies and happened to see an older one in an lfs display tank the other day.. it was great!

white ghosts and good looking browns can be pretty spectacular as well.

greens, browns and whites definitely for me.

.marcus

Carol_Roberts
12-29-2002, 03:34 AM
Pigeon bloods with bright red eyes and very little peppering.
Carol :heart1:

arpanlib
12-29-2002, 07:01 AM
hi,
i love the
red malboros
yellow face maboros
spotted leopards
san merahs
snake skins
blue diamonds
pandas
etc etc :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

arpanlib

Pick
12-29-2002, 09:55 AM
Red Turquoise

I love a lot of the others, especially SS's, LSS's, and many are prettier to look at too, but RT's are my fave. Just like my first glimpse of the orion nebula through a pair of binoculars hooked me forever on the night sky, the first discus photo I saw was a red turk and I waited years to get some - It was SOOO worth the wait!

TC

12-29-2002, 03:07 PM
That's the first time I've heard someone say a white ghost was their favorite. I've never actually seen one in person.

caspias
12-30-2002, 12:38 PM
btw...................anyone knows where does the RedWhite comes from??? What to be cross to produce RedWhite ???
It is a very beautifull discus to me.Nice color combination. Verrrrrryyyyy niceeeeeeeeee ;D

12-30-2002, 03:06 PM
Red White is not a strain I am familiar with. It may not be a strain at all, but rather a cross. Do you have a pic? Breeders name fish whatever they feel like and it causes much confusion.

ChloroPhil
12-30-2002, 04:42 PM
Anything caught in the wild. I'd kill for a six pack of nice red Alenquers though.

Ivan
12-30-2002, 07:20 PM
Favourite fish. apart from my own!
Heckel.
Blue face heckel
Alenquer
Coari red
Tefe green
Manacapuru blue
and most ss not none of them horrid pbs tho'
I have two fish from a pb strain. I wont get anymore!

Ryan
12-30-2002, 07:41 PM
I have so many favorite varieties (for the sake of argument over 'strain' versus 'cross', I just call them varieties)...

First and foremost are the heckels and heckel crosses. There's something about that dark 5th bar that I love. As many of you know, the heckel crosses I got from H&H are my babies. Not only because of the bar, but because they display such nice even striation and such tall, round fins and body.

Second has to be the white pigeons. Clean white pigeons. Anyone who's talked to me in the last year knows that I am in love with Cary's Dreamsicles (pigeon-based white diamond x solid tangerine) and also the White Butterflies from people like Samson at Universal. These are my next dream fish.

I am also a big fan of solid fish. Even plain wild browns are beautiful to me (have you seen Jeff Doty's breeding pair? Gorgeous fish!). Let's not forget Mike's San Merahs and Wayne's Red Covers.

I am not too picky though. As long as it's not spotted (snakes are nice, but I don't like leopards or anything with the name 'eruption' in it, lol) and it's healthy I'll take it off your hands. :)

Ryan

PS - I know, I know, the heckel crosses are skinny... I gotta deworm.

TheDiscusKid
12-30-2002, 09:03 PM
I like Leopard snakes especially Mike's Anacondas and any white discus, white pigeons, snowflakes, or white butterflies.

bmrin1
12-30-2002, 09:27 PM
In my little corner of heaven would be a school of the biggest red turquoise that ever existed.
Brian

Dennis_Hardenburge
12-31-2002, 12:10 AM
My favorite tends to vary, it is usually the fish I have at the moment.
Dennis

12-31-2002, 12:20 AM
Good question:
1. Red Covers
2. San Merahs
3. Solman Diamond
4. Alenquer

Love those RED Fish!!!

Miles :)

12-31-2002, 12:23 AM
Round as plates, big, thick and actively raising baby discus. The color is secondary as long as its not peppered.

jmiller
12-31-2002, 09:43 AM
I like blue diamonds and red turquoise. But all discus look nice when they have a round shape!

Aquatic_Design
12-31-2002, 10:04 AM
My favorites:
Anything wild
Anything red

Donna ;D

caspias
01-01-2003, 12:48 PM
Here's the redwhite i'm talking about. I got this pic from the net.
What does white butterfly look like? Any pics??

caspias
01-01-2003, 12:50 PM
Whoopsss...
Here it is...