PDA

View Full Version : Is something wrong with my discus babies ?

ping
12-28-2002, 01:06 PM
Hi,

I have 45 babies. Some of them (around 5-10) refuse to eat and they are really skinny (and big head). 1 will gone to heaven soon.

I moved them out from the parents when they were 3 weeks old. I put them in a small tank for 1 or 1.5 weeks. 3 days ago, i moved them again into bigger tank. The water has been there for 4 days circulated with air pump. Are the babies sick or just losing appetite to eat ?

How to increase their appetite to eat ? Should i increase the temperature, or add salt ?
I feed them with Tetra Micro, Tetra Micropan, Microworms, crunched Tetra Spirulina Flakes, crunched Tetra ColorBits, and frozen baby brine shrimp.

Thanks.
Ronny

Carol_Roberts
12-28-2002, 06:28 PM
Have you checked ammonia levels in the new tank - was filter fully cycled?

Any scrathing on objects?

How big is tank now, how much water do you change daily?

Were all babies healthy and now getting sick one at a time or wre these always small?

Carol :heart1:

Discusgeo
12-28-2002, 09:00 PM
First off I would say you moved them too many times and they are stressed out. Second you don't say if you have a cycled sponge filter in there present tank. If you don't you better do a water change and follow Carols advice. Third I think you are feeding them too many different foods. I would stick to three. I feed in the morning Live Baby Brine Shrimp even though they are 4 weeks old. In the afternoon they get Frozen Bloodworms, and in between earthworm flake food. Until they get to be at least quarter size is when I start mixing in Frozen Beefheart.
George

12-29-2002, 02:50 AM
Ronny,
You are moving them way to much. They need clean water. 100-150% daily. If you are doing w/c's at that volume it does not matter if the tank is cycled or not! It will cycle in time. Go to a brand of food they will eat. and stick with it. I they have been eating all the ones you have mentioned then cut them down to 3 different.

Miles

ping
12-29-2002, 03:41 AM
Hi Carol, George, Miles

Thanks for your help.

I did 70% water changes yesterday. 3 babies died this morning (2 big and 1 small). Around 6 babies seem to be really week, swimming at the top of the tank. They were looking great in the previous tank and the tank is really small.

I have not check my ammonia level in the tank. I use 2 sponge filters (one new and one has been fully cycled). There is no scratching object. I have plants in a small pot.
The size of the new tank is 60cmx45cmx35cm. I do 50% water changes every 2 days.
The babies were all healty in previous tank. Those sick one are medium and small babies.

I should not move them out ... :'( ..
I will reduce the type of the food and do 50% daily water changes.

The parents laid the eggs again yesterday. :)

Regards,
Ronny

ping
12-29-2002, 01:45 PM
Hi,

I suspect that the babies get gill flukes. Some of them are swimming at the top. It seems that it is really hard for the babies to breath.

Is this gill flukes ?
I have Wardley's medicine for gill flukes, will that be useful ?

Thanks.

Carol_Roberts
12-29-2002, 02:17 PM
If the Wardley product contains formalin it will work.

ping
12-29-2002, 07:01 PM
Hi Carol,
Thanks for you help.

It does not say that it contains formalin.
It's wardley's para-ex aquarium tablets.
each tablet contains 20mg TRICHLORPHON (An Anticholinesterase compound).

The babies are getting really bad. More than half seem to be weak. :'(

Should i move them back to the old tank ?
The water is still there.
OR should i move them to another tank with babies from 1st spawn (and move the 1st spawn babies out somewhere) ? Those 1st spawn babies are 1.5".

Regards,
Ronny

Carol_Roberts
12-29-2002, 07:28 PM
I wouldn't keep moving the babies. The flukes move with them. I'd be doing twice daily water changes with water that matches the tank water. I have never used that medication. It sounds like you are desperate - so try it and see. Follow directions on box.

kokebon
12-30-2002, 09:05 PM
Hey Ronny

I was wondering how your fries are doing? lol....reading from your post really scared me cuz I just had my 100+ fry removed from the parents. I am trying to be careful with this batch and hope I won't lose none. did you use any medicine to treat the fry?

kokebon

ping
12-31-2002, 04:57 PM
Hi Carol and Kokebon,

Happy New Year....

2/3 of the babies are getting better. They are swimming actively and eating lots of food. 6 died so far. Probably, 8 wont make it as well. It's a lesson for me not too move them too much.

Will it be a good idea to move the parents out to another breeding tank and keep the babies in the breeding tank ?

I cant get formalin here. So i just use wardley's para-ex aquarium tablets. The description says that it cures gill flukes as well. I am not sure whether what is wrong with the babies. But the description that i found similar to gill flukes.
I do 50% daily water changes and adding salts everytime i do water changes.
Well, i dont know anything about it. Just trying my luck.
My pair only spawn twice. My pair is snakeskinxmalboro red with malbore red (really mess up). In the first spawn, i have all malboro red. Now, i have around 15 snakeskins (just guessing, they are still too small to predict).

My friend (Coetz) got the same problem. He is away for holiday. I will ask him later when he gets back.
I will keep you update.

Thanks,
Ronny

ping
01-05-2003, 09:58 PM
Arghhhh .... 30 babies died ..... :'( :'( :'( :'(

Only 15 survive ... gotta be more careful next time ...

Good news is that my pair spawn again ... :)