PDA

View Full Version : Filter for 120 gal tank?

roger
12-30-2002, 10:49 AM
Hello All

Im going to be picking up a 120 gallon tank later today and I was hoping to get a feel for what type of filter to put into it. If I buy everything together they are offering me a wet/dry filter with pump which adds about 200 to the price of the tank.

I know that canister filters for this thing will run about 200 and I expect that large AQ externals would be about the same. I will be adding a few sponge filters to this as well, but I wont be relying on them.

Peace,
Roger

Tyler
12-30-2002, 01:44 PM
I would just use 4 or 5 hydro sponge filters. They are cheap, and easy to setup and use. IMO a $200 filter add on price is just too much.....when there are so many other less expensive ways of going about it.

Tyler

mutfish
12-30-2002, 02:40 PM
IMO an extra 200 a wet/dry filter with pump properly sized for a 120 tank would be a deal...that's the way I would go 8)

paul_burney
12-30-2002, 02:47 PM
Rojer
I would just put on 2 AC 500's and 3 Hydro Spoonges maybe some would call it overkill but i dont ;D the AC can be had online for about $34 on Fosters and Smith (petwharehouse) and the hydro can be had from Jehmco for i think $6.50 for the #4's alot cheaper than those Cannister filters. and the wet dry. JMO
Paul Burney

roger
12-30-2002, 03:35 PM
As badly as I want a wet/dry filter system I think that can wait. Im going to start with a couple of sponge filters and once I really start loading it with fish then Ill go for a wet/dry. Ill spend the 200$ on getting an RO filter system, a couple of heaters and whatever is left over becomes fish money :)

I really like silence, which is why I like the canister filters and why Im trying to avoid a bunch of air based ones as well. The occasional slosh of fish in the tank is acceptable :)

Thanks for the input guys.

Peace,
Roger

Tyler
12-30-2002, 04:43 PM
How could you not love that wonderfull "hum" that comes from a room full of tanks??? :)
I have a question though. I always see people saying "well, some people may call this overkill but....." and most of the time, i do say....well that is overkill. I have heard people say that overkill is usually better. I don't understand why though. All i use filters for is biological filtration, as my daily w/cs take out all the junk. So my question is.....Why so much filtration?

Tyler

p.s. Roger, i don't mean to take over your thread or anything, i just had this question for a while........

roger
12-30-2002, 05:59 PM
Hello Tyler,

I think most people are taking into account that they are getting rid of most of the chunky stuff during water changes. The philosophy that I am working with is can I take a week off without water changes and still have the fish survive.

Strictly speaking, I would think that if I was doing daily water changes of 50-100% I dont think I would need a filter at all. Since I dont and cant then that is as good as it gets.

The hum of tanks dont bother me, its the gurgle that kills me :)

BTW the tank just arrived and now its time to start to slide it around to find space for it. I really do have plenty of space but the right space is what Im looking for. Tomorrow is calling for a trip to Home Depot to find some blue paint and a roller.

Peace,
Roger

Ryan
12-30-2002, 09:20 PM
There's a lot to be said for AquaClears. I used to just keep sponges in my tanks, but I recently dug my old ACs out of the garage and fired them up. I see a lot less of the finer particles/debris. I keep pre-filters on them which cut down on my filter maintenance. Now I only have to rinse the AC every month or two. They barely have anything in them when I tear them down, it's nice. I just rinse and re-add.

I keep the water level high enough in my tank so that you don't hear the "waterfall" noise caused by most power filters. Just a slight "pouring" sound if you walk close enough to the tank. The fish seem to enjoy the extra movement. Though I keep them on a lower setting, so that the fish aren't being blown around the tank. No need to make them suffer through a tsunami :)

Ryan

NickK
12-30-2002, 09:47 PM
Here is a question similar to the one above.

If I take out all of the junk with daily water changes, won't that starve the bacteria colony? And then if I go on vacation, the bacteria colony isn't big enough to take care of business.

What do you think?

Nick

roger
12-30-2002, 09:51 PM
Hey Nick,

IMO I dont think your fish will stop pooping just because your on vacation. Of course that depends on how long your vacation is :)

Would it make sense that as the waste output drops so does the bacteria population. Which would mean that when you come back light feeding would be a wise thing?

Peace,
Roger

Carol_Roberts
12-30-2002, 10:26 PM
I vote for a combination of aqua clear 500's and sponge filters.

Vacation Time: Do a large water chang about 3 hours after last feeding. Turn off lights, Don't feed until you return. Filters will keep up with reduced ammonia output from no food/waste. Upon return do big water change and feed as normal.

Carol :heart1: