PDA

View Full Version : What is the average breeding age?

wo
12-30-2002, 03:16 PM
Hi,

From the reference book I read, some stated that the female mature at two and the male mature at the age of 2.5; the other mentioned the female are able to breed at the age of 0.8 and male at the age of 1.5. What is the average breeding age for male and female discus? I also heard that the breeding period last only two years for the female. Is that a true statement? Any body know the breeding period for the male? Are the breeding ability of male discus like the male humanbeings not bounded by age?

Kagan
12-30-2002, 04:34 PM
Hi there,

I have heard that the males are able when they are 14 months old and the females are able when they are 12 months old. Mine were 15 and 13 months old when I saw the first wrigglers.. Also the oldest pair I have heard was about 3.5-4 years old. HTH

Happy new year for all!!

Kagan

Rod
12-30-2002, 04:55 PM
Youngest i have had was 7months and 3weeks for male and female to produce fertile young, they were siblings that i had bred myself so i knew the exact age for sure. Normal is between 12 months and 18months. Both males and females slow down at about 5 to 6 years old in my experience, although the occasional spawn can still happen.

Discusgeo
12-30-2002, 06:40 PM
My Blue Diamonds waited until about 2 years of age. This is an estimate from the time Ray Kosaka owned them until I got them.

12-30-2002, 11:17 PM
Females can become fertile as young as 8 months. Males usually no earlier than 12 months, almost none before 10 months IME. Some males take over 2.5 years to become fertile, which is a result of the inbreeding used to produce that strain. Females from the same spawn almost always mature before males, just as it is with humans.

Brad

wo
12-31-2002, 12:03 PM
Hi,
Thanks for your reply Kagan,Rod, Discusgeo and BradNC.

From your reply, I can know you are all good breeders. I now have 14 discus (8 BDs, 4 RTs and 2 browns) and tell this with shame that I have only one pair-the browns and that pair is bought recently. I have never succeed in match making. They just eat and chase each other day by day.(1 red turk is bought in LFS. The remaining of the discus are raised by me from 2".) I heard many discus lovers in Taipei say that pair matching is hard but find the fertile male is even harder. 1/4 of the discus we raised are able and willing to breed and others are not. Is that true?

Happy New Year!!!!