PDA

View Full Version : Heart vs liver

Jarou
12-30-2002, 06:49 PM
Hello!
I've been using either turkey,horse and/or beefheart for feeding.
I was wondering if liver can also be used in home-made food?
And if not...Why?

ReeferKimberly
01-01-2003, 06:01 AM
hey i wanna know this one too. i juist made a batch of turkey liver and heart but i havn't fed it yet....

01-01-2003, 11:00 AM
Yes ....you can use liver. BUT!! Be VERY careful!! Its an EXTREMELY dirty food as far as fouling water quality. ANY uneaten food....or food that gets into the filter WILL spoil almost IMMEDIATELY!! Make sure the food is mixed with a good gel base.

As far as food that fouls water quality...liver ranks #1 IMO.

I personally wouldnt use it...there's to many other good foods to choose from.

Tony

01-01-2003, 01:53 PM
I agree with the Tone!

If you do use it strain it for Hours to help remove all the juice!
Not to Mention its better fryed hard with onions + ketchup :D

Cary Gld!

01-01-2003, 02:32 PM
Hmmm

I would prefer to see it dusted with flour, lightly fried and thrown in the crock pot with bacon, onions and beef broth to cook for the day. Serve with "skin on" mashed potatoes... And by all means no ketchup (No offense, Cary)

Sorry Jarou... :-\ on with your thread.

:) :)

01-01-2003, 05:48 PM
Well Hell that sounds TASTY TO!

But will still need the red stuff to kill the taste

G :D D

01-01-2003, 05:55 PM
Your kidding!!.....you guys wouldnt REALLY eat that stuff would you??? GIVE YOUR HEAD A SHAKE!! :puke:

Tony

01-01-2003, 06:46 PM
The Key.... is in the bacon.. really I no lie! They enhance one another. ;)

Sorry (again) Jarou......

:)

Francisco_Borrero
01-02-2003, 01:34 AM
I wouldn't use it for my fish, nor eat it myself.
The liver and the kidneys are the places of the body where all the nastiness is accumulated. In fact, even parasites encyst exclusively in mammalian liver tissue. Why choose it ???
JMO, Francisco.

01-06-2003, 02:26 PM
Jarou, I neither feed liver to my fish nor to myself. As Tony has iterated, it is very messy. It will carry a fair amount of iron in it which is not the best for your fish. That said, some Asians use chicken liver ---cooked for bringing out the blue color in discus. I still would not recommend it!

Julz, If you have to do a makeover to get the liver to be palateable---why not just go for the filet mignon? Color enhanced of course with a splash of Worchestershire.

Just trying to be helpful! Joe :-\

black_bullet
01-11-2003, 05:26 AM
Liver has to be one of my discuss' favorite foods, try some sea foods like oyster if you havent already they love that to ;D

Rick00
01-11-2003, 03:09 PM
Man, i wouldn't feed liver to my dog!! yuk ;D

01-11-2003, 11:44 PM
Hey Joe.....

Filet Mignon is also great wrapped in bacon, grilled and (oh yeah) marinated first in that oh so famous, Worcestershire sauce... Don't forget the mushrooms and onions.....

My mouth waterith....

:)

01-12-2003, 12:57 AM
Julz, I agree with the bacon-wrapped Filet mignon ;D--like Emeril would say--" let's kick it up a notch". Peppercorn marinade or a nice bournaise marinade. Then give me some real Sea Scallops *wrapped in bacon. 8) Then you need a big chug of dry red wine such as a Cabernet Savignon( to thin the blood ) because if this meal doesn't instantly put you in a massive culminary arrest due to a major artery blockage :-\ --nothing will! What the hell- :-\--Go for the quadruple bypass surgery with medical grade- green airline tubing. Have some more USDA Dead Cow with Ceasar salad--again with bacon( toss the Baco's ) If you are tempted to use Baco's--try Tetra Color Bits--no one will know the difference ;) ;)( Trust me ) If all else fails and you depart the fish room forever because of this guteral-- intestinal carnage we refer to as breakfast---then have your loved ones follow the preparatory treatments as described below to the letter! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

The large size color bits will make it easier on the Mortician at the Funeral Home. They will add a nice red color to your cheeks! :-[ No Julz, the cheeks on your face! No Embalming Fluid necessary, if you chase down the meal with 2500 mg. Formalin. :-X To make the eyes more presentable while in the horizontal, a 4 oz. bottle of methylene blue or malachite green is what I recommend--dependant on personal preference. Don't ask about Brown eyes!! :-[Discus Acid will lower the Ph of the skin, thereby helping the slime coat to achieve a nice sheen overall instead of the ghastly grey overtone. Last but not least--Tetracyclene is preferred to rid oneself of the unsightly nasal hair. These tips are meant to assist anyone in their final journey ( Swan Song ) to exercise good judgement at that unfortunate hour. You may also thinkof that " Special " person who may have touched your life. You meant to reciprocate for all the " warm fuzzies " bestowed upon you, but procrastinated! Give your loved one that final "Send off " for only $199.95 + $19.95 shipping and handling. This offer is not available in stores! The first ten callers will receive the " Don't she look so natural" CD free of charge. They'll love it when played with surround sound at the cemetery! This offer is for a limited time only and exclusively from Enchanted Enterprises. No salesman will call!

* Pass on the Bay Scallops ( the dime sized cheap imitations do not contain enough cholesteral to properly test ) derived from sea rays wings.

See ya in the Great Beyond, Joe Reaper 8)

01-12-2003, 01:23 AM
OMG... PIMP. http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/c0/rofl.gif (Ryan hurry get the mop) :P :P.

Joe... Your w/c's must be automated.... Too much time on your hands, dear? You're killin me. :)

The baco-sub trick I will have to try..... Couldn't figure what to do with them damn bits anyway. Thanks.. and shhh don't tell the hubby.... :-X

Nuh-Night for now...

The red cheeked (No Joe, the face again!) Julz http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/f0/shy.gif

Jarou
01-12-2003, 02:40 AM
If I understand correctly your answers to my question: All I have to do now is to filet my Discus,wrap them in bacon and eat them but without their liver... ???

01-12-2003, 02:59 AM
Jarou, Don't forget the Tartar Sauce and a splash of lemon!!! The Iron Chef strikes again! Joe ;)

01-12-2003, 01:51 PM
I'll Pass,
On the Red Meat Posts and ask that We keep this Fish related!

Joe + Julz
What side Do You Want? ;D And Should We use flour Or Beer batter? Also Hold the Bacos LMAOPIMP! :D

http://greatlakesdiscus.homestead.com/files/Siamese-Pike.jpg

RandalB
01-12-2003, 05:16 PM
Cary,
Too bad you can't breed those! LOL I'll bet the Flowerhorn people would pay big $$ for some of those fry..

LMAO

RandalB

PS: I'll take some off the left side, poached with lemon and melted butter on the side (Poor Man's lobster!)

01-13-2003, 01:33 AM
Dang only Cary can come up with a picture like that.

Miles

Rod
01-16-2003, 08:56 AM
Every time i make a new batch of beef heart based food i change the recipe, sometimes i include some beef liver to the mix normally around 10% with great results. It does tend to make the mix more LIQUID and perhaps is messier with the liver in, but my fish love it and i've never noticed any negative effects. With the water changes i do any mess is quickly countered.

Rod