PDA

View Full Version : what are these leisions

Liz_Streithorst
12-31-2002, 10:48 AM
I refinished the floor last weekend. I had the tanks covered but varnishy sawdust and later fumes were EVERYWHERE. Now this guy has these leisons on his side. Sorry about the photo quality but it was hard to get them to show up at all. They look like inflamed scales...kind of raised up. He's acting and eating normally. The other fish in this 125 planted are all fine. I do 50% water change daily though I had to miss 2 while the stain and later the varnish were drying. PH is 6.8, temp 84, gh3, kh6. I have an empty 29 gallon if I need to seperate him and treat him. what should I do?

Liz

KC
12-31-2002, 12:13 PM
When in doubt, isolate and treat with salt.

Good Luck!

Liz_Streithorst
12-31-2002, 04:24 PM
Well duh...Might help it I were to actually attach the photo, huh?

Liz

Ardan
12-31-2002, 06:45 PM
It is sometimes difficult to treat and keep pristine conditions necessary for treatment with gravel and plants in the tank.

A quarantine tank might be better. Bare. With a cycled filter if possible.

HIgh heat (for fungus and if any parasites) 90F

Salt, 5 tblsp/10 gal
antibiotic like furan 2, double dose the first dose then follow instructions as to dose and wc

Can also add Maroxy with the above meds.

hth
Ardan
this is my suggestion

Liz_Streithorst
12-31-2002, 08:04 PM
Thankyou Arden. I'll get him started this evening in a BB with heat and salt. The only med I have on hand is something called Aquari-sol which contains Zycosin and soluable copper salts. I could pick up something in the morning at the vet hosp where I work if you can think of a dog, cat horse or cow med that would work. Or I can just go with heat and salt until the 2nd when I can get to the lfs. This is the fisrt time I've ever had a fishy health problem. BTW, what ever happened to the :sun:?

Liz

Ardan
12-31-2002, 08:08 PM
High Liz,
If you only have salt , then go to 1 tblsp/10 gal.
I don't like to use anything with copper, too hard to remove and can be bad on fish and can't be used with too many other meds.

Just to much of a hurry to use the :sun:

;D

Ardan :sun:

Liz_Streithorst
01-01-2003, 12:04 PM
Arden, This morning my favorite fish in a 100 gallon planted on the other side of the room has this. Should I move her in with the blue guy? Her "dot" is different from what he has. I could also set her up in a 29 of her own if I move some Rosey Barb fry somewhere else. All I have left that's empty is a 10 gallon. It would be too small, huh? Or I could get another 29 tomorrow.

Liz

Ardan
01-01-2003, 12:19 PM
Hi Liz,
If you have another tank, it would be best to keep all separate IMO as the causes may be different. Treatment may be the same though.

Do you use the same wc equip? ie hoses etc. this could lead to spreading the disease to other tanks.

When doing wc, I would make sure to clean the gravel well and the filters (in used aquarium water) to try to get out any residual sanding dust from the floor project.

If the treatment you choose to use does not appear to help or you can not get the meds, you might consider using Melafix + salt. I used it for bacterial fin rot with great results (the antibiotics did not work)
I used it as follows. 5 tblsp salt / 10 gal + Melafix. Melafix 1st dose as per instructions, then only add back Melafix to replacement water on wc's. Temp 94F.
hth

Ardan :sun:

Liz_Streithorst
01-01-2003, 12:39 PM
My gosh Arden, you're on top of things! Do you have an alarm that goes off when someone asks a health question? I just called Walmart and they are open today! I'm off to buy another 29 gallon (oh ****...have to buy another tank ;) Bet they'll have some useful meds there as well. I'll be careful with the WC equipment and do a number on the filters. Thanks for the help!!

Liz

Liz_Streithorst
01-04-2003, 11:43 AM
Arden, the spot on the Melon was invisible by the time I got home from work last night. I gave her 1 more furan/salt treatment just to be sure and will put her back with her husband and buddies tonight. The Blue Knight is much better but still needs a few more days. Thanks again :-*

Liz