PDA

View Full Version : Best foods for parent raised Discus!

12-31-2002, 07:22 PM
Hi,
IME I find these foods to be the best when feeding parent raised fry with parents. ;D
IMO They are 0nf1 + 2 Live BLKworms
Live Brine, DecapBrine,

I have heard of people Shaveing onf1 and chopping live worms for fry. It is a good ideal if the fry are not fond of eating it or do not know it as a food source yet! But for My fry I use whole cubes and whole worms hee.hee.hee.

My advice when useing ONF1+2 is to feed it to your pairs when they carry fry!
This will help the fry take to it faster. However this goes with any food you feed to the pair But Imo some being better for fry
(EASY TO EAT)

BECAREFUL! onf1 and 2 are very dirty products that will deplete your water Quality fast! wipeing down the tank walls will be needed daily along with large W/Cs. onf1 + 2 is a gel base seafood liquid diet high in everything needed for good growth and color frozzen into a tiny cube. Baby discus fry will pound it! at 1 week after free swimmimg sometimes sooner if things are set right!

My point was LOL! dropping a full cube will be best allowing you many hours from feeding again. Imo its so fine I believe discus could be artificially raised off of it. Dropping in a whole cube will not foul your water as fast as you may think.
onf1 + 2 will stay in one piece srinking in size after hours and hours of feeding. However once the fry reach a size of 1" or bigger.
Its best not use it anymore because of the biteing and the spitting ways they pick up when eating. This will only foul the water quality faster and is really not needed anymore. beefheart and blood worms ETC.. can now be used.

IME I find live BLKworms the best! Only because of water quality
and because when baby discus at 1 week will take to them biteing little chunks off of them like they would do to there parents slime coat. Ofcourse its best that the parents are fed BLWorms during spawning and during raiseing this will help attract the fry faster and help your pair from becomming rawl and nasty even in some cases dyeing.. At times I would drop in balls that would last the whole day. leave and feed at 7am home at 5pm fry still fat and eating and good water quality to boot!

But still I allways added in treats of ONF1+2 shaved bloodworms,mikereeds nbb,live brine,beefheart,plankton flakes crushed and DecapBrine.

HTH the future Breeders!
Cary Gld

12-31-2002, 07:45 PM
Thanks Cary. What would your opinion be on grinding up ONF1 Flakes and feeding those to fry? Is that not very similar to the frozen stuff?

Brad

fcdiscus
12-31-2002, 09:21 PM
Good deal Cary! ;) Frank

Carol_Roberts
12-31-2002, 11:48 PM
In my opinion this is exactly the type of post that is so valuable to the members of SimplyDiscus.

A respected breeder had told us what he feeds his fry and why. He has warned us to watch our water quality with the frozen foods and he has posted a picture of quality discus he has raised with this method.

I like "how to" threads. I would like to encourage other respected breeders and long time hobbiests to post more of their tips and pictures of fish they have bred or own.

Carol :heart1:

goldengatediscus
01-01-2003, 12:14 AM
Thank you Cary for taking the time to share your feeding methods. Oftentimes, we run into people that do not want to share their "secrets", but you have been outstanding in the giving of your knowledge, so that we can all benefit. A big thank you to everyone that shares their useful information.
Brigitte

01-01-2003, 04:08 AM
Thank you Everyone!

I will do My best to put My negative power into more positive posts (My new years resolution) hee.hee.hee..

Brad, I think flakes are fineas long as You can keep up on water Quality. ;D

HTH You and Me Both!
Cary Gld!

Jason
01-01-2003, 09:46 AM
Cary,

I don't have much experience with cbw because I cant get them.

Do you think you would get the same results if you could get redworms in the same quantity and size?

Ardan
01-01-2003, 09:50 AM
Thanks Cary! :thumbsup:

Ardan :sun:

Lynn
01-01-2003, 12:42 PM
Thanks Cary!!! ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D

01-01-2003, 01:17 PM
Hi Jason,
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I think the red worms are bit to big! :( unless You puta fine chop to them :-*

Maybe it would be best for You to us the baby brine and ONF1+2 untill they get bigger. I just think the chopping of the worms will foul the water faster. you will need to try this and keep us posted!

TakeCare,
Cary Gld!

01-01-2003, 01:24 PM
Cary thanks so much for the info.
Very well put and easy to comprehend. Now with your advise I must go work on that fry tank. You made me suddenly realize why it is so cloudy.

Thanks and Happy New Year....

:)

01-01-2003, 01:46 PM
:-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Wolf
01-01-2003, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the great advice. I have been using the frozen ONF1 on my first batch of fry and they are tearing it up at 9 days. I'm doing water changes at 75% twice a day on them and they seem to be fine so far.

01-01-2003, 04:32 PM
Keep Up the good Work ;D

joyofdiscus
01-01-2003, 06:08 PM
hello cary,
just wondering, are those snowflakes are for sale. what a beautiful discus especially the snowflake on the right side.
hank

01-01-2003, 06:41 PM
Good write up Cary, I personally like Ocean nutrition special formula VHP over the on2. ;) ;)

Randy

peety
01-01-2003, 08:14 PM
Thanks all,
I appreciate the full name of product since I had no idea of what ON?? was.. :-[

I'm off to see if I can get some here ;D ;D

And thanks cary on the airstone in the syphon tube hint... will work something up today as well....

(I know it's been said before.... but the support from this site is amazing, I have happy fish and happy fry.... thanx)

peet

01-01-2003, 08:38 PM
Hey Peet, yeah sometimes we forget that everyone dosent know what all of the abbreviations that are used on this board stand for. The Ocean Nutrition frozen food will normally come two ways in a flat pack or in frozen cubes about the size of dice. I personally like the frozen cubes. They make several different types...ONF1, ONF2 and ONF VHP along with several other frozen food types....
HTH (Hope This Helps) :D :D

Randy

01-01-2003, 09:40 PM
If THOSE snowflakes are for sale, I know I couldn't afford them. I wouldn't be surprised if that was future breeding stock he's growing out. Definately some REALLY nice fish in that tank!!!

01-02-2003, 09:12 AM
Thanks Brad,

Randy I believe the VHP Has no gel binder added to it only makeing it more messy?

Still it would be great for fry

takecare,
Cary Gld!

01-02-2003, 04:54 PM
Cary ,yes you are right it is a little bit more messy as it does not have as much jel binder as the 1 and 2 but I like the extra goodies that it has in it plus my pairs seem to like it better. I feed all 3 types to the fry, I just try and feed the VHP before I do my last water change for the day and then drop in the blackworms for a midnight snack for them ;)

Randy

RandalB
01-02-2003, 05:33 PM
Outstanding thread Cary. Good Work Bro!

Now where the hell do I Find ONF1+2 around here...........

RandalB

Carol_Roberts
01-02-2003, 05:38 PM
Don't most fish stores carry it along with frozen bloodworms and brineshrimp - if not they can order it in for you.

Carol :heart1:

01-02-2003, 08:16 PM
Again!

How much Money do you have? hee.hee.hee

Randel if you can't find it let Me know I'll send ya a Bag.

HTH Your discus grow PHAT!

Cary Gld!

Pick
01-05-2003, 01:09 AM
Thanks Cary,

Now my fry have REALLY bulging, REALLY red bellies!

TC