PDA

View Full Version : large tank for growout???

cgrim10
01-01-2003, 04:00 PM
i see that some or most of the breeders out there prefer a large volume growout tank. what is the reasoning behind a large tank? more space? a larger volume of water to provide stability? or they just like big tanks. any input appreciated.
cg

01-01-2003, 04:21 PM
Hi Craig,

Happy New Year! ;D

I like big tanks cause of water Quality! There is no way to feed enought food to 100+ fry in a 29Gal and have good water Quality even if You change water Day + Night!

IME baby discus grow faster in a smaller confinments!
But the trick is trying to balance the bio-load, food-load, and stoocking levels. So IMO its best to use bigger tanks for the ease of things But if able to stock fry in a 40 breeder with 100gals of water volume this is the way to go for faster growth but much more work!

HTH Your Discus Grow BIG!
Cary Gld!

Jason
01-01-2003, 06:09 PM
IME

fry grow better in square tanks, i get better growth in a 24"x18"x18" than in a 40 or 55 with the same stocking levels.

anyone else notice this?

Carol_Roberts
01-01-2003, 07:11 PM
Hi Cary:
I have 70 one inch fry (26 days old) in a 29 gallon, changing more than 50% water 2X a day and feel it isn't enough.

When should they be moved to a 55 gallon?
Carol :heart1:

Discusgeo
01-01-2003, 07:43 PM
Carol if you feel comfortable with the move and the babies are healthy which it looks like you do a fine job I would go ahead and move them. I don't need to tell you about how the water should be the same, I think you know that part by now. If I were you I think instead of using a net lower the tank water and try and catch them in a container(jar) by lowering it into the water and letting the water and discus fill it up. I think you should be able to catch 5 or 6 at a time.
George