PDA

View Full Version : "Internet Trolls" Long post

Rich_Long
01-01-2003, 04:11 PM
I copied this from www.mercurymarauder.net. If I did a no-no by posting it here, please chastise me as needed.

This is from another board. I'm not sure who the original author was.

It's not a bad summation IMO

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is a Troll?

We've all heard the expression "He's a Troll", but have you ever taken the time to considered what that really means? If you're like most people, probably not. According to Merriam-Webster, a troll is a dwarf or giant in Scandinavian folklore inhabiting caves or hills. The troll I plan to discuss is a special variety referred to as the "Internet troll".

The Internet Troll

An Internet troll is someone who lurks in the dark recesses of bulletin boards awaiting hapless victims to prey upon. The troll derives his pleasure from sowing dissension and discord. He start arguments and provokes Flame Wars for the sole purpose of p*ssing people off and disrupting a board. The internet is his playground, and it's citizens are his playthings. The more he can anger or upset you, the better he feels about himself.

Trolls are not troubled by criticism. they could care less about what you think or feel. You cannot reason with them, you cannot chastise them, or make them feel guilty for their actions. They are true antisocials. The rules of society do not apply to them.

Some people due to constant exposure, have developed an immunity to troll tactics. They know better than to respond to them and simply ignore their cries for attention. Newbies however are easy prey for the veteran troll.

Common Troll Tactics

Makes accusations which can't be disproved

Misinterprets, misquotes, or misrepresents another person's point of view

Name calling

Use of offensive materials in their signature line

Trolling the posting of inflammatory material for the
purpose of eliciting emotionally charged responses.

Flooding making numerous posts to disrupt conversations

Impersonation sometimes a troll will modify the name of a well-liked member, and make offensive posts as if they were them.

Some Troll Terminology

Spanked or Slam Dunked- Trolls use these terms to signify that they have won an argument.

Trolling- To fish for responses by posting inflammatory material

Bwahahahaha- Trolls use this term as a delaying tactic to question they cannot respond to quickly, or have no answer for. It may also be used to intimidate another person occasionally.

Lamer- Trolls use this term to describe people that intimidate them

Puppet-master - A troll who acknowledges his true purpose

Puppet- A person whom the troll can easily manipulate

Sockpuppet- A character created by the troll to attack other users or support his viewpoint.

What effect does a troll have on a community?

Trolls are absolute Masters at spreading dissension, paranoia, and a general sense of ill-will. They can take what was once a pleasant place to exchange ideas, thoughts, and experiences, and turn it into a raging battleground! They can discourage both old and new members from participating, and cause others to leave in an effort to avoid their relentless attacks.

What can be done about trolls?

There are basically two tactics that can be employed when dealing with a particularly nasty troll.

Respond to him in a congenial manner. Sometimes he will calm down. Don't count on it though.

Ignore him. When you argue with a troll, he wins. When you show your agitation, he wins. When you exchange insults with a troll, he wins. The only thing a troll can't handle is your refusal to pay attention to him.

Simply put: Don't Feed The Trolls!

Troll Defenses

When trolls are confronted about their disruptive behavior, they tend to fall back on the tried and true defense of Free Speech. The majority of people on the internet support the right of free speech, and are therefore hesitant to censor or curtails another person's flow of thoughts, words, or ideas. The troll knows this, and uses it to his own self-serving advantage.

The best response to the troll's defense of free speech is: "Yes" you do have the right to say whatever you please, but you don't have the right to say it wherever you please.

Drawing the line as to what is an acceptable exercise of Free Speech is the job of the board administrator or owner. If he decides a troll's behavior has got out of hand, he has every right to ask him to leave. If the troll does not willingly comply, then the administrator can go one step farther and ban his IP. This does not always work though..

Trolls tend to be extremely resourceful individuals. They will find new ISP's to use, create new identities, or spam the board from another site. The best defense therefore, is to ignore the troll. He has little patience and must have his daily fix just like any other addict. By refusing to feed him, he will be forced to move on to greener pastures and seek out new victims to terrorize.

So Why Do Trolls Do What They Do?

Trolls do what they do because they crave your attention. Good or bad, it's all the same to the troll. In some vague, twisted way being obnoxious and putting other people down fills a void in their life. They enjoy seeing others get upset or hurt by their actions. They feel a great sense of accomplishment and power from viewing the chaos they have created. They and their efforts have been validated..

Part II

Are there different types of Trolls?

Yes trolls come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and dispositions. One variety that has proven to be especially nasty is the Conversational Terrorist troll. His weapons of choice are words and circular logic. He has honed the art of debate into a razor sharp weapon which he wields against his unsuspecting victims.

He has many potent forms of attack at his disposal, and will use them individually or in mass to defeat an opponent. Circular logic is the basis of many of his attacks. what is Circular Logic you ask? Circular logic is a logical error, caused by first making an assumption that can't be proven true, then, on the basis of that assumption, coming to some conclusion that is then used to "prove" that the first assumption is true. Confusing, huh? It's not to the troll.

I will briefly summarize these attacks below:

Ad Hominem Variants Attacking the person instead of the subject at hand

Sleight of Mind Fallacies Mental "magic" to cheat logic and fair dialog

Delay Tactics When the brain freezes, the lips flap on...

Question as Opportunity A favorite of politicians

General Irritants Verbal grenades, irritants, and ploys

The Classic Troll

The classic troll's primary purpose is to engage others in heated arguments or debates. They tend to be above-average in intelligence, and perceive their trolling behaviors as intellectual challenges.

The Obsessive/Compulsive Troll

The Obsessive troll tend to be fixated on one particular topic, basing all their trolls from a common theme. i.e. (Police Impersonators) They may post on other topics, but they will almost always return to their main theme before too much time has past.

The Preoccupied Troll

Preoccupied trolls are known for their long streams of psychobabble. Their posts tend to make no sense, and have no logical order to them. It's as if they are emptying their disorganized thoughts on to the board for all to see. Typical post will relate to religion, self-help topics, numerology, etc.

The Malevolent Troll

Malevolent trolls tend to engage in activities such as spamming and extreme profanity. On the average, they are probably the least intelligent of all the troll subtypes. It's rumored that most trolls of this type are chronic bed wetters, and have difficulties getting an erection. They are fascinated by topics concerning rectums, penises, and homosexuality.

Have you seen any trolls like this?

I'm sure you have at one time or another. To engage in battle with him is pointless, you cannot win! But for the troll it's a win/win situation. he has got your attention and is feeding off your emotions..

Why are trolls so good at what they do?

This will probably come as a shock to you, but trolls really aren't so different from you or I. They feel the same pain, anger, hurt,and sorrow that you do, only it's everyday of their lives. This is why they're so good at finding other peoples weak spots and pushing their buttons. They enjoy seeing others hurt like they do. their only source of validation in life comes from anonymous strangers, and it infuriates them when they see a happy, well-adjusted person.

Trolls are social misfits in real life. They have very few friends, family, or social outlets. They don't know how to appropriately gain the respect, approval, or attention that they so desperately crave. They'll spend hours on a bulletin just waiting for an opportunity to create chaos. In their minds this is an acceptable means of obtaining the attention and respect they long for.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

brewmaster15
01-01-2003, 04:18 PM
Hi Rich!

That is one very good summation!!!!

Think I'll put up at the top here for a while. :)

thank you for sharing,

al

Ralph
01-01-2003, 04:53 PM
It's the anonymity of the internet that makes this possible, people would never talk to each other like that in person.
It is very frustrating when most people are mature and polite enough to avoid talking to each other in negative ways. These trolls get on and seem to polarize everyone, people take sides and start piling on. It is really one of those "one bad apple" situations. Personally I try to stay above it and ignore those posts when possible, but as a moderator, we usually don't have any choice but to issue warnings and if needed, ban those people.
It all seems so ridiculous when you realize that we are just talking about our pet fish.

Carol_Roberts
01-01-2003, 05:42 PM
Thank you Rich. This is an excellent article. I know I was thinking of certain names as I read through the "troll" descriptions.

Carol :heart1:

tjudy
01-01-2003, 10:11 PM
;)
Trolls usually behave a little better if thet get a chance to get out in the sunshine....

redlines
01-01-2003, 10:24 PM
Bwahahahaha

ahh hmmm uhmm

oh yeah good post.

Andy

SLY
01-02-2003, 02:08 AM
Excellent explanation and how very true it is..thanks for sharing Rich.

01-02-2003, 05:48 PM
I don't think that any of our fellow posters in this wonderful community would be deemed Trolls so I don't understand the relevance of this thread to this forum. Sure, we get disagreements, arguments even, but that doesn't seem to fit the modus operandi of a Troll. I thought the prerequisite for trolldom was that they were anonymous/used ficticious names, switched aliases often to avoid detection and rarely, if ever, provided anything of any value to the forum they were trolling. No one here seems to fit that description. Mostly we get people who disagree with each other and just can't seem to be civil, heck even some of the moderators fall into that category sometimes. And I doubt that there is a poster here that has more then 5% of his/her posts that fall into the less then "civil" category, the rest of their posts being very unTroll-like. I guess I'm wrong and therefore I must be a Troll since I don't get the point... d'oh. Is this like one on those interventions for people with addictions? Ha ha ha. I knew that "Miami Road Trip" thread would do me in. Oh well, back to the dungeon for me. I'll just lurk and try to learn from your stellar examples.

Dave

p.s. one man's freedom figher is another man's terrorist. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... damn, I must be a Troll... that clinches it.

brewmaster15
01-02-2003, 06:07 PM
Dave,
No one mentioned you.

thought the prerequisite for trolldom was that they were anonymous/used ficticious names, switched aliases often to avoid detection and rarely, if ever, provided anything of any value to the forum they were trolling

actually we have them, and I have banned at least two.

Dave,
you are free to post or lurk or both, and as for

I'll just lurk and try to learn from your stellar examples.
please do...or set your own stellar example.

But your criticism of this site are really getting irritating. For the time we put into it , this is not appreciated. I'm sure there are other sites that you would find more in line with your thoughts on how a site should function? Maybe you should look for one, or maybe you already found one.

Instant message me if you like and we can discuss it further.

take care,
al

Incidentally I would not call you a troll, you add plenty of value to this forum. But you also get bored easy and like to stir things up, push a few buttons, write a few long diatribes. You've always been that way on the discus boards and most likely always will be. :)

01-02-2003, 06:38 PM
No, no one mentioned me... except me. I figured that was my right... I didn't have to worry about not being civil to myself. I also didn't think that my post was critical of this site. Or critical of the original poster on this thread. If anything I was standing up for the posters of this forum, saying that I didn't think the term "Troll" applied to any that I knew of. You may have banned a couple in the past but the Troll thread was begun yesterday and therefore I didn't think it was relevant given the posters of this forum today. Maybe I'm wrong and maybe my p.s. is the point I was making, a Troll is not always a Troll, it all depends on the opinion of the person making the assessment. Thanks for your interpretation of my posting persona, although it was not asked for it's always a pleasure to hear the opinions of others.

Chris-C
01-02-2003, 09:19 PM
Now Now guys , take it easy. Al et al ya'll do an awesome job with Simply and its a goldmine of info for the hobbyist. I'm sure I'd have trouble keeping healthy discus without it. Dave I really enjoy reading your posts. They are well thought out and straight up. I think different points of view make the board stronger. Also youre not bashfull about stating how you feel about stuff and do it civilly. This is a good thing so keep posting

Chris

01-03-2003, 12:01 AM
I think I can honestly see the "argument," or lack thereof, between the mods and Dave from both sides. Dave has an incredible wealth of knowledge and he has his opinions, which he expresses quite openly and sometimes feels his rights are impended upon through a lack of uniformity (is that even a word?). The mods, on the other hand, are trying to keep things totally clean/positive. However, nobody is perfect and we all err at times. I'll admit that I've erred a few times on the board here. I think it is the intentions that really matter, and both Dave and the mods have the best of intentions.

On another note, I think some people that are trolls, or psuedotrolls, don't know that they are/have the desire to be a troll. They may not realize it for some time, they may never realize it, or they may know from the very start. I think that it all boils down to intentions though.....

Brad

Rick_May
01-03-2003, 12:59 PM
every so often I'll drop by the "Troll Den" is D.I.P and get a good chuckle then I'm back here for some intelligent conversation. The sad thing is some of the “Kees” trolls do have something to offer as to experience, but are unable to control the urge to pull out the old flame thrower and light up the place.

brewmaster15
01-03-2003, 03:01 PM
:) :) :) :) :)

01-03-2003, 03:20 PM
I declare that Al is a troll and I have seen him performing Troll-like activities!!! Let the troll-hunt begin! :fried:

brewmaster15
01-03-2003, 03:28 PM
Brad,
Now thats a funny one. Could be wrong, but I don't think I fit the bill. there are times though when I wish I was. ;)

-al

ps... don't you have college apps to be filling... or maybe a water change ;D

Ryan
01-03-2003, 03:30 PM
Now, now Brad... no pointing fingers... we don't want that whole Salem witch trial thing to start again. I'm a troll, but my job as a moderator here frowns on that, so I have to keep it in check. I take pills every morning to help me keep my trollness levels down.

:o :P

01-03-2003, 03:37 PM
college apps are DONE!!!!!!!

Waterchanges are......................not...............grrrrrr rrrr

Come on Al, you know you're a closet troll

brewmaster15
01-03-2003, 03:54 PM
Brad , maybe we all are.Guess we just need to be reminded when we forget to take those pills.Huh? ;)

-al

ps.. call the doctor, he needs to up your dose. ;D