PDA

View Full Version : Heckels at LFS

01-02-2003, 11:41 PM
Well I stopped by my LFS today (who normally has very poor quality discus) and much to my surprise, there were two wild heckels and a wild red spotted green. I'm really interested in getting a heckel or two, and these heckels were the best looking fish I've ever seen there. Their bodies were just as tall, if not taller, than they were long (excluding fins). Their eyes were very small for their size; they were an honest 2.5" without tail, 3" with. They were very round as well and they swam with fins fully errect. They didn't look sick in the slightest, oppossed to some of their other fish (in different tanks). They were priced at $54 each, but there is a possibility that I could do some trading out with them for some of my culls ;) ;D (which are better than their nicest fish...lol). My question is, what do I need to consider as far as getting these wilds? Any precautions I'd need to take? Anything I need to look for that I haven't stated? Water params needed? Any way to sex these fish with any accuracy?? Would I need to treat for anything as soon as I got them? Any different QT procedures? I've never had a wild before, and I LOVE Heckels. These fish have a prominent 5th bar, but not as prominent as some I've seen on here, will that occur with age? Also, they have a very fine pattern (more close to snakeskin than regular striation, but it is between the two). Is this an indication of a truly wild fish or has it most likely been crossed? They weren't 100% positive that these were wilds, but they were 90% sure. They knew for a fact that the Red Spotted Green was wild. Sorry for asking sooo many questions...anyone care to answer them all? lol
Brad

Francisco_Borrero
01-03-2003, 12:39 AM
I would say that if you can get them for a good price, go for them, specially the RSG if it is a nice one. The heckels too.
What to do different ? Not a thing, but I would QT them by themselves for a good while, during observation. Most often gill flukes and gut worms are facts of wildlife, but they should not be too bad. I would get them, look at them good, use salt and heat at first, and observe. With more time, decide on need of prazi, panacur for roundworms, and whatever else. Some people would advise to pp them first thing, but I prefer salt and heat.
Good luck and post pictures. Cheers, Francisco.

01-03-2003, 10:41 AM
Thanks Francisco. The RSG was a little bigger but not as nice IMO, although other wild purists would probably disagree. Not enough spotting to make me lust for him. The heckels have a pattern similar to yours, but the 5th bar isn't quite as prominent as your Heckels, and the other bars show a good bit. Does this change with age?

Brad

April
01-03-2003, 11:12 AM
it changes with moods and water hardness and ph etc. they can flash them on and off. wouldnt worry about that.
or they can reverse them . if acting dominant etc.

Ryan
01-03-2003, 03:01 PM
Brad, the 5th bar may have a lot to do with their water quality. Hardness and pH are usually a factor in that. True heckels can "reverse" the middle bar, making it look like a negative photo image (it gets lighter than the rest of the discus, and looks like a greyish-white stripe down the middle)... It may just be that they need to be fed well and taken care of.

I don't know if you really have to baby them. I know most people here follow the same procedures with their wilds as they do with their domestics. They may need some cleaning up once you get them, as Francisco mentioned.

Ryan

Francisco_Borrero
01-03-2003, 04:53 PM
I agree with April and Ryan. At this point, the color doesn't mean much.
So..... did you get them ? If you can afford it, and if you were successful bargaining, the RSG may still be a good investment, even if with not many spots. More spots are known to appear with improved conditions and maturity.....
Good luck, Francisco.