PDA

View Full Version : potted swords

Rick00
01-03-2003, 02:55 PM
Hi,

Can someone tell me how to pot a sword plant...
i bought some clay pots and want some real plants in my new 125...kinda tired of looking at a plain tank...i've never kept plants before would be great.

thanks,
Rick

Rick00
01-03-2003, 02:56 PM
oh and i almost forgot....

How do u clean them????

daninthesand
01-03-2003, 03:00 PM
Rick00

Can't help you with the potted plants (sorry), but have you considered fake plants. I chose to try some and I think they do add to the tank's look. Not real I know but no hasstles. Yes, barebottom does get a little dry at times, especially for large display tanks.

Daniel

Ralph
01-03-2003, 03:51 PM
Hey Rick,
Swords are strong root feeders so your substrate is important. You have several options though. Fill about 1/3 to 1/2 of the pot with gravel (depending on how deep it is), then add an inch or two of Laterite (most LFSs have small amounts of the stuff - it looks like red gravel, it is actually clay) or Flourite (comes in 15lbs bags for about $20 US - it is baked clay). Put the sword on top of that and then cover to the crown of the plant with gravel. Another option is to only use gravel as the planting medium and then put a fertilizer stick or two in the gravel. These have to be replaced periodically.
Be careful on which pot you use, nothing with any kind of unglazed paint. Also no used pots (they may have salt build up or other bad stuff). I would also soak them first to make sure that they aren't leaching anything into the water. The shorter pots look better in your tank.
I am working on a tank with no substrate, just plants tied to driftwood. I'll be posting some photos soon. Just another option.
There is a thread that talks about treating your plants to get rid of snails:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=3241

You may want to read up on how to fertilize your plants but I wouldn't bother for a month or two, until they establish themselves.
Mine do well with regular shop lights but if your tank is real deep, you may need more.

ChloroPhil
01-03-2003, 06:43 PM
Use terra cotta pots.

Get a nylon stocking and use it to cover the hole in the bottom of the pot and fill it 1/3 of the way with gravel. Drop a Flourish Tab in there and add the plant. Fill the pot .5 inch from the rim then gently pull the sword up until you can see the crown. Like Ralph said, Flourite is good stufff..I'd highly recommend it as it's not likely you'll need more than one bag if you're potting things and your plants will love it.

Rinse and repeat if necessary..:)

Rick00
01-04-2003, 02:03 PM
Thanks guys...

Rick