PDA

View Full Version : flake food?

vin impz
01-03-2003, 10:48 PM
if i do get the discus what would the best type of flake food be? they would also be getting brine shrimp, bloodworms, and blackworms.

fcdiscus
01-04-2003, 12:31 AM
I like Ocean Nutrition Formula One, and Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Flakes. Frank-----Oh- the fish do too! ;)

darcy
01-04-2003, 12:33 AM
I use OSI flake. My fish like it!!

Frank you are everywhere!!
Darcy

fcdiscus
01-04-2003, 12:35 AM
Sort of like horse manure! FC

fcdiscus
01-04-2003, 12:36 AM
PS- I need more posts to pass Brad! ;D

darcy
01-04-2003, 12:38 AM
Easy big guy Easy!!!!! Play nice now!!
Darcy

Don_Lee
01-04-2003, 01:52 AM
Some of the best quality flake is reported to be OSF1. I have had luck with Tetra Color Bits, as well as New Life Spectrum Discus pellets. Look for good quality, and try to stick with frozen foods if possible.

Don

vin impz
01-04-2003, 02:01 AM
do u think wardlys tropical flakes would be good for a discus?

fcdiscus
01-04-2003, 02:16 AM
I have had fish that ate Wardleys, but, I am not a big fan. Frank

Don_Lee
01-04-2003, 02:16 AM
As long as it is fresh, I would say so.

Don ;D

darcy
01-04-2003, 10:04 AM
Those pellets are the one thing that all my fish will not eat.
I've tried some and I eneded up giving then away or my cat tore the pouch apart and ate them!! Oh well if the fish don't eat you can always feed it to your oyher animals!!
Darcy

01-05-2003, 01:20 AM
ONF1 and ONF2 works dang good for my fish.

Miles :)

arpanlib
01-05-2003, 03:55 AM
hi,
i have tried the tetra vegetable flakes and they are a good addition.

arpanlib

peety
01-06-2003, 07:34 AM
I feed Nutrafin and 2 cheapie brands of flake, along with blood worm, and tetrabits. It all gets eaten in my community tank regardless ;D ;D

My breeders are a bit more fussy but still like one of the cheapie brands (local Supermarket line) :)

I have to admit tho the dearer brands don't foul the water as much, are preferred, and actually smell like food (not processed waste or plastic)

01-06-2003, 09:19 AM
Vin Impz, Wardley is now owned by Hartz Mountain. Nuff Said!!!!!!!!! ;) Joe

Aquatic_Design
01-06-2003, 09:23 AM
Joe,
I didn't realize that. Well that makes me want to run right out and buy some. :-X

Donna :)

Jeff
01-06-2003, 01:41 PM
I too like ocean nutrition one and two.

Tin Pusher
01-06-2003, 02:20 PM
My fish refuse flake food. I just got back from 4 days away and thought that going hungry for that period would make them eat it. Wrong! Tried and refused brands so far include Tetra Clor Bits, Tetra Cichlid Food, and Nutra Fin Max. Any flakes that they will possibly try?

EthanCote.com
01-06-2003, 02:37 PM
Hey Tin,

Wow they seems like pretty picky eater. Are you feeling them live food? Also what kind of food were they being feed before you brought them?

Mine are quite good, they eat more or less anything I throw into the tank =) well fish food that is. Ofcourse some food gets consume much more eagerly than others.

The bottom line is to get a good mix of food and your Discus will do well. Don't limit to just flakes, try some pellets and frozen food as well.

I don't feed them flakes much, but when I do, its the normal Tropical flake food. Aside from that, they get a generous amount of Tetra Color bits, basic goldfish green pellets and various frozen food.

Cheers,

Chi.

Tin Pusher
01-06-2003, 11:27 PM
They used to only eat frozen bw then I got them into cut up earth worms and then they were not too keen on the bw when I tried them again. They will sometimes eat frozen bs but won't touch the frozen krill. All frozen food is Hikari.

April
01-06-2003, 11:54 PM
try onf1 flakes from king ed pets.the blue lid . big flakes. and mine all like it and wont eat tetra bits etc.
and dont feed the live food for a bit. mine eat it. if they are not good eaters..then try prazzi on them. maybe they have worms?
only feed a few flakes at a time and often so they learn to come up and beg. dont leave food around.or they learn to pick.

Kap
01-08-2003, 12:21 AM
My discus readily take to Omega One first flakes, freshwater flakes, veggie flakes, Tetramin, and frozen foods such as beef heart and brine shrimp. Frozen bloodworms seem to be their favorite, and discus delight their least favorite. I agree with feeding sparingly or they will become picky eaters with food laying around. Tetra Color Bits usually sit quite a while before they are taken, if at all. The new Marineland Bio-Blend all gets eaten, too. I figure different types of food will ensure a balanced diet, though you notice no live foods in this mix. I will probably start cultivating some earthworms and making small batches of fresh food from some of the recipes found here on Simply (don't recall the specific thread, however). You might want to try them, too.

01-08-2003, 03:51 AM
Plankton Gold Flake! www.brineshrimpdirect.com

roger
01-08-2003, 05:54 PM
My fish will eat almost anything though they arent fond of the spirulina/kelp flake from brineshrimpdirect.com of course that was a free sample. My fish get a shot onf 1 in the morning when I get up then a shot of frozen food when I go out the door. I feed assorted frozen foods to my fish and whatever flake food I happen to have. Usually if you have picky eaters all it takes is one fish to eat something then the rest join in. The fish I got from Cary got my other fish to eat the flake food.

Peace,
Roger

black_bullet
01-11-2003, 05:23 AM
My discus eat Tetra flake food and Tetra Color Bits and Vibra Gro discus pellets for the dried food portion of their diet. But they rather have oyster, cocktail shrimp, white fish, deshelled peas, liver, beefheart and mysis shrimp ;D I personally wouldnt feed my discus a diet of dry only foods, frozen and fresh people foods seems to work better ;D

edgeguy
01-18-2003, 12:06 PM
Has anyone tried mike reed flake food for discus? I have tried his cichlid flake food and my fish love it, but I was wondering if anyone has tried his discus flake food?

http://www.mreed.com/

jim_shedden
01-18-2003, 04:14 PM
I've missed something......what is ONF1 & 2?

Jim

Aquatic_Design
01-18-2003, 05:03 PM
Jim,

ONF1 = Ocean Nutrition Formula 1

ONF2 = Ocean Nutrition Formula 2

They now make flake and pellet food as well as frozen. They are actually a marine food. My discus eat the pellet and the frozen.

HTH,

jim_shedden
01-18-2003, 05:11 PM
Thanks Donna

Jim

Aquatic_Design
01-18-2003, 07:15 PM
Your welcome Jim. ;D ;D ;D

sportzfish
01-22-2003, 08:25 PM
I have used ON1 and Omega flakes and the my fish seem to take more readily to the Omega flakes for some reason. Does anyone know where Omega flakes can be purchased online for a reasonable price? thanks for any help in advance, Darren.

jim_shedden
01-22-2003, 09:03 PM
does anyone know where to get on1 &2 in Canada?

Jim

Jeff
01-27-2003, 04:16 AM
Darren,

I have ONF 1 & 2 for $7.99 / 5.5 oz plus shipping.

Jeff

01-27-2003, 08:44 PM
Oh yeah!!!! Omega One flakes are all I will use!!! I buy them online here- the best price I have found!!!!

http://www.afishybusiness.com/omegaone.html

Weezy ;D

sportzfish
01-30-2003, 01:01 PM
Thanks Weezy (in the George Jefferson accent), they definitely have the right product, but I wish they sold in bigger sizes!?!??!

Ramon Anastacio
02-01-2003, 11:58 AM
Al Johnson at Rocky Mountain Discus sells Omega One Flake and he carries 8 oz cans.

http://www.rockymountaindiscus.com/Specials.htm

Ramon

ALEXIS
02-10-2003, 11:04 AM
Omega Flakes are very good and the fish just love them. The wilds even hit the Omega 1 Flake.

Sketchy
07-07-2003, 04:30 PM
OMEGA ONE is the flake food to feed. Look at the label, no fish meal listed as the first ingredient with this food. Fresh salmon, halibut, cod, herring, shrimp, krill, squid, clams, and octopus, .....get a can, read it, and you'll see for yourself. Watch your fish eat and you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner!

let's face it, fish eat fish, and the fish like Omega One better than that Tetra or Wardley's garbage we've been throwing into our tanks only because it dominates shelf space at the LFS.

AquaMan1
07-09-2003, 11:53 PM
I feed mine TetraMenu it has Breakfast Lunch Dinner and Treat it's a little expensive but it has a variety of food types.

Nightowl
07-10-2003, 01:25 AM
Hello all, I work at LFS and am happy to say that tetra & wardley foods do not dominate our shelf space, but Ocean Nut.,OSI, and HBH do! I try to convert one tetra user per week... had one last night in fact, put back rich mix flake for ON comm. formula.....another personal victory for the Nightowl! Don't sell Omega but its good stuff, very similar are the ON foods. Tetra has lots of yeast & fillers..... and isn't cheap!!! they have that monster truck they have to keep funded..............later, J.T. :vanish:

fcdiscus
07-10-2003, 01:52 AM
But JT, nothing in my book beats the Tetra Bits! Frank 8)

Sketchy
07-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Read the label on your Tetra bits and then read the label on Omega One. Tetra bits lists the number one ingredient as fish meal...Omega One lists the first ingredient as whole salmon. Fish foods that use fish meal, PDP or other processed protein ingredients have lost alot of the "quality" by using large amounts of plant starches as binders which are not only much less nutritious, but less attractive or appealing to the fish. Keep in mind that the way foods are processed and "binded" together make the proper nutrition often "unavailable" to many fishes.

Vitamin retention--- Foods that use plant binders (like the meal makers); do add vitamins. Problem is; the binders are water soluble; therefore the vitamins begin to leach out into the water often before the fish get to consume enough. Omega's use of un-denatured marine proteins in a natural gel ARE NOT WATER SOLUBLE and therfore the fish get to consume the full amount of vitamins added. Since Omega One uses a natural gel binding, it retains most all of the natural un-damaged proteins for the fish, including the rich Omega 3 & 6 HUFA's for healthy immune systems.
Another factor is low phosphorus levels.... phosphorous comes from bones..(fish meal is usually made from fish byproducts like heads and bones); by using whole fish parts (like Omega does) they are able to keep down the phosphorous levels to .89% or less.!! (Phosphorous, also a phosphate group, increases algae growth in tanks!!

The high ash content of much of the foods are a result of using large amounts of grains and yeasts (again, adding very little nutrition). Omega uses kelp and algae instead and is able to keep the ash content under 2%. If you read, its says 8% MAXIMUM!!! By law, they all say that.. its a maximum; but if you check the food or call Omega they can verify its under 2% in actuality!!

Natural color enhancers.... Omega also uses parts of fish skins (particularly salmon) which has all the natural color enhancers (silver, yellow, blue and red caratenoids)..... as opposed to processed shrimp or krill whose high level of caratenoids are poorly transferred to the "skin" of the fish. The skins of fish can be fully utilized and digested thereby helping fish reach their "peak" coloration. The dark flecks visible in the Omega flakes are, in fact, tiny pieces of finely ground fish skins which are included in the fresh, whole fish ingredients of the Omega flake

Omega One is also cheaper to buy than Tetra foods, so why would you pay more to receive less?

Huy Nguyen
07-10-2003, 10:14 AM
Hi Weezy,
Which type of Omega One flake are you using? Because I looked on the website there are lots of different types available. I have never tried flake b4 but I would like to try it.
Thank You

Mattzilla
07-20-2003, 06:48 AM
i feed my discus frozen blood worms, live black worms, live brine shrimp, tetra bits, zuchini and algea pellets (that i used to feed my bristle nose that i don't have anymore).

does that sound like a healthy diet????

matt

edgeguy
07-20-2003, 02:10 PM
Besides frozen bw's and ocassionaly mysis shrimp I feed my discus omega vegie flakes and first flakes. The first few ingredients are whole fish.

Question: I have some young blue colbalts and I see Azoo has a blue discus formula. Has anyone tried it? I know that the omega has az... ingredient that helps the red color, but what helps the blue color?

wall_o_fish
07-23-2003, 01:51 PM
Once my HBH is gone, I think I"ll try some omega one. What variety do you all use?

Okay, I'll weigh in for HBH here. I haven't used Omega One yet, so I can't compare them to HBH, but my discus haven't yet refused HBH's Meat Lover's flake.

scott

Sketchy
07-24-2003, 07:49 PM
OMEGA ONE comes in flake or pellet form with color, veggie, and cichlid variations and sizes. It really is a superior food. The salmon skins will also enhance blue coloring in fish.