PDA

View Full Version : Pump in the holding tank

h317
01-04-2003, 12:13 AM
Wonder if you guys keep the water pump in the holding tank/barrel after w/c is done. Will the pump be leaking anything harmful to the discus into the aged water?

daninthesand
01-04-2003, 12:29 AM
Well. I keep mine in contact with the stored water at all times. Is is installed in-line externally so it must stay in contact (at least the impeller part itself) at all times by design.
However this main pump and the others I have are designed for aquarium use. So they are either inert plastic or stainless steel parts. All of them are magnetic drive. So in my case I feel quite safe leaving them in contact with the fish water all the time, even when not in use.

If your pump is considered aquarium safe, then it should be OK. Best to check with the pumps manufacturer or seller on that one.

If you are using one of those pumps form home depot (eg) meant for draining waterbeds, and basements, they are usually (often?) oil filled. In that case I'd be wary about using them at all, let alone keeping them constantly submerged in the fish water.

So I guess it depends...

Does that help?

Provide more details of your pump and mabe we can be more precise...

:)
Daniel

h317
01-04-2003, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the reponse, Daniel.

Mine is a Mag 24. According to the instructions, it is a magnetically driven centrifugal water pump and it has no seals to wear and contains no oil. Is it safe to keep it submerged then?

I use a pvc elbow to connect the pump with a vinyl tube so they must be safe also.

daninthesand
01-04-2003, 12:39 AM
Many of my pumps are Mag drives (brand name). Not sure if that's the same brand as yours, but I'd be fairly confident that what you describe is safe. They are often used in sumps of filters and remain exposed to water basically forever.

Should be OK!

Daniel

darcy
01-04-2003, 12:48 AM
Good thread!! I was going to use one of those oil filled little giants, that I have sitting around but I guess I'd better not!! :o we use the oil filled ones at work and our product weakens the metal parts on the pump we put on to circulate the product in a 350 gallon holding barrel. Never had one leak the oil out though. You learn something new here everyday!!
darcy

h317
01-04-2003, 12:48 AM
This is the pump that I have:
http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/skus/wp/WPSU-02740.asp?L+scstore+njrh3838ff133b13+1041656206

I believe it is safe for keeping in the holding tank. Thanks, Daniel.

daninthesand
01-04-2003, 01:00 AM
Yep. That's the same brand. I can almost guarantee they are safe. Lots of people use 'em in sumps etc. I have two of em. Not quite as powerful as that though yikes 2400 gallons per hour!

darcy.

If your company uses little giant pumps maybe you could order a "special" aquarium series pump from Little Giant with the next pump order for work. he he.

Seriously though, I'd think some of the "non-fish safe pumps" (NFSP I'll call them) could be used, say for waste water pumping if you don't have a drain near your fish tank. IE siphon the waste fish water into a large rubbermaid garbage can and use the NFSP to drain the waste water from the can to your drain. No worries about the safety of the pump because it should never be touching clean fish water. They are generally cheap and pump a heck of a lot of water for a reasonable price. So they do have their uses.

Daniel

01-04-2003, 09:57 AM
I have a 500 gph pump in my holding tank and I leave it there all time. Never had a problem. Actually, I've found that if you unhook the hose from it and leave it running all the time, it does a much better job on the water than an airstone as far as agitating and aerating.

darcy
01-04-2003, 10:01 AM
Daniel you read my mind!! I already have a fax made out to send to little giant on Monday!!!! Better get a good deal on it also!!!

Darcy

RandalB
01-04-2003, 06:16 PM
Stay away from Oil filled pumps! My inlaws lost a pond full of Koi (Some 24") when the sump-pump my father-in-law was using blew a seal and dumped it's oil.

RandalB