PDA

View Full Version : discus skin rotting off

angelsandmore
01-04-2003, 12:19 AM
I bought 14 discus off of a local guy he had 20 lost a few and called it quits I bought his tanks and remaining fish one has a open wound on top of head I have him in a sick tank left the rest of the large ones in a 150 gal tank I have treated with metafix is there anything else to do ? the others died that way he tried fungus cure with no luck is it hole in the head? I have treated all with jungle parasite guard the 7 small discus are in a 40 gal I am pretty new to discus I got my first ones trading angels they are doing great I have two pair hope to have fry soon ten paring off in 150 how do I treat the sick one are the others safe i have 30 now and like them a lot

Francisco_Borrero
01-04-2003, 12:51 AM
Without a more detailed description of the "wound", and of the "skin rotting off", or better yet, a picture, it is very difficult to say what it may be. Do the other fish also have stuff on the head but smaller ? Do the other fish seem sick ?

If it is HITH, melafix alone will not "cure" it, but may help fighting off secondary infections. If it is HITH, good diet, excellent water quality, parasite clean-up and lots of TLC should help, but may not completely "cure" it.

Cheek the thread on "hole in the head symptoms".
Good luck & cheers, Francisco.

angelsandmore
01-04-2003, 11:15 PM
i notice a bump by the eye of another loks like a pimple the one with bad head looks worse here is a picture of it

angelsandmore
01-04-2003, 11:19 PM
i cant seem to post a full pic here is another cropped shot

brewmaster15
01-04-2003, 11:45 PM
Its hard to tell, but that looks like a serious bacterial infection.
I would try an antibiotic , but truthfully that fish looks like it will not survive or will be very scarred.

For an antibiotic there is one tht may work well on it...called Furanase, by aquarium pharmaceuticals... It will kill the bio filter so use it in a hospitol tank.

If that doesn't work, my other guess would be a parasite (coupled with secondary infection.)

sorry to not be better help.,
al

Francisco_Borrero
01-05-2003, 02:07 AM
I would agree on the need for an antibiotic. Looks like a nasty infection.
Good luck, Francisco.