PDA

View Full Version : BBS

skystar1101
01-04-2003, 04:00 PM
I would like to know what to feed baby brine shrimp after they hatch. I have tried several things and so far none work :-[. I want to continue raising them now that I have been able to hatch them by using aquarium salt, for all other salt failed every time. Pls help me to be good at raising them to adult hood and what I must do to maintain them afterwards.

brewmaster15
01-04-2003, 04:28 PM
Hi ,
They need to be fed microalgaes, but can also eat yeast. Go to

http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/brineshirmparticles1.html
and read up on the articles. They also sell foods to feed the shrimp.

Realistically though , they are not worth the trouble to grow out to adult size.

hth,
al

arpanlib
01-05-2003, 03:42 AM
hi,
i have grown brine shrimps to adult size with the help of brine shrimp food from NEW TECHNOLOGY in UK.
the product is really good and doesnot spoilt the water and there is no hassle of water changing and stuff.
they have the decapsulated artemia, which has a hatch rate of more the 90% (i have these products and saying after my experience with these products).

i just add eggs to the gold fish bowl with proper salinity etc and just add food till they get big in 14 days and i must say, the fish go mad after them.

http://www.ntlabs.co.uk

hope this helps.
do let me know how you found the products.
i think that this will be available at your end, because being in india, and the govt. rules, i have to get the stuff shipped here :(

arpanlib

01-05-2003, 04:16 AM
Arpanlib Hi,
They get big in 14 days? Really how big? Any W/cs in between? Just want to find Out cause I would like to know.

Long ago My friends had Seamonkeys Which were Brine shrimp! I allways wanted them To! But Mom Allways said NO SON they do not look like people. AND boy she was right!

But MAN I swear they were Monsters They never changed the water just added food. Please More info On this I find it very interesting :) And would like to know more.
Thanks
TakeCare,
Cary Gld!

Stark
01-05-2003, 04:46 AM
Yeah, from what I understand, the BBS’s nutritional value drops rapidly after hatching. Their nutrient mass is contained in the yolk sack. As they burn this up, lose their value as food. They can be fed green water and yeast, and you can try to increase their dietary worth with liquid nutrients like Selcon, but I agree with the above that its too much work for little reward.

01-05-2003, 04:48 AM
Strak,
You are Right! ;D

Discusgeo
01-05-2003, 09:32 AM
As soon as your BBS hatch rinse them out, replace there saltwater with fresh saltwater add your SELCON and they will feed on that. Then feed your Discus with the enriched BBS. The SELCON if not so you can grow large Brine Shrimp but to enrich there food value for the Discus. It would be a waste of time trying to grow BS to adult size when we have a whole lot of different foods to feed our Discus. Why do you think they catch them out of the Great Salt Lake? Becuase it's too much trouble to grow them in an Aquarium.

arpanlib
01-05-2003, 02:05 PM
hi cary,
first of all thanx for your mail and still waiting for another.

about the brine shrimps :
i got the decapsulated eggs from new technology UK and the brine shrimp food also from there.
i just make the salt water, add the eggs, aerate them for 36 hours and get a hatch of more than 90%
after two days i start feeding according to the instructions and at the 14th day they get big. big here means approx 1 cms and may be more. they also start breeding if you leave them alone and feed them regularly. no water changes required in this period. at least i have not done so and i have used the same water to grow another batch after feeding previous batch of the shrimps.

hope this answers your question and if you would like to know more, then please tell me.

arpanlib

01-05-2003, 07:55 PM
Thanks ;)