PDA

View Full Version : Trying to breed

troy
01-04-2003, 09:31 PM
Hi

I have two pairs of discus that have now reached 2 years of age ,i am now ready for the new challenge of trying to breed them.
Only problem is they are all from the same family , i have been told by one breeder that breeding them will create deformed fish. Another person who has breed my third pair that i sold him tells me you can breed brother and sister . He breed some fish that are now 4 months of age and 70% of the fish look ok , is this a good thing to do? or will they get problems as they age ?

I now want to try and breed my fish to see if i can do it while i wait for my new fish (of different blood line ) to grow . They spawn weekly but eat the eggs on the third day , a lot of them have turned white by this stage but not all of them, some are still a light tan type colour. I have tried meth blue but this seems to have no effect on the eggs turning white, I also see some that look like they have gone clear.
Can some one please explain to me what all these eggs are doing .

Troy

Carol_Roberts
01-04-2003, 09:57 PM
These eggs are not fertilized. they will turn dark with eyes after about 24 hours if fertile. Either your male isnt doing his job, the current is too swift or the water is too hard for the eggs to become fertilized.

If it was me I would work with this pair and try to get babies. If they are deformed you won't breed them again.

In any case it will help you figure out your water for when you do get that perfect pair.

Carol :heart1:

troy
01-05-2003, 02:29 AM
Hi Carol

Thanks for the info , The male dose seem to be doing his job, so i will look at softer water and slow the current down .
I have recently covered the tank , this seems to stop them eating all the eggs as there are about 15 left that look all blackish colour.

Troy

Carol_Roberts
01-05-2003, 02:54 AM
IF they're black now they'll be wiggling soon ;D
Carol :heart1:

arpanlib
01-05-2003, 04:14 AM
all the best and i am sure your fry will be with you soon.

arpanlib

Discusgeo
01-05-2003, 09:44 AM
Troy when I see my ready to spawn I do a quick water change to make sure I my water is clean. I also use water that is a little lower in temperature when I do it. I also shut off everything in the tank until they a completetly done. I can tell this because the male chases the female into a corner of the tank. I then put egg crate between them so the female can move around. I then turn on the air and heater about 30 minutes later to make sure fetilization takes place.

troy
01-05-2003, 08:05 PM
Hi Discusgeo

The egg crate you are talking about , dose that separate the eggs from the fish to stop them being eaten . I think this is what i need to do as my fish have eaten all the eggs again.

Troy