PDA

View Full Version : The wild world of discus nomenclature

soylent_john
01-05-2003, 01:34 AM
I'm new to the hobby, and all the names these fish have are THOROUGHLY confusing. I can see a few common trends, but i also see a bunch of fish with *almost* the same name, but they look completely different. Can anyone explain this to me? Pictures would help. And by special request, cary could i see a picture of your rose reds? Thanks everyone, you've all been extremely helpful so far.

-John

Denny
01-05-2003, 02:05 AM
congrats john

if the names of discus varieties has you confused, then you will fit right in with the rest of us.welcome to the club ;D ;D ;D

denny

soylent_john
01-05-2003, 02:11 AM
NWOOOO!!!!! There must be someone out there that knows what any fish looks like just by seeing the name!

Denny
01-05-2003, 02:14 AM
a good start is to go to the photo section and go through every thread as that will help you to put faces to the names better than any explaination

denny

01-05-2003, 02:15 AM
Non Color feed,
;) ;)

April
01-05-2003, 02:26 AM
ok john....you need to decide on some basic colours.
you have your blues and your greens and your reds..and then theres the pigeons. and the wilds . which they all derived from. sorry..if you start looking at every colour and pattern and evey name you will never end and you can not have them all. i tried!! believe me you cant keep up. they change faster than womens fashions. ive gone back to a few classic strains. still love the blues.

Dennis_Hardenburge
01-05-2003, 02:33 AM
No color food here, ok she ate ten tetra bits today

Denny
01-05-2003, 02:36 AM
dennis

is she doing what i think she is doing?

denny

April
01-05-2003, 02:45 AM
Dennis!!! the space needle!! be there in a few months from now!! told you..meet me at easter.
you can have that nice male rsg x snake. hmmmmm

soylent_john
01-05-2003, 03:00 AM
What is the name of that fish!!! That fish must become my fish!!!

arpanlib
01-05-2003, 03:29 AM
hi,
greetings from india.
welcome to the club.
am sure you will catch up with the fever the more you learn about discus. ;)

arpanlib

01-05-2003, 03:42 AM
O Boy Dennis,
Count Me In ;) Nice Nice Nice!

April
01-05-2003, 03:44 AM
uh.....Cary...mothers before sons!! i live closer. lol.

01-05-2003, 04:05 AM
But We have Fedx Mother ;D

And You have costoms :o

LOL!

April
01-05-2003, 07:31 AM
But i can meet Dennis at the space needle. lol.

Jason
01-05-2003, 08:41 AM
Dennis! Dennis! Dennis!

man you've got skilzz!!! what's the parameters? she looks young too, do you think that helped?

Liz_Streithorst
01-05-2003, 10:05 AM
April...Cary...No more family squabbling.

Besides, I got on the list before either of you ;D

Liz

mikeos
01-05-2003, 10:55 AM
NWOOOO!!!!! There must be someone out there that knows what any fish looks like just by seeing the name!

HO HO HO! ( after all its seasonal) you have got to be joking, ;D wilds, & common "basic" strains maybe, but the rest just seems to depend on where you are & who bred the fish.

e.g are sunset tigers & red dragons the same fish? What is the real diference between blue turks & royal blues?

If your confused, join the rest of us

01-05-2003, 10:57 AM
Wait a minute, back up the train....I have had a long standing order from Dennis for about 2 years......... ;D ;D
But I will be nice.... :-\
Dennis put me down for only 6....
#$&# I need more room

Randy

Dennis_Hardenburge
01-05-2003, 11:28 AM
April
That was suspose to be a female RSG X Snakeskin,
I think an easter egg hunt sounds fun, we could get the large plastic eggs, and every one put a Discus in one, hmm

Randy
What's this two year standing order, every time you e-mail me all you want are my favorite pairs, ha ha

Cary
I have three pairs plus two females of like fish ( curipera ), only most of them are to young yet, but I am really looking forward to working with them for a few years. This particular female has been driving the male crazy for a few days now but no eggs yet, soon I hope ;D ;D
Dennis

01-05-2003, 02:10 PM
Dennis, and is that a bad thing!!!!! ;D ;D
I know your demand for quality is the same as mine...

Randy

01-05-2003, 02:26 PM
LIZ, Back off Family first!

DENNIS, Looks like I might be getting some. So what we talked about on the phone a few weeks back is looking like a go.
Between you and Me we should be able to come up with Something ;D
HTH you Join the wild side!
Bestwishes
Cary Gld!

April
01-05-2003, 02:27 PM
Dennis that fish is not only i think male..its downright nasty.
he attacks everyone in the 100 gallon tank. thinks its somebody.
im sure the way he acts hes a male. girls are sweet and innocent of course....lol
Liz...im sure my name is number one on that list!!
ok i will take the second batch ..not with a spotted fish.
i want that fish with another red fish. how about one of my manas? howd that be?
can i borrow one?

Dennis_Hardenburge
01-05-2003, 03:40 PM
April
Your worse than my grandaughters, I want, Iwant, ha ha
Thats the problem I have with a large male snakeskin, he will kill any other males, and almost does females to.
Dennis

April
01-05-2003, 03:52 PM
ok so does that mean the rsg x deal is off dennis? lol
it was a nice calm innocent fish at first...
what good is a fish if it has to sit in consolidary confinement?
Cary...remember ...im your mother. ;D
i need curipuras. think i need a second job.

Liz_Streithorst
01-05-2003, 05:01 PM
April, start grooming more dogs. Cary sell more fish. Dennis...Well, $10. an inch really isn't enough (except to me of course).

I'm going to Brazil in 2004 to visit my sister in law who is who is from Rio. I'd love to have some company ;)

Liz

Dennis_Hardenburge
01-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Liz
e-mail me a picture of yourself, ha ha

No Brazil for me, happily married for 38 years, to old to change.
Dennis

Liz_Streithorst
01-05-2003, 06:14 PM
DENNIS :o It was the price of the FISH I was refering to when I said $10. an inch. Get your mind out of the gutter ::) Cary, April, I'm not looking to set up a 2 couple party. I want to row in the Amazon, not roll in the hay :-[

Liz

April
01-05-2003, 06:57 PM
ok Liz. your braver than me...im afraid of those man eating bugs and snakes.
i will just get my wilds from north america. but it would be quite the experience. fill us in when you return.

Dennis_Hardenburge
01-05-2003, 07:09 PM
:-X :-X :-X

Liz_Streithorst
01-05-2003, 07:15 PM
To be honest, April this trip is to visit my sister-in-law. But if I had someone along who actually knew what he was doing, I'd look into a trip to the Amazon. BTW, my sister-in-law flys from N.Y. to Rio every year. She says that if you hunt you can get a round trip ticket for $400. Can you believe that? It could cost me more to get to N.Y. that it will to get to Rio.

Liz

Liz_Streithorst
01-05-2003, 07:19 PM
Dennis, Here's my pic :gorgeous: I'm gorgeous :-* :-* :-*

Liz

RandalB
01-05-2003, 07:24 PM
Dennis,
Need another Booster pump?

RandalB

Ryan
01-05-2003, 07:31 PM
Well, Dennis has officially hijacked this thread with pics of those pretty wilds of his. LOL. Those fish are amazing. If the fry look anything like mom, I'll make room for some. I'll take the culls even (since I know Dennis is very selective and his culls are probably top notch in my book, hehehe)...

"I'll pay twenty dollars for one!" (South Park fans will know this quote)

Ryan ;D

Liz_Streithorst
01-05-2003, 07:37 PM
Ryan, Just don't offer him $20. an inch. No telling what you'll get yourself in to :o

Ryan
01-05-2003, 07:41 PM
April and I are planning to fishnap them. I'm going to come visit her in Vancouver and we're going to drive down to see Dennis. I'll bore him with some angelfish talk and put him to sleep while April's in the fishroom netting out wilds for us to take home...

Ryan :P

Dennis_Hardenburge
01-05-2003, 08:02 PM
I think I better keep quiet.

Liz
Air fare is not all that exspensive if you get tickets a month a head of time, it is always the cost of staying and how much you spend when gone from home.
We only take a real vacation about every five years and there is so many places in the world we would like to see.

Dennis

Tad
01-05-2003, 11:02 PM
Dennis will be the first to breed the Curipera's as he is the most deserving hobbyist that I know....$10 an inch lol.....more like $25 an inch..LOL...And CAry If I breed my Curipera's I will give you 24 just like you gave me...best of luck all,

Tad.

April
01-05-2003, 11:07 PM
O.K. Ryan . thats a deal. we'll pull it off. ;D

Tad
01-05-2003, 11:24 PM
Liz,
Watch out for Dennis lol,
After reading this thread completely, you got to remember that since Dennis stepped back to the wildside, he is Mr wild ;D

regards,
Tad ;D ;D

Liz_Streithorst
01-05-2003, 11:32 PM
Tad, Ryan's the one who needs to watch out when he and April go to steel the fish. He offered TWICE what I was going to pay ;D

Liz

Tad
01-05-2003, 11:58 PM
Liz,
LOL, ok if you got my backside I got yours lol ;D

Tad

01-06-2003, 12:22 AM
;D ;D ;D ;D
tanks tad!

Dennis_Hardenburge
01-06-2003, 12:31 AM
John
The original poster on this thread, if you are still following it, you can now see why all the discus names get confusing, we are all just a little crazy.

Tad
What, you told me you weren't going to try and breed them, looks like I won't have the market cornered.

Still waiting for eggs, the pair started cleaning the flower pot when the light went on at 6am and are still at it at 8,30pm, if they don't hurry up, I will have to spawn them like you do salmon when they come back to the hatchery, slit the female and drop the eggs in a bowl and squeese the male over them put the fish in the garden and hatch the eggs.
Dennis

soylent_john
01-06-2003, 12:38 AM
Good call on the insanity Dennis... And april, I think i'm going to have to get in on the order after this one... Damn car!

-John

April
01-06-2003, 02:20 AM
i know the car feeling john!! my car just cost me 700 on a new transmission. waaaaaaa. as a matter of fact my car ate all my fish money since summer.
not sure how you could wait though john...
but keep reading and drooling. lol.

Tad
01-06-2003, 02:34 AM
Dennis,
;D LOL, I am not trying to breed the Curipera's, but after seeing your female make runs on the cone after a little over a month, I may not be able to stop them ;). and if they happen to breed I have no space so Cary would be my first choice to take them off of my hands, but would be easier to send them North to Oregon ;), Thanks for all of your help Dennis,

Tad

Dennis_Hardenburge
01-06-2003, 11:11 AM
Tad
PH 5.8
conductivity 50 microsemiens
temp 81 to 81.5
go for it
Dennis

Liz_Streithorst
01-06-2003, 11:59 PM
Any eggs yet, Dennis?