PDA

View Full Version : breeding behavior?

ReeferKimberly
01-05-2003, 09:51 AM
at the moment i have six discus. 1 large adult, 1 slightly smaller adult, and 4 juvies. they were all in a 55 gallon tank by themselves. the 4 juvies always stayed together and the 2 adults stayed together. the larger adult would occasinally nip at the smaller one but the smaller never thought anything of it and continued to swim with the larger. yesterday i was watching the fish and noticed the larger of the adults was shaking vigorously in front of the smaller. i them moved them to their own 20 gallon tank with an overturned flower pot and a peice of slate. they have since turned very dark but i have not seen any more shaking. the hardness of the two tanks is the same, the ph of the 20gallon is slightly lower and i have peat in the filter to prepare the water. the temp is 84 and i am feeding them only live food. i continue to do 50% wcs daily. i havn't ever spawned discus b4 as i am relatively new. i am completely prepared if they pair off. does it seem hopeful? is it normal for one of the pair to nip the other sometimes (no chasing)? thanks,
kim :-*

peety
01-05-2003, 05:33 PM
Kim... I'm new at this too but suggest you read some of the other posts.
I tried moving a pair too early on and it doesn't work. You're better to leave the pairs with other fish so they learn how to defend their eggs. It takes a while but works (he says looking up at his breeding tank with 40 new fry) :)

It took my first pair about 7-8 spawns before I gave them their own tank, even then they ate the first couple of batches of free swimmers....

I just moved another pair back to the main tank since they won't stop eating fry >:( >:(

HTH
peet

ReeferKimberly
01-06-2003, 03:00 AM
thank you, i don't think they will spawn anywayz. no more weird behavior. i will move them back into the other tank later. i'm too tired at the moment. back to school tomarro aghhhhh!